Goodbye Jesus

It's Really Hard For Me To Understand Sometimes

mick

When I looked through the pages of horrors in the Bible, ponder the attrocities, and think about the horrorific unfairness of the doctrine of Hell, it just seems like such an open and shut case.

I had an email exchange with someone this morning I have known for years who is a Christian, and he at least admitted that these issues are hard. BUT... There is this part of me that justg wants to grab people by the throat and screem "Isn't this OBVIOUS to you now?" It seems so clearly to be bull shit, yet manr many high functioning, successful Americans believe this fucking Bible. I'm also amazed that I believed for so long. However, I was only a Christian like 4 years when I finally read through the OT and was shocked and horrorified. I stuffed how I felt for many many years. WHen I finally revisited it, I jettisoned it with relative ease. Ease meaning that it was easy to see that the whole thing is rediculous and false. Not easy in the wake of suffering and the healing required.

When you consider the bible for what it is...folk tales, hero stories, ancient wisdom literature, poems...and in the NT, a fictional story that builds a fabulous tale incorporating ancient godman traditions around a man who may or may not have actually existed, accompanied by a bunch of lectures and diatribes in the form of "letters"...it makes sense. It's the foundation for the creation of a religious tradition aimed at unifying a people under an authoritative banner.

I have come to an understanding of sorts with human nature. There are just some folks out there that would simply not be able to survive truth or coming to terms with what would be perceived as an ugliness or negative in their way of thinking.

Sugarcoating in my opinin, is just another human survival mechanism.....some need to have it and are not strong enough to look beyond.

(and that is completely acceptable to me also...as long as someone else does not infringe upon me...)

Sugarcoating in my opinin, is just another human survival mechanism.....some need to have it and are not strong enough to look beyond.

Exactly.

If you want to believe, you can make yourself believe. And fear of death and/or brainwashing are strong motivations in such cases.