Goodbye Jesus

June Heretics Meeting W/ Robert Price

lkcollins

HI all,

A group of us meet every month at the home of Dr. Robert Price. A few days before each meeting he sends us the topic . A few months ago the topic was "The Secret" and you all were a great help, as I was not familiar with that.

Well, this month's topic has really got me stumped and I am throwing it out for you to mull over and comment on.

Here it is..

"This Month's Topic: Why Organized Religion Is or Is Not Relevant to You"

"We can also explore what the proper role religion should have for an individual and society. And be prepared to engage in a little thought experiment: How would you design a new religion or reorganize an old one?"

See you next week.

Help me! It seems that a good religion is no religion, but I don't think that is what he is after..

LK

My opinion is also that it would be better if we didn't have to have a religion, but it seems that even if you stomp out every single religion and even go so far as to kill every religious person and then outlaw it completely, I am certain that new superstitious ideas and eventually religion will start growing again. The reason is that a majority of people are not mentally capable of accepting life without something "outside" or a life after death etc, so the ideas to support the delusions will come back. And I do think it is partly a result of our mind being able to fantasize, theorize and imagine things. It could be so bad that the only way to get rid of religion is to get rid of our ability to create art, entertainment, humor and much more. Basically I think it is part of the human nature. Some of lucky (or un-lucky) to get out of the delusion and see the world how it really is, but most are not.

When it comes to inventing a new religion, I think you should start with the key things that religion usually goes wrong and look at the things were it goes right. Make a religion where you keep the good things, but then you have to (in some clever way) safe-guard the system (including the structure for a secular government safe from influence) from ever go fundamentalistic in any way. This can be tricky, because you don't know what you don't know about what someone could make into a new extreme dogma and cause havoc. Just compare to how difficult it is for law makers to create a law without any loop holes.

Anyway, that's my five cents, and I'm jealous that you get to sit down and listen to Doc Price. That's not FAIR!!! :grin: