Goodbye Jesus

If You Haven't Seen This Yet

Vigile

:HappyCry: I'm so happy to read this thread and know I'm not the only classical music lover here!! Mozart is definitely my most favorite composer, I also like Bach,Chopin,Tchaikovsky and of course Beethoven.

I also like the new updated versions and twists of some of the old classical music by outstanding players such as Vanessa Mae, Bond and so forth. I'm a huge fan of music in general. :) Antlerman, I'd love to be your neighbor if you're blasting Opera. :wub: I find myself doing the same at times! LOL

Well, I'm not saying Mozart had some good pieces, it's just that it gives me the "shopping mall" feeling each time. I like music that challenges and dare you. For instance I like heavy metal and techno/trance/electronic. One musician that I listened to at the same time as classical was Jean Michelle Jarre. I consider that Electronic Classical. :) Nowadays I listen to a lot of modern trance, it's sometimes just as complex as classical.

Interesting indeed. :grin: I’m actually a big fan of early Windham Hill music which became called “New Age Music”. That particular early music of that genre has its roots in classical music training.

I’ll bet you’re a fan of Philip Glass and other minimalist music also? That’s what I like about the music of William Ackerman, Alex de Grassi, some George Winston (not all), etc. It was that style of music that inspired me to begin writing music myself. Perhaps my favorite musician from the genre is Andreas Vollenweider, though that’s more an eclectic world-music sound.

Jean Michelle Jarre? Yes, I have Oxygen and Rendezvous. I also like some of Vangelis too, apart from the overplayed Chariots of Fire soundtrack. I really like minimalism and early electronica.

Curiosity, do you like Jazz: Real Jazz ™? Not that that god-awful “smooth jazz” tripe. (It’s not jazz, and barely qualifies as music). I’m finding I really like the more dissonant jazz like Ornette Coleman. It reminds me of why I like art like Jackson Pollock.

They released the CD 1993, but the vinyl is much older so the sound quality is maybe not 100%, but the emotions and power in this performance is beyond words.

Bite your tongue! It will sound better than CD! :grin: They always do. You just have to get a good copy of it. I have Dvorak’s New Word Symphony by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic. I’ll keep an eye out for the one you mentioned.

This is one of a few that I do feel like "spiritual". Everytime I listen to it I'm going into a different mind set. I heard it once live with Pacific Symph Orch and it was awesome, brought me to teary eyes, but that was only close to how I feel when I listen to this CD.

Music is a very spiritual thing for me. I have a number of pieces that bring me to tears, and not the kind that I feel when being tortured with pop-country music. :wicked:

:HappyCry: I'm so happy to read this thread and know I'm not the only classical music lover here!! Mozart is definitely my most favorite composer, I also like Bach,Chopin,Tchaikovsky and of course Beethoven.

I also like the new updated versions and twists of some of the old classical music by outstanding players such as Vanessa Mae, Bond and so forth. I'm a huge fan of music in general. :) Antlerman, I'd love to be your neighbor if you're blasting Opera. :wub: I find myself doing the same at times! LOL

:clap: Another classical music fan! Chopin is great too.

Yes my neighbor loves to come over and listen to my albums. She was suffering from depression this last winter for several weeks, and she came over and I let he listen to some Mozart on my system, and she left smiling and feeling better than she had in weeks. Music is a powerful language of the spirit.

I’ll bet you’re a fan of Philip Glass and other minimalist music also? That’s what I like about the music of William Ackerman, Alex de Grassi, some George Winston (not all), etc. It was that style of music that inspired me to begin writing music myself. Perhaps my favorite musician from the genre is Andreas Vollenweider, though that’s more an eclectic world-music sound.

Glass, yes, I have listened some to his music. It's okay.

Andreas Vollenweider is very good, love it. And I have to look into my collection to find some of the other composers/musicians too, because there's a bunch of the good stuf there.

Jean Michelle Jarre? Yes, I have Oxygen and Rendezvous. I also like some of Vangelis too, apart from the overplayed Chariots of Fire soundtrack. I really like minimalism and early electronica.

Jarre, he got a whole slew of other compositions that are just as good as Oxy and Rendezvous. Amazing technician too. He made his own synthesizers and instruments.

Curiosity, do you like Jazz: Real Jazz ™? Not that that god-awful “smooth jazz” tripe. (It’s not jazz, and barely qualifies as music). I’m finding I really like the more dissonant jazz like Ornette Coleman. It reminds me of why I like art like Jackson Pollock.

Yes, I'm starting to like Jazz more and more too. Especially when I was playing flute some years ago, I loved playing it. I'm considering picking up saxophone or clarinet and have a go at it for my own entertainment.

Bite your tongue! It will sound better than CD! :grin: They always do. You just have to get a good copy of it. I have Dvorak’s New Word Symphony by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic. I’ll keep an eye out for the one you mentioned.

Of course the vinyl sounds better. But I think that production is out of print. I listened to the vinyl when I was a kid. That's how old it is.

I have Bernsteins production too, and it is not as good. Here you can see the difference between the conductors and orchestras. Bernstein is a perfectionist, where he wants the orch to play by the book, musically correct, but not as much soul to it. Get the CD I recommended and listen to the difference of interpretation. They're light years apart. Bernstein is good for other symphonies, so I'm not saying he's bad, he's just not as good with this composition.

And Chopin was brilliant.

There are a lot like him in Wales... I think it's something in the water...

Bach was the Einstein of music. We wouldn't have tempered tuning without him.

An interesting tidbit of information to share on this that I just found out today. That Bach did not come up with equal tempered tuning we use today. Though Equal Tempered tuning was around, it wasn’t used until around the early 20th century so that the piano could match any of the other orchestral instruments in any of the 24 major and minor keys. Prior to then, it wasn’t used because they thought it sounded bland.

Well-Tempered turning is what was used in Bach's day, which resulted in each of the 12 keys having a distinctly different characteristic or personality, this “equal tempered tuning” was not the evenly spaced tuning we use in today’s piano tuning. So when a piece of music back then was written in the key of F#, it would not just be the same sound as the key of D, it would have a whole different tuning to its intervals. The Well-Tempered Clavier were not pieces to demonstrate the equal tuning in the different keys, it was to demonstrate the different characteristics of the different keys.

It's a common misconception that crept into the academic institutions from its appearance in Groves’s dictionary in 1893, sort of like schools teaching that the Church in Columbus' day thought the earth was flat. Here's the full article online going into this http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html

History never stay put. It seems to change all the time. :) Thanks A-Man, that was new to me.

History never stay put. It seems to change all the time. :) Thanks A-Man, that was new to me.

Yes indeed. Just like we once thought Jesus actually stood before Pilate and the whole trial thing really happened. Things creep in all the time to create these new histories. No wonder fundi's hate liberal scholarship so much. They keep changing facts. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I like Kronos Quartet. :HaHa:

Currently the only Kronos Quartet I own is an LP titled Music of Bill Evans (I like Bill Evan's music). It's very good. I need to keep my eye out for more Kronos Quartet LP's as I know they have a very unique sound. I also have a couple LP's of the Penguin Cafe Orchestra, which I really enjoy also.

Wow... just wow. I was blown away by this guy! Like Simon said, this was a breath of fresh air to see someone with actually talent. Over here on American Idol it seems like some just wake up one day and decide they want to be a pop star so they go on this show and have their "dreams" crushed.

I'm glad to see people who like opera/classical music on this forum. I've gotten into these genres alot in the past four years.

Vigile, it's funny how you mentioned your friend who like Beethoven like metal. I have a friend like that too, he is as "metal" as they get and he blares it really loud all the time. But he also does with Beethoven and a lot of classical music and opera just as much. Then people are dumbfounded and he explains that Beethoven was the "founder of metal and rock" Beethoven was the world's first metal head! :lol:

I like Kronos Quartet.

Wow, I didn't know these guys worked on the Fountain! It's one of my favorite soundtracks and movies of all time.

Thanks for the link Vigile. I sure wouldn't have pegged that guy for that sort of thing but it was awesome.

Classical music is awesome.

On a side note, speaking of unconventional talents in the Idol and You've Got competitions, the show Idols which operates in Finland, a kid who was a Finnish karaoke champion won the 2007 Idols competition singing Metal and Hard Rock songs. Ari Koivunen is his name.

A few youtube videos here

I just like it alot when unconventional people win these competitions. Its quite nice.

Poor Antlerman. If only he had a nice stereo system to listen to his music... (LOL)

Poor Antlerman. If only he had a nice stereo system to listen to his music... (LOL)

Hey guy.. long time no see. :HaHa: Yeah, it's agonizingly painful listening to all of this through that vacuum tube amp I just added to system. All traces of anything digital have been irradiated now from the system, and it's become absolutely awful..... awful perfect! :wicked:

I'd ask you to bring some of your LP's over when you come over to hear it, but I think you smashed them all to pieces for Jesus a few years back, right? :lmao: Fortunately all my LP's I sacrificed at the Altar of Stupidity for Jesus, I have since found used and re-purchased. Praise Zeus for his everlasting guidance and mercy.

So how many LP's did you break for Jesus?

Simply astonishing, American Idol would actually be worth watching if there were such talents in it. I enjoy much of the music mentioned in this thread. I am listening to Pavarotti as I write this. In keeping with Han's story about Finlandia, is anyone familiar with Litany to Thunder (Pikse Litaania) by Veljo Tormis? I highly recommend it, a quick search on Amazon will yield a far better summary than I could give.

I thought Bonn Scott died of lead poisoning ;)