Goodbye Jesus

The On And Off Arguments With Parents

Everglaze

Okay, it was the middle of last year that I denounced Christianity and I made it clearly known to my parents during a discussion. The problem is, I don't think they respect my decision and the path that I've taken as an Atheist. They're of course Christians so I would assume everyone would think it's obvious that they wouldn't respect my decision, but it's been irritating. Whenever they try to justify everything using the Christian logic, and try to get my thoughts on the subject, I can only be honest with myself. They end up hating the response and my mom gets all offended, telling me that I'm a Christian. It's irrational, because I try to explain the fallacies and why Christianity is full of incoherent ramblings. All my dad can say is "you have to believe or else it's dangerous." When we argue, I can point out what's wrong with the Bible and he can't reply. I also told him that my grandpa and grandma (my dad's parents who weren't Christians) who passed away years ago lived normal lives and that's what I'm going to do. My mom on the other hand refuses to listen, then almost as if a cloud has swept over her head in a matter of weeks, she starts reading the Bible and asking me what certain things in the Bible mean (in a way where she's trying to pull me back into reading the Bible). I don't know what to do. I've explained all I've been able to explain and my mom always tells people that I'm a Christian when they ask about me. I'm not even the one provoking these arguments, I'm only defending myself when they (all the Christians that I know including my parents) confront me with their Christian methods.

What do I do? Just ignore the subject of Christianity? What if I meet some of the Christians in a public place and they start questioning my current 'state' in the faith? Why can't I just be an Atheist and live without all of this meddling?

What do I do? Just ignore the subject of Christianity? What if I meet some of the Christians in a public place and they start questioning my current 'state' in the faith?

What I do is avoid the subject myself, but respond if someone else brings it up. If my mother asked me what I thought about some passage in the bible, I'd tell her what I honestly thought about it. This is where it helps to have a fair amount of experience arguing with fundies - there are so many ways you can approach the subject, & each christian responds differently to the various approaches. Sometimes it's helpful to jump from one approach to another, like starting with the logical, then when they tire of that & jump the the bible defense, use the bible against them: point out conflicting areas, use the old testament to support some bizarre assertion that the christian would never believe, etc.

Point is, it is possible to make these people so sick of hearing your arguments that they eventually desire to avoid the subject even more than you do. That's been my experience, anyway.

Why can't I just be an Atheist and live without all of this meddling?

You know the answer to that. Christianity demands proselytizing, & fear gives the believers extra motivation. Most simply won't stop unless they fear what you will say to them more than they fear what's already in their head.

If you've made your position known, the only things you can do are to keep regurgitating your defenses and rebuttals, or simply tell people you don't want to talk religion. You are free to say you don't want to discuss a certain subject if you don't want to discuss it.

They are indeed trying to get you to return to the flock. Xians fear for everyone's souls, and they're worried about yours. Unless they cease to hold interest in the religion, which is unlikely, they will continue to worry that you'll be eternally tortured unless you come back.

You're kind of damned if you do and if you don't. You can either keep arguing the same old shit (bone up on good anti-xian rebuttals), or just tell them you don't want to hear it anymore. Hopefully, one of those paths will bring you peace.

Why can't I just be an Atheist and live without all of this meddling?

It sounds like you're living at home with your parents, and if that's the case, the answer is "because you're living with your Evangelical Christian parents."

It's just the environment that you're in. If you live with Christians, and their social circle is comprised of Christians, you're going to be surrounded by Christians. Christians who believe in the "great commission" proselytize. It's part of their belief system - it's what they do. They're going to meddle because that's who they are. If you're surrounded by Evangelical Christians, you're going to hear a lot of preaching. Until you're out on your own, it's just something that you're going to have to cope with.

The proselytizing is never likely to completely go away. In a few years, though, it may wane quite a bit.

Keep this in mind too - your de-conversion announcement is actually pretty recent. It hasn't even been a year. You haven't had time to really develop your non-Christian self and non-Christian life yet. Your parents haven't had time to see real change in you, and adjust to that yet. It takes time.

Keep this in mind too - your de-conversion announcement is actually pretty recent. It hasn't even been a year. You haven't had time to really develop your non-Christian self and non-Christian life yet. Your parents haven't had time to see real change in you, and adjust to that yet. It takes time.

Actually, I was an Atheist growing up in a Christian home before 2004. I was only a Christian for two years. The only reason why my parents didn't bother me as much as they do now was because of the fact that back then, I tagged along with them to church. That didn't mean I believed anything there or knew what Christianity was about. My parents just assumed I had faith and kept quiet. In 2004, I officially converted and started preaching and that's basically what got my parents all enthralled. Now that I'm back to being an Atheist, several months was enough to brush off the emotional remains of my once-attached faith. I'm able to cope with my non-Christian life, because while I was a Christian, that life never felt natural no matter what. I always felt heavily burdened with guilt-ridden thoughts on a constant basis. Prayer was like a stimulant that made me feel happy, even thought I wasn't inside.

I shouldn't have to change environments just to separate myself from religion, seeing how religion is everywhere and unavoidable. Although I did consider moving out at one point as being the solution, I think I want to just make myself clear to where I stand. If I say no, it means no and if the people I know (80% are Christians including my parents) disagree, then that's their problem. I will ignore the discussion of Christianity as some have said above. Thanks for the replies.