Goodbye Jesus

Jesus, The Valueless Messiah

Kurari

I got dragged to church this morning by my friend and roomate. I ended up having to go because she was graciously going to take me shopping today because I desperately needed some new clothing and don't have a car to get to the stores I can afford easily. Her church is a few cities over and over 45 minute drive away, and since it was simply more practical for me to go there with her and kill a couple of hours, I said ok. I don't really mind being in churches.

Being close to Easter, today's sermon was about Jesus's "journey to the cross." The interesting part about this sermon to me was the pastor discussing that Jesus entered the city and the people waving palm fronds when he entered. Apperantly the waving of palm fronds was really a politcal statement, and the people were hoping the messiah would be more of a political activist and save them from the oppresive religious caste system as well as the Roman rulers. I didn't know this about the palm fronds. Jesus of course did nothing to influence the political oppression and people rejected him for that.

Of course the Christian spin on it was that wasn't the point! The people rejected him because he wasn't doing what they hoped their messiah would do....he was performing God's plan and they just didn't understand that! He was sacrificed as the Lamb of God to save us from our sins because he loved us! He did something so much more important than free people from a violent and oppressive empire, he saved our very souls from burning in Hell! Sounds more like out of the frying pan and into the fire quite literally to me.

But hearing this really struck hom that Jesus did...absolutely nothing. Nothing of value. He died for a bunch of hoohoo mysticism. Which was really God's own fuck up in the first place. This of course is assuming Jesus and God even exist, of which the Almighty has never seen fit to clarify or verify conclusively.

It just really drove home that everything I was seeing around me was so utterly pointless. I was standing in a sea of mass delusion. All these people taking their time congregating, crying, and singing hymns, praising something so illogical and somehow twisting this silly story into something more personal and applicable to their lives. In the testimonials one woman got up and talked about going through breast cancer and another guy had a bad heart. They both had surgeries coming up and they were both saying "God has a plan for me, God has a plan for me..."

The insanity of grief, I suppose. I feel kind of bad about nitpicking this, because those illnesses are massively shitty things to go through and personal strength is really hard to come by sometimes. But seriously...God's plan is really to give that woman cancer, and destroy that poor guy's heart? His plan to fix things was to nail some poor shmuck to a cross? He can't think of some more constructive plan for their lives that don't include wretched and horrific bodily pain? The more I learn about Christianity and God concepts, God just looks more and more like the most amazing idiot one could concieve.

The kicker of all this was in the end, was the pastor saying, "Lord, you have truely proven we do not make God in our image..."

K,

Ever watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian"? "How shall we fuck off oh Lord?" :)

Dunno what hot/cold age where or whenever would have made the middle east as we know it today a paradise when JebuzZ supposedly walked it. However we do know that the former Cannan area was and still is a flea bitten, dusty, scant watered pest hole that is otherwise useless, save for people getting pissed and blowing themselves up in...

Paradise? Not since man walked that area..

Can't see JebuzZ adding "value" to an area already stripped of any value.. Human or spititually.

kL