Goodbye Jesus

How Many Were Drawn And Quartered On Your Birthday?

Rhia

So, my mind when I'm bored tends to get a bit silly - that is, silly enough to go looking up what catholic saint's share feast-days with my birthday.

So I found this really scuzzy, text-only site that made me both laugh and cringe at the same time.

My roommate and I have had much hilarity looking up various dates and comparing who had the most beheadings.

So, I don't know if I wish to rant about the absolute stupidity of the catholic church (you'll see why when you open the link) or just want to make merry poking fun at all those stupid people who have be made into saints for such random things as carrying one's head for 4 kilometres before dropping dead, or the guy that decided to have a "baptism by blood" and later was drawn, quartered, and beheaded.

Soooo... have fun (or annoyance) at reading some and thusly mocking them.

Saints of the Day Threads

So, I don't know if I wish to rant about the absolute stupidity of the catholic church (you'll see why when you open the link) or just want to make merry poking fun at all those stupid people who have be made into saints for such random things as carrying one's head for 4 kilometres before dropping dead...

That's impossible.

Just goes to show that the Saints are fiction. Sure, the historical person may have existed, but making up nonsense about them is like modern day fan fiction about rock stars and movie stars.

Heh. Found it ironic that one saint died in 666.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fe...l?msg_id=008cUP

St. Leuconus (French, bishop, d. 666)

I'm surprised they didn't take it as a "sign".

Bleh. Nothing spectacular about May 9th. :HaHa:

I more interested in what famous infidels share my birthday. Most notably, the Marquis de Sade.

For my birthday...

St. Basil of Ancyra (Galatian [Turkish], priest, tortured and martyred [pierced by red-hot spikes] by Arian heretics in 362) Owww :blink:

St. Nicholas of Flue ["Bruder Klaus"] (Swiss, farmer, soldier, judge, father of 10, hermit, mystic, consumed nothing for 21 years except the Blessed Sacrament, d. 1487 [canonized 1947]) :wacko:

On my birthday:

Two martyrdoms by arrows

Two by beheadings

One by stoning

Priests & missionaries in Paraguay (no actual number given) martyred by (no doubt extremely pissed off) indigenous peoples

Two hacked to death by tomahawk - no doubt by more pissed off locals.

That's a respectable body count if you ask me. ;)

St. Nicholas of Flue ["Bruder Klaus"] (Swiss, farmer, soldier, judge, father of 10, hermit, mystic, consumed nothing for 21 years except the Blessed Sacrament, d. 1487 [canonized 1947]) :wacko:

[Dr. Evil] Riiiiiiiiiight. [/Dr. Evil] :HaHa:

No one was hideously tortured on my birthday. Weak. :Hmm:

There's a lot of French and Italian/Roman folk honoured on my big day.

As for the death toll:

One of the Frenchmen got guillotined, an English Jesuit priest was tortured and hung, a Palestinian dude was killed by a Muslim sheik, a bunch of Romans were slaughtered by angry locals in Northern Africa, and two Germans met the business end of a sword. Charming.