Goodbye Jesus

Long Time Ex, First Time Poster

Robbobrob

I just discovered this place yesterday, and I'm already growing to feel comfy here.

I had struggled to accept Jesus into my life for decades. My parents were never really religious (Sunday morning came too early for them). But I kept trying to belong to something that I knew was bigger than me. Christianity was all I really had access to.

Then, in college, I was given the Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. Changed my perspective and led me on a four year intense study of religions other than Christianity (even got to get graduation credits for my studies through the history dept).

After college I lived among the witches of Salem, MA. I've studied Crowley, I've studied Kabbalah. I've even studied Discordianism. I married a Jew, but could not bring myself to convert. And after 5 years, we split.

But those nagging, what if, thoughts still kick around. What if I am wrong and "they" are right. Annoying to doubt myself. Annoying to allow others to influence how I feel about myself.

I became a Unitarian Universalist. No creed, but a very nice community of people. Many a Christian, many an atheist amongst them. But we all respect each others' views. Even just got married there. They give me the freedom to believe what I want, but I have the institutional shield of a "church". Don't know why I needed it, but it has made me feel better about who I am and what I believe.

In my cyberspace life, I help moderate a parenting site. There are many, many, many fundemental Christians on there. I am most of the time the lone outspoken Heathen in the bunch. Some don't mind me, some like my different take on things, but some either ignore me or dislike me for my views. Of course, some try to convert me any chance they get...because they won't give up on my "lost soul". And I know some pray for my soul every night. I've even taken to putting up a psychic "Jesus Shield" to protect me from the constant bombardment of Christian energy.

So, when I found this place, I was happy. A place where I can read posts not slanted by the "narrow path to Heaven". good to see that there are others struggling with how to deal with those pesky religionists. Again, just as with the UU, it feels good to know I am not alone.

So, that's my ramble. Ick...I'm "this" close to erasing the whole mess. But here I am, pressing "post"....

• Admin

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to our playground! :wave:

And keep up the good work with the parenting site. Even one voice out there who doesn't encourage parents to use Babblical manipulation on their kids is a valuable thing. People like you are the future of humanity, as Xianity wanes and folks explore non-xian religious and philosophical paths.

Ick...I'm "this" close to erasing the whole mess. But here I am, pressing "post"....

Don't worry. Clapton does count! Welcome! :grin:

Welcome to the fun!

And keep up the good work with the parenting site. Even one voice out there who doesn't encourage parents to use Babblical manipulation on their kids is a valuable thing. People like you are the future of humanity, as Xianity wanes and folks explore non-xian religious and philosophical paths.

I help host their Spirituality and Faith forum. It's me, a fundie, and a Mormon. Makes for a rather diverse cast. The Fundie tries to convert everyone, and I try to show them that there is more out there than Christianity. Most topics get no response, or a "thanks for sharing", but there are those on there too scared to acknowledge they actually like my more open world view. The closed minded out number us there, but they no longer have a stranglehold on the conversation (compared to when I first joined and only Bible quote threads were to be found in the forum, and hardly any real conversation).

So, that's my ramble. Ick...I'm "this" close to erasing the whole mess. But here I am, pressing "post"....

I'm glad you hit the post button! Welcome to Ex-C!!! :woohoo: Salem MA is one of my most favorite places to visit, I try to get there at least once a year!

Robbobrob, glad you didn't hit the erase button. I liked your post. The fact that the Bible quotes are less suggests that your presence does count even if you're alone. Explore this site. Here we are in the majority when it comes to Christians. We out-number them way by far.

Welcome, Robbobrob! This is a great place to hang out when weary of those pesky religionists, although they sometimes follow us in here if someone leaves the screen door open. (Takes a few practice swings with a big-ass flyswatter)

Your journey sounds a lot like mine, complete with Crowley and Kabbalah studies. And it sounds like your UU community is a great place to share ideas on Life, the Universe and Everything.

Thanks everyone. Means a lot to be welcomed.

Salem MA is one of my most favorite places to visit, I try to get there at least once a year!

I've lived in several of the towns up there (though not any longer). I love downtown Salem, walking around, smelling the insense drifting out of the pagan shops. BUT the rest of the north shore area....well, if it fell into the ocean tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it (can you tell I have a particularly strong opinion about the communities up there, and not even about religion or the fact my ex-wife lives up there...LOL).

Salem MA is one of my most favorite places to visit, I try to get there at least once a year!

I've lived in several of the towns up there (though not any longer). I love downtown Salem, walking around, smelling the insense drifting out of the pagan shops. BUT the rest of the north shore area....well, if it fell into the ocean tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it (can you tell I have a particularly strong opinion about the communities up there, and not even about religion or the fact my ex-wife lives up there...LOL).

Oh I love that entire area, I'd also love to live there someday, but don't want to pay masshole taxes. :HaHa: I live in NH,but love getting over to Salem MA during October, and to Boston, Mainly Fenway for a few Sox games!! :woohoo:

But if you lived there, you'd learn just how awful the drivers are. Worst in the state. My dad and step-dad both said they would prefer not visiting me when I lived there, because the driving was so bad.

I currently live near Gillette Stadium, so traffic only gets bad about 8 to 10 times a year, when the Patriots are in town.

But if you lived there, you'd learn just how awful the drivers are. Worst in the state. My dad and step-dad both said they would prefer not visiting me when I lived there, because the driving was so bad.

I currently live near Gillette Stadium, so traffic only gets bad about 8 to 10 times a year, when the Patriots are in town.

Oh really? My husband has Season Tickets to the Pats, him and a small group of his friends. :eek: I've never been to a game, Football isn't my thing. I did however, go to spookyworld one year when it was still Foxboro,(er, behind Foxboro) Extremely expensive but worth every penny, We had a blast!

As far as the masshole drivers, the name of the game is who owns the road, most of them don't know that I do :HaHa:

Oh really? My husband has Season Tickets to the Pats, him and a small group of his friends. :eek: I've never been to a game, Football isn't my thing. I did however, go to spookyworld one year when it was still Foxboro,(er, behind Foxboro) Extremely expensive but worth every penny, We had a blast!

Been to a few of the games over the past 3 seasons. My wife is on the waiting list for season tickets...she is a bigger fan of the Patriots than I am.

My wife used to work Spookyworld when it was in Foxboro. We had several of the haunters/actors at our wedding. I bet she scared you when you were there too. :HaHa: