Goodbye Jesus

Unbelievers Is A Misnomer

R. S. Martin

Things are a bit different in Australia I think. We used to be a fairly conservative country where religion was concerned but that changed at the end of the Seventies. I am amazed when I look at American christianity, it seems to be everywhere in the US. I'm also amazed when I read you can be refused a job because you aren't a christian. We have our churches and fundies too, certainly. (We call our fundies "Wowsers" though).

Although we have our wowsers, they mostly keep themselves to themselves, although every Mardi Gras a certain Fred Nile makes a show of himself protesting gay rights.

I suppose I'd be called an unbeliever, but I'm not, you know. Everyone's gotta believe in something, right? Well, I believe I'll have another drink.

Casey

Well, religion's a weird thing in the US. I think the recent election of the Dems goes to show that we're tired of getting pushed around by the neo-con evies (evangelicals).

I live in a deeply conservative small town. I would say evies make up about 40-50% of the population. As for the rest of us, Christian and non-Christian alike, we view them as being rather bizarre fanatics.

Honestly, when I read about some poll indicating that Americans think atheists are the worst people, I really can't understand that, even from my town. I think it's because the evies are so motivated to participate in every single poll, vote, and media outlet they can.

To me "unbeliever" is an incredibly arrogant and condescending terminology used to classify anyone, not just atheists, as somehow inferior to them. That is what their entire faith is based upon, the idea that they are lower than scum but somehow superior to the rest of us "worldly people." Even if you believe in a God Christians antogonize you for it.

To me "unbeliever" is an incredibly arrogant and condescending terminology used to classify anyone, not just atheists, as somehow inferior to them. That is what their entire faith is based upon, the idea that they are lower than scum but somehow superior to the rest of us "worldly people." Even if you believe in a God Christians antogonize you for it.

Agreed!

Agreed!