Goodbye Jesus

Finally Starting To Feel Peace

shotsy

I'm one week from my 8 month apostasy anniversary and in the last few weeks I feel like I've finally come out on the other side. I no longer feel bitter toward Christianity and I finally am starting to feel like life is really worth living again and that I'm comfortable just being an atheist and being myself.

I think something that was difficult at first was the residual feeling that non-christians couldn't be happy and that depth and meaning came only through Christianity, which I have now experienced to be false. Like I've said before, if God gives our lives meaning, what gives God meaning? God's just a security blanket. Someone who we imagine is big and strong and looks out for us, and this somehow gives us meaning. But, as with the creation issue, where does the chain end? If we were created in the image of God and God needs meaning in his life too, he must have a pretty sad and pointless existence if there's nobody above him to give him meaning. No wonder he created humans to torture! He was bored!

Anyway, using Plato's allegory (which was of course co-opted by the "apostle John"), I think my eyes have finally adjusted to the bright light of the real world after living in a cave of shadows. The anxiety and desire to crawl back to the chains of my previous existence have passed. Yes, the real world sucks in some ways, but that's just how it is, and we can deal with it and do our best, and be satisfied that we tried.

Welcome to the other side!

As you've seen, the claim that you can't have happiness and depth as a non-christian is simply a falsehood.

It didn't hold up for me, either, and it looks like xians who live under the fear, guilt, and manipulation seem considerably LESS happy and deep to me.

Hey Shotsy!

I'm with you on this one. I too have no desire to return to the lies and brainwashing. I've learned to accept reality for what it is. I don't need a security blanket to cope with life anymore. It's a scary but freeing feeling all at the same time.

I guess for me since I'm not living in constant fear of an imaginary being I'm a lot happier. I don't worry about every thought or action and if I'm going to be sent to hell. So I'm free to live my life as I please, not according to ancient myths.

Welcome to reality. It's not always a bowl of cherries, but it's great, you'll love it. :68:

Hey Shotsy!

I'm with you on this one. I too have no desire to return to the lies and brainwashing. I've learned to accept reality for what it is. I don't need a security blanket to cope with life anymore. It's a scary but freeing feeling all at the same time.

I guess for me since I'm not living in constant fear of an imaginary being I'm a lot happier. I don't worry about every thought or action and if I'm going to be sent to hell. So I'm free to live my life as I please, not according to ancient myths.

Welcome to reality. It's not always a bowl of cherries, but it's great, you'll love it. :68: