Goodbye Jesus

Prayer Failed

Ex-COG

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test

Large study had Christians pray for heart-surgery patients

NEW YORK - In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/

I love how the researchers have to fall all over themselves to avoid condemnation from theists. "Researchers emphasized that their work can't address whether God exists or answers prayers made on another's behalf. The study can only look for an effect from prayers offered as part of the research, they said." So, what does the study prove? God doesn't answer prayer, noooo, just that they can't predict the effect of prayer. So if they had found that those who were prayed for had better results and faster recovery from the surgery, would they have made that same statement? I doubt it; they would have been chortling that prayer works.

Wasn't this study done before, or was the Templeton Foundation hoping for different results?

The prayers failed because they were testing god, doncha know.

• Admin

This is from March 30, 2006 -- a year ago.

Guest skeptic griggsy

Garnet, theists always spout some rationalization!Errantists rationalize the bad book.They rationalize that they are the golden mean between fundamentalists and us when they are on the same road with the fundamentalists-nowhere.They do not see that theistic evolution is an oxyomorn that contradicts natural selection and thereby violates Occam's razor.

No wonder it sounded familiar! I found the link through NoBeliefs.com; they must not have checked the date right either. :Doh:

• 5 weeks later...

Perhaps this is slightly off-topic. I looked for a prayer thread and found this one.

I just found out that non-prayer works, too. My cousin has me on a mailing list. She put out a prayer request for her friend in Michigan who has some kind of cancer. She had regular treatments for it and lo and behold the tumors are shrinking!

Oh, I failed to mention. It's because of all the prayers that the tumors are shrinking. I didn't pray but no one checked up. Just got the message that my prayers helped. I guess that is evidence that non-prayer works, too.

Oh, I failed to mention. It's because of all the prayers that the tumors are shrinking. I didn't pray but no one checked up. Just got the message that my prayers helped. I guess that is evidence that non-prayer works, too.

I could argue that your non-prayer healing effect took away mine for back in 2003 someone I know died from cancer. I know that I prayed for everyone to heal from cancer wayyy back in 1993. Since God is simply timeless, he must've used the healing non-prayer medicine for your non-prayer that was meant for mine... but thats alright I forgive god for his sins.

:D

I could argue that your non-prayer healing effect took away mine for back in 2003 someone I know died from cancer. I know that I prayed for everyone to heal from cancer wayyy back in 1993. Since God is simply timeless, he must've used the healing non-prayer medicine for your non-prayer that was meant for mine... but thats alright I forgive god for his sins.

:D

:HaHa::):HaHa::) Well may be God heard my prayers too so long ago. The really wierd thing is that we still have poverty, hunger, desease, and war after all the prayers that have been said for centuries.

We had that one Christian here praying for us. Big long thread. His prayers for my particular issue hasnt resulted in anything yet of course.

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test

Large study had Christians pray for heart-surgery patients

NEW YORK - In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/

I love how the researchers have to fall all over themselves to avoid condemnation from theists. "Researchers emphasized that their work can't address whether God exists or answers prayers made on another's behalf. The study can only look for an effect from prayers offered as part of the research, they said." So, what does the study prove? God doesn't answer prayer, noooo, just that they can't predict the effect of prayer. So if they had found that those who were prayed for had better results and faster recovery from the surgery, would they have made that same statement? I doubt it; they would have been chortling that prayer works.

Wasn't this study done before, or was the Templeton Foundation hoping for different results?

Heh. I remember this study. I used it in an argument about god with my mother. It led to a long sweet moment of silence.