Goodbye Jesus

Why do you bow to authority/law?

chefranden

Does having seen through the authority of "God" mean I am no longer hoodwinked?

Is she coming or going?

Lady%20Justice%20043_Bee_County_Courthouse_2005-March-03_(Teresa%20Holland)_16.jpg

Fuck you for asking!

:woohoo:

(this answer is all Fweeterino's fault.)

Fuck you for asking!

:woohoo:

(this answer is all Fweeterino's fault.)

... and just how in the frikkin' ass-neck am I to blame for that? :twitch:

Nice pic Chef Randen. They've gussied the ol' gal up some haven't they? What was the occasion might I ask?

To answer your poll, I voted nr 4. I think it was, to wit, "Those in authority will kick my ass if I don't". I believe that's the main reason people bother to work for a living rather than steal, why they get a driver's license, pay their taxes and so forth, and for what it's worth, for some things that's exactly how it should be.

Mind you, when it comes to certain laws, I wouldn't say I break 'em, I just don't obey 'em, see? For example when my country introduced Draconian gun laws which were forced on my State by our Federal Government (completely ultra vires our Constitution by the way), let's just say that certain items I may or may not have owned at one time grew legs and vanished into the scrub, leaving me with no clue as to where they now reside. (I really must do something about my memory lapses one day mustn't I?)

Now before I completely forget what I was going to say, here goes. I know christians here who bitched loud and long about those laws and still bitch about 'em for that matter. My point is, if they really cared so much about the principle of the thing, they would all have suffered the same dreadful memory lapses as I did, wouldn't they? Their memories would have for preference started to fade when the groundwork for these said laws was being laid. I suppose believing in god endows one with a very good memory though.

I recently spoke with one of their number and put this question to him. I suspect you know his answer, if you don't it's to be found in the Epistle to the Romans, Chapter 13 et seq. Yes Virginia we Antipodeans do read the same bible y'know. As I said, where some things are concerned I suffer from memory problems, but not to the extent that I forgot this line from that same most holy book, "The fool makes a rod for his own back". Enough said?

Casey

Mostly I respect the office. That goes for those laws that are not based on such obvious reasons as human rights et cetera.

I don't need a law to know that killing another human being without the direst of need, or cheating on your spouse who absolutely trusts you, or stealing someone's purse, isn't a good idea. These laws, I think, shouldn't even be a debate topic for any reasonably sane human. Well, the cheating thingie isn't exactly a law... at least not here in Germany. But you know what I mean.

Where law starts to bother me is things like "I know I'm not allowed to pass this traffic light while it's red, but then, I'm the only person in at least 500 m around this place, so who the fuck would be hurt if I ignore that thing?".

In such cases I mostly respect the office and stay on this side of the law. Not always, admittedly. My traffic light example descends from a very real situation I was confronted with for years of my life - a stop sign at a crossroads. Okay, normally a very good idea to make people stop right there (you were confronted with that sign after driving downhill, and the road crossing yours was the main road, so to say). However, rolling down from that hill, you could usually see the crossing road for at least half a kilometer unless it was late summer, just before harvest. Therefore, as long as I could be sure that there was no one I could bother, I did hit the brakes while approaching that crossroads but didn't stop.

... and just how in the frikkin' ass-neck am I to blame for that?  :twitch:

Cause your like Robin Williams in the Dead Poet's society and I was only finding my walk.

Uh.

Gee, you know what I should stop trying to be clever while drunk. :twitch:

How to be tolerant and uncompromising at the same time.

Why do I bow to authority?

I put other. Although several do apply in some cases.

Society must be regulated for it to prosper, but there are times that those in power exceed their authority and that the population must buck the system and correct the wrongs. This form of rebellion that is written of in the declaration of independence and is the force behind the common man in the system. When you get down to brass tacks, the citizens outnumber the government.

SO most of the time I would answer that I believe in the social contract, but contracts get broken daily.

I voted for "avoidance of getting my ass kicked" too

Funny how, when you're getting screwed you're just supposed to bend over and take it. (sometimes with no prior vaseline application)

I mean, c'mon. My fuckin income tax is twice my house payment.

I recently bought a new pickup truck, and had to pay sales tax on what it SHOULD HAVE cost, not what I actually paid for it.

People steal from me every gawddamn day. They just don't go to jail for it.

Talk about moral relativity.

"MOLON LABE"

n

Guest Tiffany

Those in authority will kick my ass if I don't.

Guilt and innocence is a matter of timing, what's illegal today is legal tomorrow.

I just do my best not to get my ass kicked in the process.

Molon Labe? What the f--? I know - google!\\

Molon Labe: "Come and get them" The most notable quote in military history.

Determination not to stand mute. Battle cry in the war against oppresion.

I'll be goddamn. Maybe google really is my friend.

p.s. how much can your brain stretch before it starts to ooze out your ears?