Goodbye Jesus

Mormons vs. christians and hypocritical skepticism

been borg again

I live in state with a huge Mormon population, we have Mormon seminary biuldings next to every public high school,( on private property) which the kids even get a school credit for attending. Which is sickening, and no one seems to care.

Anyway...

you christians ever witness to mormons?

Do you christians see Mormonism as kind of a silly religion?

DO you ever stop to think, "How can they believe that stuff?"

Do you get angry when Mormons pathologicaly ignore the evidence against their religion?

Examples:

Lack of archeological evidence

negative testimony from Joe Smiths own family and friends, of Joe Smiths poor character and habitual lieing.

Joe smiths childhood facination with buried treasure ( rememebr the golden plates?)

Joe SMiths failed businesses of finding buried treasure

The LACK OF EVIDENCE for the Golden plates.

Joe SMiths multiple failed prophecies.

blah blah blah.

So as a nonMormon ,

its easy to look at Mormonism from the outside and see the rediculasness of beleiveing Mormonism, how it requires blind faith, how the Mormon Church demonizes or ignores historical evidence against Joe Smith,

I have a few mormon friends, and sad to say I know more about their own history than they do. The university of Utah has a whole collection of items likes Joe SMiths personal Library, with written notes, and shows exacty Joe Smiths influences and sources of his original ideas.

I am amazed at how Mormons ignore and pathologicaly stay away from any hsitorical sourse ( from Joe Smith himself) that would be remotely critical of Mormonism.

the Mormons have sucessfully mythologicalized Joe Smith into something untouchable.

So when you christians see Mormonism from a valid skeptical point of view, and your able to see how weak the foundations of the faith is,

why dont you apply the same standards to your own faith?

Their is no original gospels,

no extra biblical evidence of Jesus.

in many ways there is less evidence in christianity than there is in Mormonism.

Would you disagree?

Nice, BBA :17::17:

i don tknow why I bother posting these, Ive been here for months and have yet to meet a christian here who seems to be a real Apologist.

I guess I just write my random thoughts on these subjects, to commit them to memory, and places like christianforums and CARM wont let me be blunt and too the point without banning. which is frustrating.

Oh well, just prooves they something have to hide, in the same way

Mormon forums are so intolerant and cant handle anything critical.

3 cheers for cults

i don tknow why I bother posting these, Ive been here for months and have yet to meet a christian here who seems to be a real Apologist.

We scare them! :)

They are afraid, very afraid... :grin:

I have a copy of the book of Mormon. But no old/new testament. That's a bit strange, maybe it's a sign.

Joe was right all along.

I guess I just write my random thoughts on these subjects, to commit them to  memory, and places like christianforums and CARM wont let me be blunt and too the point without banning. which is frustrating.

Oh well, just prooves they something have to hide, in the same way

Mormon forums are so intolerant and cant handle anything critical.

3 cheers for cults

If you stop posting these good questions we will........I don't know. We will not like it if you stop.

I agree. Sad but true. Frankly, I think we scare them. We joke about it, but I think it really is true. Between the sharp and well trained minds here and the wealth of factual material, I'm sure that a lot of hopeful evangelists come in to "save" us, look around (as one would hope they would, reading a bit before posting) and decide to leave quietly by the back door. Have you ever taken a look at our Christian membership list? How many of those names have you ever seen post?

For the last two years on this site, I've lived in hope of some true theologian who's remained Christian coming onboard, someone with whom we could have a really meaty discussion, but it hasn't happened so far.

Oh well. In looking at the apologetics "scholarship" in Europe and America, I realize that it's no great surprise. Disappointing, but not surprising.

I do find it a hopeful sign however, that there is such a dramatic exodus from Christianity among the better trained and more deeply thinking clergy at higher scholarly levels. It shows that they're actually thinking about what they're taught and being honest about what they find in their research.

The world is better off for it, but my own entertainment on this site suffers for it. Oh, my cross to bear! :lmao:

I live in state with a huge Mormon population, we have Mormon seminary biuldings next to every public high school,( on private property) which the kids even get a school credit for attending. Which is sickening, and no one seems to care.

Do you live in Idaho?

That's where I was born and raised.

you christians ever witness to mormons?

When I was a christian I was trying to witness to a mormon buddy. He took me home to meet his father who happened to be a retired linguistics professor. He went through John 23 (If I remember correctly) showing me how Jesus actually acknowledged that he was in fact not god, but merely son of god. He essentially chewed me up and spit me out. It was quite amusing for the old prof I'm sure.

Do you live in Idaho?

That's where I was born and raised.

LoL

how did you guess? i live about 10 miles from Boise.

Idaho has a higher Mormon Population per capita that Utah.

Hey Vigile, do any of these churches sound familier? maybe we attended them together.

VBF in meridian

Vineyard

Calvary

Midway bible missionary/

I currently live in an area that is 'chock-full' of Mormons...and I had the opportunity to engage with one at work today.

Yikes.

We were at lunch together, he's the customer, I'm the vendor. Halfway through the meal he asks if I know where I'm going to 'spend eternity.' Uh oh....

This is tricky, because I really need to be as tolerant as possible...I am trying to sell him something.

However, when it became clear I was very skeptical of his religious claims, he smiled, and told me I'd come around some day. He told me he KNEW that his Mormon beliefs were true, even without irrefutable evidence, because he'd had a 'burning in the bosom.' I guess it's kind of like an internal speaking in tongues or something...

All efforts to get him to examine why he believed in his theology, his sacred texts, etc were met with a vacuous smile, and a condescending nod. "I used to be just like you, skeptical of things. Now I just believe" he says to me...like I'm the defective one.

Sigh....

On the plus side...the business deal is looking good. :)

I do find it a hopeful sign however, that there is such a dramatic exodus from Christianity among the better trained and more deeply thinking clergy at higher scholarly levels. It shows that they're actually thinking about what they're taught and being honest about what they find in their research.

The world is better off for it, but my own entertainment on this site suffers for it. Oh, my cross to bear!  :lmao:

Hopefully the visitors come in, and read and learn, and maybe start to re-evaluate themselves and their religion. I’m just hoping…

But it is really fun to beat one down…

“Waiter, Waiter! More Christians to this table please, I’m not full yet!”

When I was Christian, I had to fight reason and rationality to find the best arguments why belief was a necessity and “logical”, but the logic always led the other way.

Now, as an apostate, everything is so easy. It’s easier to wreck something than to build it. If you build a card house, it takes hours to put together, but only a fraction of a second to blow it down.

Religion is only a house of cards.

To you all Christians that read this:

I used to be on your side, fighting the same fight you are right now.

When I de-converted, life turned so easy and simplified.

This is the life guys. It’s so beautiful on this side.

Any Christian who spouts off that the Mormons believe in bunch of ridiculous crap really crack me up. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I was a Mormon for two years. I found their teachings easy to swallow once generic Christianity had primed my Deep Throat.

LoL

Hey Vigile, do any of these churches sound familier? maybe we attended them together.

VBF in meridian

Vineyard

Calvary

Midway bible missionary/

Not hard to guess. I graduated from Nampa High and did my undergrad work at BSU. I believe I've been to Calvery once or twice and I tried Vinyard over off of Chinden at least once. Small world.

Not hard to guess.  I graduated from Nampa High and did my undergrad work at BSU.  I believe I've been to Calvery once or twice and I tried Vinyard over off of Chinden at least once.  Small world.

wow I guess it is a small world.

DId you study linquistics and your in Russia?

I knew one dude that did both his name was Jack.

your name isnt Jack is it?

Ill shit my pants if it is.

I currently live in an area that is 'chock-full' of Mormons...and I had the opportunity to engage with one at work today.

Yikes.

We were at lunch together, he's the customer, I'm the vendor.  Halfway through the meal he asks if I know where I'm going to 'spend eternity.'  Uh oh....

This is tricky, because I really need to be as tolerant as possible...I am trying to sell him something.

However, when it became clear I was very skeptical of his religious claims, he smiled, and told me I'd come around some day.  He told me he KNEW that his Mormon beliefs were true, even without irrefutable evidence, because he'd had a 'burning in the bosom.'  I guess it's kind of like an internal speaking in tongues or something...

All efforts to get him to examine why he believed in his theology, his sacred texts, etc were met with a vacuous smile, and a condescending nod.  "I used to be just like you, skeptical of things.  Now I just believe" he says to me...like I'm the defective one.

Sigh....

On the plus side...the business deal is looking good.  :)

I've had Muslims and plain Christians tell me the same thing. They all must be right. If they only knew it they could get along.

Personally I get the burning in the breast after about 5 cups of coffee. That must mean Coffee is the true God.

LoL

That's because Salt Lake City has become an evil den of iniquity...or something...and we throw off the stats for the rest of the state. I heard recently that we also have more gay people per capita in SLC than San Francisco does.