Goodbye Jesus

Bad Christian Day

sarahgrace

Today just seemed to be my day to run into crazy-ignorant psycho fundies. 2 girls who work across the hall go to the same church (a stupidly huge cult-like prosperity gospel megachurch) . I can't even remember how we got onto the topic, i think we were talking about some people we know... then the one girl asked what church they go to so I told her. Then she asked if I'd ever been, and I said I had. Then she told me where she goes ("yeah, me too!!" chimes the other girl) and asked me if I'd been there. I replied that I had. She asked where I go to church now. I said I don't. She asked why, and I said because I don't like it. I didn't want to just out and out tell her I don't believe because a) she's pregnant and testy and B) she's extremely confrontational. I hoped it would end there but the two of them got onto this HUGE love-on-god fest, talking about how awesome church is and how awesome god is and how they'd be dead in gutters without him, etc. etc. etc. Then they started ripping on evolution and big bang and stuff and were saying COMPLETELY stupid and ignorant things (shocking!). I just said "I don't want to judge you, or what you believe in, but I really feel like I should tell you that the way you are speaking is betraying a gross misunderstanding of the scientific concepts you're trying to argue against." They gave me these shocked looks and were like "you have no idea - of course we know what we're talking about! we've watched debates and movies!!" I just reiterated that the way they were talking led the educated listener to believe they had absolutely no idea what they were talking about and maybe they should look into it more so they can better understand the concepts that they're decrying. The one girl actually said "I don't want to hear your side. What I believe is what I believe, and because it's what I believe, I'm right."

WTF?!

Then they started laughing at the heathen, saying things like "Oh well, the unbelievers will have 7 years of tribulation to decide what they believe." I piped in there - "just so you know... there's really not much biblical support for that kind of 'left behind' theology." They got all offended again and started talking about things their pastor had told them, and I said "yeah, that's fine that your pastor told you that, but if he told you that's what the bible says, he lied. read it for yourself." Then they did the cop-out of "all these different theologies and ideas... it doesn't really matter 'cause I know where I'll be. What I believe is what I believe, and that's that - I've made the choice!" *insert vacant, starry eyes here*

I seriously wanted to TEAR MY FUCKING HAIR OUT. Luckily I was saved by the delivery man and made my escape.

Then I had to come home and endure a wedding shower with a bunch of narrow-minded christian girls who had nothing better to talk about that husbands and babies and how lovely and wonderful marriage is, and how blinded gays and people that support gays are, and so on. Barf. I hate christianity today, more than usual. It just makes me sick and sad to come face-to-face with the reality that all these people have turned off their brains. Most of the time I feel, deep down, that surely, they can't REALLY believe this stuff, right? But yeah. Yeah they do. And so did I. I think that's what sucks the most, knowing that I was just like them not too long ago... and all I can do is internally beg them to come back to the light and turn on their brains!

UGGHGHGG!!!! Sorry guys, just had to get that out. I'm SO frustrated right now. There's really nothing you can say to people like these to get them to either shut up or think about what they're saying. It's nuts.

I guess if there's any deity out that that has any active interest in you, judging from this one day it must be Loki. :(

That must have been one shithole of a day indeed. (((((sarah)))))

It's garbage like you describe, sara, that lead me to make a decision that at first was tough to implement but has been easier with practice. I do not discuss religion with Christians at all. If I'm at work and someone raises the subject, I state plainly that I'm not comfortable with such a discussion in a work environment and I change the subject. If that doesn't work, I exit the conversation politely and quickly. If that doesn't work...I get nasty. "What part of I don't want to talk about this don't you understand?" It's cause some hard feelings with the more hard-core Christians, but frankly, I don't care. Christians no longer get a free pass from me.

I have a similar policy with my mostly Southern Baptist family. It's a bit easier for me since they live in another state. Again, it's caused some hard feelings but now they are used to it.

Christianity is toxic to me. I've reached a point in my life where I'm just not going to put up with Christian crap anymore.

Move to civilisation....

After two years in Alabama, Michigan is indeed far more civilized. Unfortunately, the fundy rot has permeated this entire country. And I can't leave the US unless I'm willing to give up my marriage. For reasons I shan't discuss, hubby can't get a passport. :(

For reasons I shan't discuss, hubby can't get a passport. :(

WTF?! Did he dare to publicly criticize Der Führer or what? :blink:

Oh well. If you don't want to talk about it, okay. But I feel compelled to express my puzzlement. ;)

It's garbage like you describe, sara, that lead me to make a decision that at first was tough to implement but has been easier with practice. I do not discuss religion with Christians at all. If I'm at work and someone raises the subject, I state plainly that I'm not comfortable with such a discussion in a work environment and I change the subject. If that doesn't work, I exit the conversation politely and quickly. If that doesn't work...I get nasty. "What part of I don't want to talk about this don't you understand?" It's cause some hard feelings with the more hard-core Christians, but frankly, I don't care. Christians no longer get a free pass from me.

I've found that approach tends to work well. I do my best to be polite about it, but I make it firm that religion is not a topic I care to discuss.

For reasons I shan't discuss, hubby can't get a passport. :(

WTF?! Did he dare to publicly criticize Der Führer or what? :blink:

Oh well. If you don't want to talk about it, okay. But I feel compelled to express my puzzlement. ;)

He's Cat Stephens... :wicked:

So much for the 'Free World'

Nah...Cat can't get into the US. Hubby can't get out of the US. :vent:

Thanks everyone... I think I'm going to have to adopt a 'no chatting re: religion' policy at work... which is kind of unfortunate 'cause with others, I sort of enjoy talking about it. It has to be the right person though, and I guess for fear of having fundy psychobitches leaping through that open door, I'm going to have to shut it to everyone. I don't think I'm going to pursue any new friendships with xians too hard either... too much hassle. No run-ins today though - luckily though I have my heathen lesbo friend down the mall that i can go rant to when things get bad. ;) Not to mention coming back here to let off some steam! boy, this is a great forum.

I don't think I'm going to pursue any new friendships with xians too hard either... too much hassle.

This policy works well for me. I live in an area where there are plenty of secular, non christian folks for me to hang out with. I have found Pagans to be a pleasant lot.