Goodbye Jesus

Bible errors, problems, and quirks

Mythra

Boy, the list is growing.

Here is another good one. I posted it somewhere else in this forum, but I lost track, there's so much going on.

In John 12:21, the writer references "Bethsaida in Galilee". No big deal.

Except Bethsaida was on the other side of the Sea of Tiberias, not in Galilee.

And, of course, Bethsaida was John's birthplace.

I mean, what's the chance that you would be born in Miami, and accidentally call it Miami, South Carolina?

Gee. :Look: I wonder if John really wrote this gospel at all.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

This is one of my fave's.

Mt. 5:22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court, and whoever shall say to his brother 'Raca' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say 'you fool' , shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell."

I remember reading this and thinking damn! That's kind of harsh. Going to hell just for calling someone a fool. If that gets you landed in hell, it must be considered sin. So I looked up the word. Greek transliteration is "moros". Here are some other places that word is used.

Mt 7:26 "And everyone who hears these words of mine, and does not act upon them, will be like a FOOLish man who built his house upon the sand"

Mt 23:17 "You FOOLs and blind men; which is more important, the gold, or the temple that sanctified the gold?

So much for Jesus being the "sinless" sacrifice. And Jesus preached against hypocrisy. :brutal_01:

Guest JP1283

Jesus calls the Pharisees "a generation of vipers." He called them a name, did he not? Isn't namecalling a sin?

Jesus calls the Pharisees "a generation of vipers."  He called them a name, did he not?  Isn't namecalling a sin?

I'm born in the Chinese year of the snake (viper), so I wouldn't mind...

This is my favorite.

Titus 1

12. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith.

Like cut and paste from philosophy class.

- A Cretians said; all Cretians are liars.

Paul (or whoever wrote Letter to Titus) did not learn Philosophy that well, or was sleeping during the class. The statement is not to tell everyone that Cretians are liars, but to show an example of a paradox. So to use it in a letter to say that people from Crete are liars, that’s stupid and ignorant.

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/CretanLiars.htm

Epimenides the Cretan 6th century BC

This statement, because it was uttered by a Cretan, is true if and only if it is false. The Cretan Paradox, is the earliest known (attempt at formulating a) mathematical paradox.

One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are always liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Bible, Titus 1, verse 12-14

Interestingly, St. Paul makes reference to this paradox, in a way that shows he knew of it but did not understand it: He says of Cretans that "they are all liars, as one of their own has said." But the context (Titus 1:12-14) suggests that he took it seriously as a denunciation of Cretans.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest priorWorrier
I recognise the name... You've been here before, haven't you?

Yea, I spent a lot of time reading the two prior incarnations of this site. I don't really have much more to say than what I wrote before, but I enjoy reading. A lot of the same things seem to get rehashed endlessly, which was why I sent the link. Maybe I'll learn how to spell Bilble soon.

2Ch13:17 500,000 Israelites die in a single battle. This is more than were lost in any battle of World War II, and amazingly is more than the number of deaths from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. At Gettysburg, the greatest battle of the Civil War, the defeated army lost 5,000 men. :shrug:

Hilarious! :lmao: Ask any Christian this: What was the largest single battle, which resulted in the most fatalities? They'll definitely fall for it!

When I was in high school and still counted among the faithful, I decided to celebrate Easter by reading the account of the end of Jesus' life in each of the four gospels. Well, they don't all tell the same tale. Spent many happy months trying to rationalize that one away.

Here's another good compilation from the Infidels site.

DAMN! :twitch: thanks for the link PriorWorrier

Guest ravnostic

My favorite of all time is the stories of creation in Genesis disagreeing on the details (i.e. the order of events.)

It's ironic that the fundies claim that evolution is not viable, despite thousands of tests and studies and support from hundreds of scientists, yet they're alternative single source doesn't even agree with itself, despite it's 'inerrancy.'

Civilization breeds sheep. I'd rather be a shepard.