Goodbye Jesus

The God Who Wasn't There

R. S. Martin

I'm trying to watch The God Who Wasn't There as announced by Zach here. He says it will be shown all day on Easter Sunday. This is Easter Sunday, right? (I do tend to get my days mixed up pretty bad.) Anyway, I clicked on the links provided and I'm downloading what's at that link. But what I am getting is a story about Jesus that was shown around Christmas. Where do I find The God Who Wasn't There?

LOL! What a pun! If god wasn't there then I guess he can't be found. But I would like to see the video or YouTube with that title. I can't really spend money on it but if it's shown free I'd like to see it.

Yes, that is where I am. I also saw your first post where you said to copy and paste the title into YouTube search and that there is more than one episode. I have a really slow internet connection so it takes an hour or more to load the thing. My strategy is to load something while I do other things, then replay and watch it. The problem with this thing is that we're well into Easter Sunday and if I load the wrong thing and have to play around several hours trying various things, the day will be over and I didn't get to see it.

QUESTION: If there is more than one episode, do you remember, is the first part the story of Jesus? If not, then I am loading the wrong thing. How do I find the right one? Where is the YouTube search? I really want to see this but I don't want to spend all day running down the wrong path. It's about a fifth of the way through loading and is showing the scene of the crucifixion. Is that what it's supposed to be showing?

Yes, that is where I am. I also saw your first post where you said to copy and paste the title into YouTube search and that there is more than one episode. I have a really slow internet connection so it takes an hour or more to load the thing. My strategy is to load something while I do other things, then replay and watch it. The problem with this thing is that we're well into Easter Sunday and if I load the wrong thing and have to play around several hours trying various things, the day will be over and I didn't get to see it.

QUESTION: If there is more than one episode, do you remember, is the first part the story of Jesus? If not, then I am loading the wrong thing. How do I find the right one? Where is the YouTube search? I really want to see this but I don't want to spend all day running down the wrong path. It's about a fifth of the way through loading and is showing the scene of the crucifixion. Is that what it's supposed to be showing?

The first episode is the one where it starts where he's telling the story in 6 minutes or less, it's kind of funny.

You may want to skip the Passion of the Christ scenes, which will be later on in the documentary. I'm a horror fan and I found those really disturbing. I still can't believe any parents would take their children to see anything like that or rent it at home. The point was that it was the bloodiest Jesus film ever made and the best-selling one. Says a lot about a group of people when they want the one with the most violence. :ugh:

The first episode is the one where it starts where he's telling the story in 6 minutes or less, it's kind of funny.

Okay. I've been loading for about an hour and that is about how long it takes to load six minutes. It's now moving beyond the story of Jesus and into Paul. Maybe there's nothing new in this video for me, since I've been studying church history and theology. I hoped there would be something about god being absent when people prayed desperately for help when in serious life situations.

You may want to skip the Passion of the Christ scenes, which will be later on in the documentary. I'm a horror fan and I found those really disturbing. I still can't believe any parents would take their children to see anything like that or rent it at home. The point was that it was the bloodiest Jesus film ever made and the best-selling one. Says a lot about a group of people when they want the one with the most violence. :ugh:

When the Passion of Christ movie came out my New Testament prof expressed his disgust and disappointment with the movie. He definitely did not think it was appropriate for families with children. And he's a devout Christian. Seems only some kinds of Christianity go for this kind of thing.

Okay. I've been loading for about an hour and that is about how long it takes to load six minutes. It's now moving beyond the story of Jesus and into Paul. Maybe there's nothing new in this video for me, since I've been studying church history and theology. I hoped there would be something about god being absent when people prayed desperately for help when in serious life situations.

That part is more about the gaps in the Bible and how people apparently forgot about Jesus, and how even Paul and that at least some writers of the gospel seemed to think he was a mystical being rather than a real one. The movie does a good job of pointing that out.

It also does a good job of comparing Christianity to Pagan myths, and noting that some people are clueless about similar mythologies, but have no trouble believing literally in the Bible.

The problem with this thing is that we're well into Easter Sunday and if I load the wrong thing and have to play around several hours trying various things, the day will be over and I didn't get to see it.

If you have a slow Internet connection, then it might be difficult for you to watch, especially since so many people are tapping into the feed. If you're not able to watch it today, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail a copy of the DVD to you.

Zach, thanks for the offer. I was able to watch it late last night. Maybe it was because it was so late....I did not get the message about the God who wasn't there. By that I mean that I don't know where the title came from or why they called it the god who wasn't there. Now if most of the scenes had been of the type "my god, my god, why hast thou forsaken me" I would know. That is what I had expected. As stated, maybe it was there but I was too sleepy to get it. Maybe someone can fill me in?

RubySera-

The documentary is the story of Brian Flemming's examination of the historicity of Jesus, and his discovery that a mythical explanation (i.e., the person named "Jesus" in the Gospels wasn't a real person necessarily, but was a mythical figure like Hercules or Gilgamesh who would have been understood by the earliest Christians in this manner) is more than just plausible, but is actually a reasonable conclusion based on what we know about contemporary religio-mythical concepts, as well as historically incredulous claims and anachronisms in the Gospels.

This thesis takes up the first half of the documentary- the rest of the movie is an examination of modern Christianity, built around Sam Harris' arguments against the reasonableness of moderate Christianity, and culminating with a personal journey back into his Christian past to "exorcise" his fears of damnation by virtue of denying the Holy Spirit.

The title, as I understand it, is primarily in reference to the first half of the movie, and his mythical Jesus thesis- thus, the God (Jesus) who was unquestionably assumed to exist in history, more probably was a mythical figure, and was thus "not there." At any rate, this is the section of the film that gets the most criticism, as the Mythicist Hypothesis has been confined so far to a handful of books, including Earl Doherty's "The Jesus Puzzle," as well as Robert Price's "The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man," and "Deconstructing Jesus." From my experience, the average Christian isn't so troubled by accusations that Christianity can be taken to extremes and embrace violence, as is shown in the second half of the film. However, the argument that Jesus was never a historical person cuts to the root of their theology, and gets them really riled up.

On eo f the things that irritated me somewhat about TGTWT was that some of the 'biblical' quotes they used are all but impossible to find (I even hit the internet, when my small collection of Bibles and Concordances let me down) either they're made up, or they're from a more obscure translation than Young's!

Zach, thank you for filling me in.