Goodbye Jesus

Christian Motivational Speakers

LosingMyReligion

It seems like the majority of fundie pastors have transformed into motivational gurus. Their sermons are not of the typical "fire and brimstone" variety but more akin to secular public speakers who tell people how to get rich and etc.

In these "sermons" the pastors are always speaking about using God for your higher purpose or, "God has a miraculous plan for your life(*barf*)". These congregants pile into these cathedrals and wait with baited breathe about how they can better manipulate God for the myriad of reasons on their collective agendas. Joel Osteen is the worst(Well, admittedly, his speaking voice really grates on my nerves). He talks about how God is mysterious and we cannot comprehend his awesome power. Yet, he consistenly reiterates the point to these people that they can do certain things that god likes and gain "favor." Alright, God is either an omniscient cosmic entity or some personal little friend...Which is it? I doubt that an all powerful creative force cares about whether or not one person, out of nearly 7 billion, gets a raise on his or her job.

Furthermore, how is this any different than a secular motivational speaker? The only thing you need to do is take the word "God" out and you have a motivational speech, which is just as effective as a sermon.

Won't fundy preachers do pretty much anything to fill up the pews? Preaching in a way that motivates people to show up when the church doors are open would be a good start, in my estimation.

I think it's the recreational drugs they ingest.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm..... recreational drugs...........

I think it's the recreational drugs they ingest.

I agree. that Wacky Tobaccy can do some crazy shit to yah if you get the good stuff.

Guest Florida
It seems like the majority of fundie pastors have transformed into motivational gurus. Their sermons are not of the typical "fire and brimstone" variety but more akin to secular public speakers who tell people how to get rich and etc.

In these "sermons" the pastors are always speaking about using God for your higher purpose or, "God has a miraculous plan for your life(*barf*)". These congregants pile into these cathedrals and wait with baited breathe about how they can better manipulate God for the myriad of reasons on their collective agendas. Joel Osteen is the worst(Well, admittedly, his speaking voice really grates on my nerves). He talks about how God is mysterious and we cannot comprehend his awesome power. Yet, he consistenly reiterates the point to these people that they can do certain things that god likes and gain "favor." Alright, God is either an omniscient cosmic entity or some personal little friend...Which is it? I doubt that an all powerful creative force cares about whether or not one person, out of nearly 7 billion, gets a raise on his or her job.

Furthermore, how is this any different than a secular motivational speaker? The only thing you need to do is take the word "God" out and you have a motivational speech, which is just as effective as a sermon.

I think there is a difference in that the "sermon motivation" is that you can gain favor of God... but if you can gain favor with God... then you can lose favor also. It's the fear factor of the "all seeing invisible captor". Once they give themselves over to that... it's welcome to "Hotel California" time...

Other than that, I think that motivational speakers (secular and religious) are in it for the money. Don't get me wrong... I think they truly believe what they are saying because it works for them. Too bad it's only them.

I don't think there is much between sermonizing and motivational speaking. For those who aren't motivated by the fear of Hell, it's motivation of "What God Can Do For YOU!"

Mostly it's just speaking about how to make God into your own image with a few simple rules. God can somehow make time and care about everybody's concerns, no matter how piddly they are. So, of course he cares about your raise at job, or whether you can find your car keys or not.

Nothing gets people interested in anything faster than when you make it all about them.

You say that like it's a bad thing ;)