Goodbye Jesus

Us Americans, Today Is Patriots Day

nivek

"Shot heard 'round the World" fired at Concord Bridge so long ago.

Been shrouded and covered, tried to be memory holed by those who hate what this Day means.

Beastie went to school with fire in his eyes and several printed off 'net sources to fire off his History classes.

k, g-g-g-g----son of the Revolution, FL

I have no real knowledge of what exactly patriots' day means in the US, but I trust your integrity Niv... and raise my horn to celebrate ;)

The Concord Hymn

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1837)

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,

Their flag to April's breeze unfurled;

Here once the embattled farmers stood;

And fired the shot heard round the world.

The foe long since in silence slept;

Alike the conqueror silent sleeps,

And Time the ruined bridge has swept

Down the dark stream that seaward creeps.

On this green bank, by this soft stream,

We place with joy a votive stone,

That memory may their deeds redeem,

When, like our sires, our sons are gone.

O Thou who made those heroes dare

To die, and leave their children free, --

Bid Time and Nature gently spare

The shaft we raised to them and Thee.

Emerson was a man of peace, but he recognized that some things are worth fighting for. At the dawn of the Civil War, he was said to remark, "Sometimes gunpowder smells good."

Patriot's day - April 19 - Waco?

While I certainly learned about the beginnings of the Revolution--Concord, Lexington, etc.--I don't think I've heard of "Patriots Day". It could have been mentioned in High School, but I don't remember. It doesn't seem to be celebrated in my state.

I thougth Bush named 9/11 as "Patriots Day"?

I give a salute to all good and loyal patriots....I give my government the middle finger..... ;)

Ditto that :fdevil:

In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell. H. L. Mencken

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious. Oscar Wilde

You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it. Malcolm X

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. Samuel Johnson

The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border. Pablo Casals

In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell. H. L. Mencken

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious. Oscar Wilde

You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it. Malcolm X

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. Samuel Johnson

The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border. Pablo Casals

I've always associated the above with Nationalism not Patriotism. But that's just me. :shrug:

I've always associated the above with Nationalism not Patriotism. But that's just me. :shrug:

The definition of the word has changed lately. It has come be a codeword used by Republicans to mean anyone that agrees with them. Some of the radical Right have even used the term to imply that those that do not accept the 9/11 Commission Report are patriots and those that don't buy into the conspiracy theory are not patriots.

Then you have the USA Patriot Act; a piece of legislation that actually takes away some of what the real patriots fought and died for.

Patriot's Day is a holiday in only a few states back East and is for the Revolutionary War heros. Patriot Day is what bush dreamed up for the victims of 9/11. It will no doubt get some people super pissed off.... but that's never stopped me..... I fail to see how a victim of a terrorist attack can be seen in any way as a patriot.

But why should love stop at the border. Pablo Casals

What a great quote!

But why should love stop at the border. Pablo Casals

What a great quote!

I like the Malcolm X quote too. It's so fitting for the "patriots" that blindly follow bush.

What normally seems to be meant by "patriotism" in shrubbenführer's reich is in fact nationalism. :(

As for patriotism defined as "loving your own", however, I say go patriots! ;)

We're all human. Why would a human on the other side of an imaginary line be deserving of any less love?

We're all human. Why would a human on the other side of an imaginary line be deserving of any less love?

To cultivate "love for one's own" doesn't necessarily mean that love is excluded from all the "others". Racists and hardcore nationalists aside, of course.

To cultivate "love for one's own" doesn't necessarily mean that love is excluded from all the "others". Racists and hardcore nationalists aside, of course.

That's the thing.... those racists and hardcore nationalists take it to the extreme and turn into xenophobes. Some even take it further, as the ones trying to run this country have, and actually believe that their own country should rule the world. What bush and his handlers (all followers of the Project for a New American Century) want, is no more than Hitler wanted, world domination. In the USA those that love all of humanity never get into power.

Excellent. You're winning my love today Dave.

Excellent. You're winning my love today Dave.

That's just what most any Humanist would say. It's something I thought long before I even knew what a Humanist was.

Dunno. ;)

I just think that feelings of love can't be wrong per se, or can they? ;)

Guest Jo Jo

by "beastie" you mean ian right? how is he? haven't talked to him since what...before i left my mother's? lol

more on topic--why do americans try to hide this? are they afraid?