Goodbye Jesus

Turn The Other Cheek Does Not Mean Be Subservient

R. S. Martin

I tohught I was agreeing with you ;)

Oh, well dang nab it use your sarcasim font.

Rule of thumb... I'm typing - chances are I'm being sarcastic... :)

I should have known, freakin Brits :P

I should have known, freakin Brits :P

To know me is to love me...

Jebus said to be a pussy and turn the other cheek, but somehow he magically meant something else? Okey dokey, smokey :wneywhatever:

While I applaud all attempts to reinterpret the plain text of the Babble to mean more reasonable things, the Babble says what it says, period. If it were meant to say something else, it would. Playing games and making excuses is just doing what the most fervent Xian apologists would do - making Jebus seem relevant and somehow noble, even when he clearly acts like a jerk.

I don't see why people just call a spade a spade and be done with it :shrug:

Because if you cut the crap out you get 'Try and be nice'... which won't fly as a religion.

Because if you cut the crap out you get 'Try and be nice'... which won't fly as a religion.

Yeah - kinda ruins the elitist high Xians usually get from thinking that they're getting on the good side of a cranky-ass god, I'd imagine...

In one!

To stick my 2 cents in...

HRH King James? It's sad that Christians think that a man who was openly screwing his pages, and a power-hungry misogynist (I think it all goes hand in hand for both the time and the personality) was so thusly inspired by god that his was the only "correct" translation.

To those Christians who think that Jesus spoke English, I have no words; but wish to slap them with the very book they cherish.

As to the whole American/Canadian/Brit thing?

I'm an American, who hates being American; and not just because of my president. It's to the point where I've been doing my own genealogy in hopes to find some loophole that will help me leave faster. I don't care if it's Canada, Britain, Republic of Ireland, or the rest of the EU - I just want out!

Too bad that so far it looks like most of my family has been around since the first settling of Jamestown; and that just by writing this I probably have ancestors who fought in every war since this country was first being invaded by Europeans spinning in their graves.

Good thing I don't believe in an afterlife, or I'd expect a good bitch-slapping upon my own death. :wicked:

While I applaud all attempts to reinterpret the plain text of the Babble to mean more reasonable things, the Babble says what it says, period. If it were meant to say something else, it would. Playing games and making excuses is just doing what the most fervent Xian apologists would do - making Jebus seem relevant and somehow noble, even when he clearly acts like a jerk.

I don't see why people just call a spade a spade and be done with it :shrug:

I couldn't agree with you more, Varokhar! I fail to see why it is useful to try and harmonize the unhelpful teachings of that one dude. As a matter of fact, there is a nice page on the Iron Chariots Wiki site that confronts the supposed 'wisdom' in the beatitudes. That article can be found here

Neil Douglas-Klotz' translations of the beatitudes makes them a lot less idiotic... but that's taking what would have been the Aramaic and giving the shades of meaning to the words... KJV, and later translations are pretty poor.

Put it this way, if I'd encountered the 'more correct' aramaic stuff first, I'd have been more sympathetic to the philosophy (The god bit still wouldn't work, but that's beside the point)