Goodbye Jesus

Street Preachers

Evolution_beyond

The other day I was on my way to work when I was stopped by an evangelical type of person. I say stopped, but actually I carried on walking throughout.

fundie: Do you believe in God?

Me: No

fundie: What do you believe in then?

Me: well, science I suppose (lame answer but I was on my way to work and not really in the mood for a philosophical debate)

fundie: What, like evolution?

Me: erm... yeah, I suppose

fundie: So when did evolution begin?

Me: when life itself originated

fundie: do you believe in an intelligent design behind that?

Me: no

fundie: so how could life come from nothing?

Me: it didn't. It developed gradually over time

fundie: and how could it develop gradually over time if it starts with nothing? (or something - I can't remember his exact words)

Me: it's complicated... (I was on the way to work, remember. And didn't really want to spend a long time explaining physics, chemistry and biology to him. He should read some books other than the Bible, I think)

Then he just handed me a leaflet and left me alone. I looked at the leaflet - "Revival". Ah, thought so - a fundie evangelical. I threw it in the bin.

I don't why I just shared that. But it strikes me as amusing somehow.

I saw a street preacher at the UT campus a few years back. She was explaining to her small audience how swallowing semen leads to stomach cancer. Kirk Cameron would have been proud.

On a related note, am I the only one who would like to build a lifesize model of the "crocoduck" and shove it up his holy keister?

Odd how they think that passing out pamphlets and asking "out of the blue" questions is supposed to be considered spreading the Good News across the land.

You should hang out with me and my mentor when we retaliate against preachers. We kick them into a corner, and in fear when they leave us.

Odd how they think that passing out pamphlets and asking "out of the blue" questions is supposed to be considered spreading the Good News across the land.

It's also odd that they think passing out pamplets to people will 'convert' them.

I've heard many Christian conversion (and de-conversion) stories in my life, but I have never heard of a single person converted through the efforts of a street preacher.

Oh, no one is ever converted by a single street preacher. I was told that in church. We're supposed to try anyway, because «Even if you don't save them, maybe after the tenth, fifteenth, or twentieth time, they'll see the light» or some such rubbish; whatever made us keep evangelizing.

Can anyone explain? Exactly what is a street preacher? Never saw one. I can't imagine what would happen if someone started preaching on a street corner in this part of the country. Probably people would ignore him or cross the street so as not to have to get up close. He would probably be suspected of being high on something other than the holy spirit. If he made too much of a nuisance of himself, might law enforcement pull up to remove him? I dunno.

One thing I do know--it certainly would not be freedom of religion having one religious group push their beliefs like that. We've got all the major religions of the world represented here. Which one should we give such special privileges? Can't have all of them preaching because that could make for congested traffic and serious problems in that line. Maybe the Shiekh in a turban?

Or the rabbi in the skull cap?

Or maybe the RC priest.

On the other hand, perhaps it would be more realistic to let the Anglicans or the Lutherans do it this time.

Or was there a Pagan high priestess who said it was her turn?

Maybe I'm just not in the right part of town...Anybody care to enlighten me on this?

Can anyone explain? Exactly what is a street preacher? Never saw one. I can't imagine what would happen if someone started preaching on a street corner in this part of the country. Probably people would ignore him or cross the street so as not to have to get up close. He would probably be suspected of being high on something other than the holy spirit. If he made too much of a nuisance of himself, might law enforcement pull up to remove him? I dunno.

We weren't told to stand around in the streets waiting to assault people with pamphlets. What I got from it was that I was supposed to approach random people at gas stations and malls who looked sinful.

One thing I do know--it certainly would not be freedom of religion having one religious group push their beliefs like that. We've got all the major religions of the world represented here. Which one should we give such special privileges? Can't have all of them preaching because that could make for congested traffic and serious problems in that line. Maybe the Shiekh in a turban?

Or the rabbi in the skull cap?

Or maybe the RC priest.

On the other hand, perhaps it would be more realistic to let the Anglicans or the Lutherans do it this time.

Or was there a Pagan high priestess who said it was her turn?

Maybe I'm just not in the right part of town...Anybody care to enlighten me on this?

Those people tend to not evangelize as much (or at all). I think that only Mormons and hardcore evangelical Christians do that.

I've never been approached by a Lutheran. :grin:

The other day I was on my way to work when I was stopped by an evangelical type of person. I say stopped, but actually I carried on walking throughout.

fundie: Do you believe in God?

Me: No

fundie: What do you believe in then?

Me: well, science I suppose (lame answer but I was on my way to work and not really in the mood for a philosophical debate)

fundie: What, like evolution?

Me: erm... yeah, I suppose

fundie: So when did evolution begin?

Me: when life itself originated

fundie: do you believe in an intelligent design behind that?

Me: no

fundie: so how could life come from nothing?

Me: it didn't. It developed gradually over time

fundie: and how could it develop gradually over time if it starts with nothing? (or something - I can't remember his exact words)

Me: it's complicated... (I was on the way to work, remember. And didn't really want to spend a long time explaining physics, chemistry and biology to him. He should read some books other than the Bible, I think)

Then he just handed me a leaflet and left me alone. I looked at the leaflet - "Revival". Ah, thought so - a fundie evangelical. I threw it in the bin.

I don't why I just shared that. But it strikes me as amusing somehow.

^_^ How about this way of dealing with it:

Same scenario:

Fundie: Do you believe in God?

Me: Yes I believe that the sons birth was announced by an angel, and witnessed by shepherds. He was amazing, he walked on water, cast out demons, and healed the sick. He was referred to as the good shepherd, the lamb of God, and the bread of life. He later died by crucifixion.

Fundie: I'm glad you know the truth as well.

Me: Oh great! I don't find too many other people who believe in Horus as well. (smile that good old fashioned cult smile turn and walk away)

==================================

Eh, just an idea. I'm not exactly sure if those are all true they're listed on the religioustolerance site along with many other supposed similarities but I haven't seriously looked into it yet. It's one of those things that's been on my to do list over the past year.

Or.. the additional point to ponder for the street preacher... and have you read the statement of Jesus - "I am sent to none but the lost sheep in the house of Israel". Why do YOU think Jesus excluded Gentiles?

This may be an incorrect assumption but I think lay people are now labeled as a "street preacher" due to their not having a scholarly degree from one of the noted Christian theological schools of thought.

^_^ How about this way of dealing with it:

Same scenario:

Fundie: Do you believe in God?

Me: Yes I believe that the sons birth was announced by an angel, and witnessed by shepherds. He was amazing, he walked on water, cast out demons, and healed the sick. He was referred to as the good shepherd, the lamb of God, and the bread of life. He later died by crucifixion.

Fundie: I'm glad you know the truth as well.

Me: Oh great! I don't find too many other people who believe in Horus as well. (smile that good old fashioned cult smile turn and walk away)

You're a meanie! :HaHa:

Seriously, I'd like to be around when you pull that one. I'd like to see the look on the fundy's face.

essence said:

This may be an incorrect assumption but I think lay people are now labeled as a "street preacher" due to their not having a scholarly degree from one of the noted Christian theological schools of thought.

So I could be a street preacher, too, if I wanted? I would preach the anti-Christian message.

Takeikin said:

We weren't told to stand around in the streets waiting to assault people with pamphlets. What I got from it was that I was supposed to approach random people at gas stations and malls who looked sinful.

People who look sinful??? So what does "sinful" look like? Men with ear-rings? The Pagan symbols? Women with nose-studs? People wearing a cross on a necklace? Someone with a bible in one hand and bread in the other approaching a batch of ragged rough and tumble kids? Where I come from sinful looked like women in pants with cut hair. My guess is that would include the ladies of the church where you were told to look for sinful people. I have yet to find a church that can actually define sin, let alone "looking sinful."

And that's why I never bothered trying.

How was I supposed to know who wasn't saved?

"Oh, hey, that guy looks like he's going to Hell. Let's save him." :huh:

I suppose I was meant to go looking for party-hearty people or...

Um.

I honestly have no clue.

My church leadership were idiots.

'Nuff said.

They never hassle me... they even fall silent as I walk by. Even Hari Krishnas ignore me or move... No idea why. Maybe they don't like Davidoff Blue Water for Men or JPG-Le Male....

They never hassle me... they even fall silent as I walk by. Even Hari Krishnas ignore me or move... No idea why. Maybe they don't like Davidoff Blue Water for Men or JPG-Le Male....

I guess you're not walking in the US. Aren't American religionists supposed to be a species unto themselves?

And that's why I never bothered trying.

How was I supposed to know who wasn't saved?

"Oh, hey, that guy looks like he's going to Hell. Let's save him." :huh:

I suppose I was meant to go looking for party-hearty people or...

Um.

I honestly have no clue.

My church leadership were idiots.

'Nuff said.

lol!

I seem to remember a story from long ago where an evangelical claimed to be able to tell from looking at a person if they have peace with God or whatever. Ever since I heard the story I have been trying to figure out whether or not it is even realistic. I conclude that it is not. But these people have too much to lose by admitting it so they imagine being able to see it.

I guess you're not walking in the US. Aren't American religionists supposed to be a species unto themselves?

I've seen Mormons hesitate at the bottom of my drive and then move on... My brother thinks they don't have enough faith that their god protects them from evil... ;)

But no, this is the Old World... most of our nutjob sects went to the new world when the local government stopped them tryingf to supress everyone around them :)

Yes RubySera, you can be a street preacher to. Free speech is still available. However, I don't recall ever having seen or heard anyone preaching freedom from religion. lol.. THAT might be a first. And its been quite awhile since I've actually seen anyone actually preaching in public. Nowadays I think their mode of operation is pamplets in business establishments or tradeshow type avenues. I picked up a JFJ flyer at a local boat show recently. It included the pertinent information and number to call should I want additional information.

The most popular form of street preaching in the U.S. today just might be seen in politics and as proseltyzing the public [in Jesus name]. Jesus the God seems to be on the political tickets for the upcoming elections. The Republican Right Wing showing a stronger determination to elect Jesus the God first and whoever afterwards. :)

The most popular form of street preaching in the U.S. today just might be seen in politics and as proseltyzing the public [in Jesus name]. Jesus the God seems to be on the political tickets for the upcoming elections. The Republican Right Wing showing a stronger determination to elect Jesus the God first and whoever afterwards. :)

Yeah, but the problem is that both sides claim that he's on their side. The Neocons are just a more outspoken than the Democrats.

or if you discharge a shot gun into a crowd, you're bound to hit someone with buck shot. :)

I was waiting for someone to mention hare krishnas. The funny thing is that on the way back from work on that very same day I nearly got stopped by a hare krishna guy that I'd spoken to once before.

Made me wonder what was going on. Why are they all interested in me today in particular? Well, it was a saturday I suppose - must've all been out in force.

I typically get so nasty when ANYONE tries to preach at me that most don't dare more than once. I've also been known to literally snarl at street preachers who try to stop me on the street. A crazed look and deep-sounding growl ususally work at making them back off.

I typically get so nasty when ANYONE tries to preach at me that most don't dare more than once. I've also been known to literally snarl at street preachers who try to stop me on the street. A crazed look and deep-sounding growl ususally work at making them back off.

Better not try that in Alabama. They'll tackle you and start dousing you with anointing oil while shouting "In the name of JAYSUS come AYOWT!!!"

:HaHa:

Speaking of Alabama, this is something I posted in a couple of forums in October of 2004...when I was still living in Fundyville...I mean...Montgomery, AL about an encounter with a street preacher:

The day has not started well for me. I woke up late and when I did get out of bed, I could barely hobble around. I have arthritis in my feet and ankles and some days they just bloody hurt for a few hours until they loosen up. Anyway, I managed to rush through showering and dressing and driving to work. I was walking the block..ok…limping the block from where I park to where I work when this nice looking, well-dressed man comes up to me and tries to hand me some kind of religious pamphlet. “No thank you,” I say politely, and keep on going. Normally that would stop it, but not this morning.

He proceeds to fall into step beside me. “I’d really like for you to take this pamphlet. You look like you need God in your life.”

Gritting my teeth, I manage to politely say, “I’m not interested.” My feet are really hurting at this point, and my limp is very pronounced.

“Do you know the good news of Jesus Christ?” he says.

Now my damned stutter kicks in. “I’ve ssssaaid…nnno thank you. Please llllleave me aaaalone.”

We get to a crosswalk and my building is just in sight…almost there. He’s still standing beside me, but as the light changes, he moves in front of me and blocks my path. “You really need God in your life. He can heal you. Let me show you how.”

Something inside me snapped and I felt my face get hot and my hands get cold. I very calmly, very quietly, very succinctly and without a single stutter said, "Get the fuck out of my way."

His jaw just dropped and he stood there stupidly, gaping at me.

In a voice that my friends describe as the drill sergeant, I loudly said. “MOVE!” He got out of my way so fast that he tripped and almost fell.

As I was walking into the building where I work, I hear him in a shaky voice call out. “Just remember, God loves you!”

A little background about me. I moved to Montgomery, AL about 6 months ago for a job. I previously lived in Michigan (4 years), Arizona (29 years) and Oklahoma (7 years). Since I've lived here, I have been approached on an almost daily basis by an evangelist. For the most part, a simple polite no thanks is enough. But there have been times, more times than I've described above where the evangelists persistance has bordered on rudeness. One guy in a parking lot actually blocked the door to my car and was screaming at me about how I was going to hell. (I went back in the store and got security for that one.) Day after day after day...I'm quickly losing my tolerance and the more this kind of thing happens, the more angry I get. With this last incident, I was EXTREMELY close to shoving this man out of my way and comitting other violent acts upon his body...I was that infuriated.

The saga didn't quite end there. A few days later, after shouting at me from across the street as I was walking to work, the fucker turned up at my apartment, standing by my car waiting for me. I eventually had to get an order of protection.

I am soooooo glad I no longer live in Alabama.

I've seen Mormons hesitate at the bottom of my drive and then move on... My brother thinks they don't have enough faith that their god protects them from evil... wink.gif

Hehe......have you ever gotten as far to inform them Satan is standing right behind, and it is infact Satan that drives them? I haven't seen a single JW missionary since me and my mentor gave them that line.

I think the next one will get a "But Jesus is the great deciever" counter. I mean, He did claim to be the Jews promised messiah. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to trust a Jew to know the Messiahic prophecies better than anyone. If they say Jesus is a fraud, I'll agree with them.