Goodbye Jesus

I Fucking Hate Computers

woodsmoke

I'd still try to send it back under warranty. The worse thing that can happen is they can tell you "no" and you're out some time, effort and the cost of shipping. The upside is you get a working drive back.

I'd also add a decent fan or two or just replace the case with one with a better airflow while I was at it (of course leaving the cover off is an option...I used to do that for years until the cats came to live indoors).

mwc

But.. the HD is damaged, just as a result of case design rather than internal defect. The thing was fried and hasn't worked since.

Ah, well then id try and return it.

As for the heating issue, if the tower is in a confined space that will build up the heat too, you could move it to a more open space.

No, the $95 was for the hard drive alone. All told I've payed over $1200 for the whole computer, but I've been relatively fortunate in this having been the only hardware to give me problems so far.

$95 for 320GB? That's pretty cheap. You might wanna up the quality quotient on the HDD. :shrug:

/target thread

/cast Raise Dead

/cast Polymorph: Horse

/beat

LMAO. Been playing a lot of Wow lately myself, got my human lock to 70 and started a tauren druid. :D

I'd still try to send it back under warranty. The worse thing that can happen is they can tell you "no" and you're out some time, effort and the cost of shipping. The upside is you get a working drive back.

I'd also add a decent fan or two or just replace the case with one with a better airflow while I was at it (of course leaving the cover off is an option...I used to do that for years until the cats came to live indoors).

mwc

I agree with this. The worst they can tell you is no. And an extra fan is always handy.

$95 for 320GB? That's pretty cheap. You might wanna up the quality quotient on the HDD. :shrug:

Hard drives in general are pretty cheap, it's not a sign of poor quality. That one's actually a little expensive.. you could get a 400gb Seagate on Newegg for $80 last time I checked.

Heh, Woodsmoke, it could be worse.. we have electrical problems in our house and eventually almost all of the hardware in my comp got fried. I ended up spending over $1,000 last winter replacing everything but the RAM, drives and case.

The piece of shit just went up in smoke (not literally, but it sounds about like an 85 year old woman with a hole in her throat and won't boot up).

It must be a damned Dell as I paid $818 for this crappy computer three years ago and it has been nothing but crap from the day I go it with software problems and constantly breaking down. I will never again buy a Dell as they are terrible computers and other people have told me the same.

Funny, I have a Dell XPS and have had no problems with it.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Surprisingly, it works great. I bought it at work for $150.

Alright, I'll give it a try this week.

As far as putting another fan in, I'm really not sure where I could. My case isn't compact, but it's packed pretty full of hardware. More to the point, there's no space by the HDD slots to put one, which is where I'd really need it.

Then I must have bought a lemon because my XP is nothing but trouble and has had to have a new mother board, a new sound board three times, a monitor twice, a key board twice,speakers three times and dozens of software problems. It breaks down several times a month and computer experts have all told me that Gateway, Compaq and Dell are the three worst computers on the market and that people only buy them because they are affordable which was the reason I first bought mine.

I hope next time I buy a computer I can afford to buy a decent one that won't constantly break down, but regardless I will NEVER buy another Dell as long as I live because it reminds me of the Yugo and the Gremlin which everyone that owned them stated they were the worst cars ever built as they constantly broke down.

Get a Mac, all problems solved!

Of course, I still use the PC for gaming

See, that's 90% of my computer use. ;) I built the thing specifically as a gaming rig. Were it not for that, I'd have gone Mac years ago.

;)

And I suppose that Macs are 100% immune to hardware failures, let alone problems?

:ugh:

Granted that there is no blame on M$ Windoze for a hard drive failing, Linux on PCs are far more reliable than Windoze, if not as reliable or even moreso than Mac OS.

(Hey, if Jun plugs Mac, I can plug Linux too. Fallenleaf, you KNOW you want to plug BSD.)

And I suppose that Macs are 100% immune to hardware failures, let alone problems?

No, nothing is. Mac probelms are far and few between these days though. At least all the hardware that goes into a Mac is supported by Mac service and repairs.

See, y'all are missing the point here. Mac, Linux, BSD, what-have-you; they all suffer from the same lack of market exposure which makes them ill-suited for gaming. I've said several times now the moment Mac or Linux has as much potential in that area as Windows I'll jump ship faster than Bill Gates can blink, but until that happens, I'm stuck feeding the 800lb gorilla's monopoly.

Unless of course you're just trying to start a geek fight, in which case who am I to stand in the way? :P

Eh, we're just starting a geek fight.

Of course, non-Microsoft Approved™ operating systems do suffer from the Chicken and the Egg problem. Gamers won't switch to those platforms until their games are ported, and yet those games won't be ported to those platforms until after the gamers switch.

See, y'all are missing the point here. Mac, Linux, BSD, what-have-you; they all suffer from the same lack of market exposure which makes them ill-suited for gaming. I've said several times now the moment Mac or Linux has as much potential in that area as Windows I'll jump ship faster than Bill Gates can blink, but until that happens, I'm stuck feeding the 800lb gorilla's monopoly.

Unless of course you're just trying to start a geek fight, in which case who am I to stand in the way? :P

The only game I play these days is WoW, which is playable on both Mac and PC platforms. :)

Now...

Star Trek is better than Star Wars! XD

(J/k)

Eh, we're just starting a geek fight.

Of course, non-Microsoft Approved operating systems do suffer from the Chicken and the Egg problem. Gamers won't switch to those platforms until their games are ported, and yet those games won't be ported to those platforms until after the gamers switch.

Yeah, I can agree with that. It sucks, but as you said, chicken and egg. I like my games, so I'm not going to deprive myself of them by switching my OS, so the cycle is perpetuated. Hopefully something will come along someday to break it, but until then that's where we are.

Star Trek is better than Star Wars! XD

You'll get no argument out of me on that. Cliche space operas are a dime a dozen, but there's only one Gene Roddenberry. :grin:

Hopefully something will come along someday to break it, but until then that's where we are.

Well, I have heard of gamers who set up dual boot. And I have seen *some* games running on other platforms, but they aren't CounterStrike or Duke Nukem Forever.

I got mine for to write my books and store them and to look up things and use email, but it could barely do any of those things. Then right after I got it hackers went in and practically all but destroyed it and then virus got in until I finely found some really good free virus protection as a lot of the software I bought to protect it was as bad as the virus. But the machine its self has never really been any good and I still have a warranty on it until next July. If I ever get another computer I will let a friend of mine build me a custom machine with the best components, the highest memory, five fans, a large flat screen and key board with large letters and numbers. He builds his own super computers and never has any problems with them and he says he would no more have a Dell than a compaq as both are duds and the only reason the government and banks have them because they are cheap.