Goodbye Jesus

I Said Darn

R. S. Martin

Back to the OP. Just why would it be that the first time the word darn (other than for darning socks) rolls off one's tongue it is to tell Christians to get lost?

Not sure. Could be that the word has a meaning to a Christian. For me darn would be a equate to damn. Which in turn equates to go to hell.

I've found I curse more when talking about Christianity or religion in general than I do with other things in my life. I think I do so because it's the one thing in life that is contantly thrown in my face. I can't go anywhere or read anything without having something Chrisitan thrown in my face.

Thanks HadouKen24 for providing the explanation of what *deep south* means.

Looking at the criteria some sect have to get into heaven, "I'll see you in Hell" becomes a cheery farewell, along the lines of 'Auf wiedsehen' or 'Au revoir'....

Back to the OP. Just why would it be that the first time the word darn (other than for darning socks) rolls off one's tongue it is to tell Christians to get lost?

Not sure. Could be that the word has a meaning to a Christian. For me darn would be a equate to damn. Which in turn equates to go to hell.

I've found I curse more when talking about Christianity or religion in general than I do with other things in my life. I think I do so because it's the one thing in life that is contantly thrown in my face. I can't go anywhere or read anything without having something Chrisitan thrown in my face.

For me, darn is not really a swear word, I say it instead of damn to be less offensive. It's usually the real fundies who think of darn as a swear word that is just as offensive. But it could be a regional thing too. I guess it all depends on how you were raised.

I find I have to edit my conversations when talking about something that bothers me IRL when I'm around other people. Too many people take major offense at 4-letter words. But when I'm alone, I have no problem with it.

I am so glad to hear this. I've been on the impression that American schools don't teach about their kids about Canada, as though we weren't real people or something. When I was in grade 7 or 8 we had to fill out a blank map of the US, with all the state names, important rivers, and maybe capital cities. Canada has only thirteen provinces and territories. It seems American kids could learn that much.

I was educated in the Los Angeles Unified School District starting in 1965 and ending in 1978. I learned next to nothing about Canada. People here (next to the Mexican border) were (and still are) much more preoccupied with our neighbors to the south. I know a whole lot more about Cinco de Mayo than I do about Canada Day!

For me, darn is not really a swear word, I say it instead of damn to be less offensive. It's usually the real fundies who think of darn as a swear word that is just as offensive. But it could be a regional thing too. I guess it all depends on how you were raised.

I find I have to edit my conversations when talking about something that bothers me IRL when I'm around other people. Too many people take major offense at 4-letter words. But when I'm alone, I have no problem with it.

I did have a sabbatical of sorts from the LAUSD when I spent Jr. High (grades 7,8 & 9) in parochial school (Lutheran, Missouri Synod) We were taught that all of the substitute swear words (gosh, darn, jeez, gee-whiz, etc.) were every bit as bad as the "real" ones and we shouldn't use them, either.

So we didn't use them in school. :Wendywhatever:

My parents were both quite prolific with the swearing when I was growing up. It definitely was a "do as I say, not as I do" situation. The biggest influence on my swearing came from a neighbor who simply said that there are usually better ways to express oneself; this had a big impact on me for some reason.

I do use all the swear words offered by the English language, but very infrequently. Even after my upbringing and 8 years in the military! I'm not so much offended by others who swear a lot as I am bored by them, generally.

I am so glad to hear this. I've been on the impression that American schools don't teach about their kids about Canada, as though we weren't real people or something. When I was in grade 7 or 8 we had to fill out a blank map of the US, with all the state names, important rivers, and maybe capital cities. Canada has only thirteen provinces and territories. It seems American kids could learn that much.

I was educated in the Los Angeles Unified School District starting in 1965 and ending in 1978. I learned next to nothing about Canada. People here (next to the Mexican border) were (and still are) much more preoccupied with our neighbors to the south. I know a whole lot more about Cinco de Mayo than I do about Canada Day!

Good for your school! It's education is not confined to its own city limits--it acknowledges a world "Beyond our borders," to cite the title of a geography book used in my elementary school. Yes, during this conversation it did occur to me that Americans have a neighbour to the south as well as a neighbour to the north. In my years talking online with Americans I found out that Spanish is a much more familiar language, esp. in the southern states, than here.

That's strange. What do those people say when they want to talk about the love of God? I mean: L O V E=4 letters.

I know what you mean. They just mean a certain batch of words that happen to have four letters, but not all four-letter words in the English language. The word "four" is a four-letter word, too. Okay, I'm over-doing this. I'll move on.

twincats said:

I do use all the swear words offered by the English language, but very infrequently. Even after my upbringing and 8 years in the military! I'm not so much offended by others who swear a lot as I am bored by them, generally.

Perhaps because you've had your fill of them. They mean no more than a twenty-minute speech in which the speaker explains that he has nothing to say.

Anyway, I finally told the lady that if she is truly interested in me and in what is important to me she should look at my online websites and forums, pick a topic, then write about it to me, and see where it goes. I gave her the link in my sig. Haven't heard back.