Goodbye Jesus

Secular Charities

disEnchanted

I'm really interested in getting involved with a charity that has no religious base. The area in which I live is so entrenched in religion that I've often given to and helped out with charity groups that are. I know that's its always a good thing to help others, regardless. But I'd love to be part of a group in which I know that my money or whatever isn't going to fund some christian missionary group.

Any ideas?

I did a search for "secular charities" and got a lot of hits. Here's one that might interest you; it's on Internet Infidels. You can also do your own search. One link might lead to another so that eventually you might find something in your own area.

It depends a lot on what your interests are. If you like animals, volunteer to help at a local animal shelter (I highly suggest a no kill shelter). If you like kids and have time during the day, schools would be a great place to volunteer. Food banks might be another source, the largest in our area is not related to any church. Special Olympics is another one. Our county has volunteer programs. The county has a nursing home that always needs volunteers. They also need volunteers to visit the elderly in their homes to check up on them, help them do things. They also have a volunteers working at the county parks that have nature centers giving tours.

Thank you for your help. I will do more research. What charities are you involved in if any?

Thank you for your help. I will do more research. What charities are you involved in if any?

This one. I know exC would not be classified as a charity but the service is free and it can help a person work through important issues in dealing with the poisons of religion. I think many of us contribute more than we need for our own well-being, so I guess it could be called a charity or volunteer service, or whatever.

I know one exChristian who works with Habitat for Humanity. I guess that may be church-based but it contributes to the well-being of humans and he feels comfortable supporting it. I understand he's out there operating saw and hammer. It's not like he's pouring his money into something that may fatten the local pastor.

I have not really thought this through. I don't believe that it is right to demand that people be religious in order to benefit from, or contribute to, a charity owned and operated by churches. I guess some churches do require their workers and recipients to be Christian, but not all do. In some areas, the churches are the only viable charities available. I think the government likes when churches do this because that frees up public finances for other things.

I volunteer at:

A no kill, non profit animal shelter - 1x/week

Blood bank by giving platelets - once a month to the blood bank..no work involved!!

River clean up - once a year.

First aid and site coordination for a non-profit soccer club - 1 weekend per year (that actually involves more than just a weekend as I have to have re-up certifications for first aid and cpr/aed along with the meetings leading up to the weekend)

Volunteer at my son's school - few times during the school year.

Collections for a nursing home - once a year