Goodbye Jesus

Faith And Certainty

R. S. Martin

Faith is not needed where certainty exists.

That comes from Heimdal's avatar. Under "any gods" he say "the creator." I suppose that, like most fundies I've talked to, means that we should not question god or the bible. It's as though after we know for sure about a specific question they can't answer, there is nothing left to trust or have faith about. I don't understand that. It is impossible to get through even one day without faith. I need faith that the material this house is built of is strong enough not to have the house come crashing down on me in my sleep. I have to have faith that the drivers at the intersection will not break the law and go into high gear while I am crossing the street on a green light.

Those are just a few of the daily things in which we need faith. Thus, despite the absolute certainty of what the law says about green lights, motorists, and pedestrians, faith is still needed. The same would apply to god. I could never learn all there is to learn--not in one lifetime. Nor could all the combined knowledge of all the scientists that have ever existed. I just don't get it why Christians say these sorts of things.

Faith is not needed where certainty exists.

That comes from Heimdal's avatar. Under "any gods" he say "the creator." I suppose that, like most fundies I've talked to, means that we should not question god or the bible. It's as though after we know for sure about a specific question they can't answer, there is nothing left to trust or have faith about. I don't understand that. It is impossible to get through even one day without faith. I need faith that the material this house is built of is strong enough not to have the house come crashing down on me in my sleep. I have to have faith that the drivers at the intersection will not break the law and go into high gear while I am crossing the street on a green light.

Those are just a few of the daily things in which we need faith. Thus, despite the absolute certainty of what the law says about green lights, motorists, and pedestrians, faith is still needed. The same would apply to god. I could never learn all there is to learn--not in one lifetime. Nor could all the combined knowledge of all the scientists that have ever existed. I just don't get it why Christians say these sorts of things.

Faith is a product of our relationship with God but many are deceived, according to Rev. 12:9 and continue to be deceived about God's Word. An example of this;

Are you born again? Do you sin?

many would answer yes to both questions, thus showing their deception, according to 1 Jn. 3:6-10

We are told to examine ourselves to see if we are in the Faith, but most profess that which they do not understand.

The above is NOT faith, but blind faith, which is not of God, but rather man.

Hi Earl,

I once came across a posting such as yours, you know, stating that people who profess those words are sometimes not true christians. Another christian came in and said that the poster wasnt a true christian becase he/she were judging peoples faith.. it carried on ad nauseam..

If the whole concept of faith were based on how you described, how would you differentiate it from a christian who honestly professes their faith but dont belong to your branch of christianity?

How would you take or feel if they say what you want to say to them, back to you?

Faith is a product of our relationship with God but many are deceived, according to Rev. 12:9 and continue to be deceived about God's Word. An example of this;

many would answer yes to both questions, thus showing their deception, according to 1 Jn. 3:6-10

We are told to examine ourselves to see if we are in the Faith, but most profess that which they do not understand.

Earl, you throw in that part about deception. That allows you to keep whatever you want of the bible and condemn whomsoever you want and still claim faith. Tell me, on what is your faith based? No bible quotes. No preacher quotes. No religion/faith quotes. This has to come out of your own self.

Earl... thanks to the Bible and all the stuff in it, it is impossible for someone to not sin. Anyone who answers no to the question "do you sin" is committing the sin of lying.

Thanks to the Bible, everyone sins even if they try not to.

Thanks to your argument, and the Bible, everyone who is a Christian is professing faith in which they do not understand... which, as you say, is not faith of God, but is blind faith of Man.

Congratulations Earl... you've just argued that no-one is a Christian and everyone is going to burn for it.

Hey, thanks, CT. I couldn't make head or tail of his theology. Another xian who fails to "speak of his faith" in intelligible terms and Jesus commands him to speak about it clearly.