Goodbye Jesus

Satan In My Mirror!

Ahh!

This happens probably once every couple of months. I will listen to some sort of "evil" themed music with the lights out in my room while sort of dancing around to it. Suddenly, I'll start fantasizing about being some sort of mythological evil being, whether it be the Antichrist or the Devil, only I have taken human form as who I am now. Usually, I'll start getting into this role and start doing strange movements, such as making weird gestures or faces in the mirror. But then, the experience starts to get really intense and I start to feel like there really is a prescense of evil around me. Usually at some point, it begins to creep me out too much and I'll sit down. Then, in the dim light, I look into the mirror and I get this really creepy feeling that what's looking back at me is not me but a demon disguised as my reflection. I feel like it's ready to get me. I feel like something's after me just writing about it. Yet I also get a strong sense it can't (ie fake.) It's like an involuntary suspension of disbelief. WTF?

Some sort of self hypnosis, seems like. But I'm no expert. Jeff, what do you think?

Is this a dream or a waking delusion?

If a dream, it's merely your psyche processing the crap legacy your xian ordeal left you, is nothing to worry about, and can leave you with interesting and useful fodder to examine.

If a waking delusion, it sounds a lot creepier. I think I'd avoid the trigger (i.e., not dance to evil themed music in dimmed lighting) and try to get to the bottom of it. I'd be ill equipped to provide any insight in this case--there others who would be more knowledgeable.

Like Huai said, you're doing a mental suggestion to yourself.

out of curiosity, are you partaking of any mind altering substances when this happens?

Were you raised Pentecostal or some other form of Fundamentalist?

This really doesn't sound too different from what I observed in my parents' Pentecostal church. Music and fantasy can be pretty powerful things, and that kind of self-hypnosis isn't really unheard of. (Think of all the people who "fall out int he spirit", "speak in tongues", etc. They really believe it's real.) The difference is that in the church, there is no eventual recognition that the whole thing was imagined.

This may just be a byproduct of a psychological skill that you picked up in your religious upbringing.

Have you ever read the Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey? LaVeyan Satanic ritual has an element of this sort of self-hypnosis, even though LaVeyan Satanists don't believe in a Satan. LaVeyan Satanists are very much Atheists, but they enjoy the suspension of disbelief and treat it as a sort of "intellectual decompression."

I doubt that this kind of mind-trip is really harmful, unless you start hallucinating or begin to consistently believe it's real. As long as you are able to eventually come down off of it, you might actually decide to have some fun with it.

You are, in a way, self hypnotising yourself.

You are role playing yourself an evil being, with the dancing/movements to elevate your frame of thought, and the music being a reinforcing agent.

This is similiar to what you would see on a Bob Larson video. The constant screamign and shouting scares the psyche into believing there really is a demon, which drives the hypnosis, which creates the illusion of demonic possession.

I do strongly caution you, do not attempt doing that under any hallucinoginec drugs, especially LSD or Salvia Divinorum. Those two drugs especially can turn that situation into a living nightmare, and can leave you mentally shaken and terrified for a long time.

Probably because you got the paranoia left over from Christianity embedded in your brain about things summoning demons.

Yeah, I had a freaky dream about demonic monkeys last night...I think one of them even possessed me. Definitely my info-overloaded brain co-joining with my worry of how to break this to my family.

Interesting, it sounds sort of like a God form assumption to me. I'm curious to see what more people have to say.