Goodbye Jesus

Do You Ever Dream You're Back In Church?

Cliff Dweller

I really thought I was getting over things and moving on, but I've suddenly started to dream every night that I'm back in church, or that I'm with one or other of my old Christian friends. I wake up with a kind of cosy feeling, but then I realise it's all finished - and I feel sad.

What's it all about? Has anyone else experienced this?

Christianity can provide a good social network, if the religion provided that for you then maybe you're just missing that. Also, "knowing" that God exists provides a sort of security blanket. How long ago did you leave Christianity?

When I have religious dreams they end up being really strange or just complete nightmares, so I can't say that I ever wake up with a cozy feeling.

Like Kirangel suggests, I would guess it's grief over lost good times. I often dream of being home with my siblings when we were teenagers. Even in seriously dysfunctional situations there are certain things that hold nostalgia for us.

My religious dreams consists of stuff like "School of Athens" By Raphael, Greek, Roman myths, Ishtar myths, Saturnalia style dreams. My atheist and humanist dreams involves scenarios of Star Trek, Star Wars, Futurama, Foundation series by the great Isaac Asimov, Hitchhikers guides and my own town I made for my comic. No God or church there, I'm afraid. I'm totally Christian free in my dreams. :)

I've only had two what I would call religious dreams.

In one of them I fell through the iris of a giant eye which I took to be the eye of god. No clue what that was about.

The other one is connected to the "Left Behind" series I read several years ago. Kind of embarrassed to admit that now. The dream was that I met face to face with my interpretation of one of the "locusts" from Revelation 9. Nothing happened. It was there and then wasn't.

I do know what you mean about sadness. A day or two after I deconverted I had this sad feeling that god actually didn't exist. Kind of felt sorry for him, if you know what I mean. I don't have quite the separation issues since my wife is Christian and I've not told her my position yet. So I'm still in church almost every Sunday. Kind of hard to not laugh, or at least snort scornfully, at some of the things that are said there.