Goodbye Jesus

Old Church Ladies Are Evil

Ahh!

There was this old lady who taught Sunday school who told us when I was 10 or 11, "Do you know where your friends who aren't Christians are going? HELL! Who has a friend who is not a Christian?"

I rose my hand (as did everyone else; it was the Los Angeles area, so everyone had a friend who was another religion.)

She pointed at me. "What is your friends name?"

"James," I said.

"What is he?"

"Jewish."

"Do you know where he's going?"

"Heck," I said, because I thought Hell was a swear word.

"There's no such place," She said. "he's going to Hell. You have to lead him on the right path!"

She kept ranting after that but I dont remember what she said. I think that was one of the more traumatizing religious conversations I had.

Old church ladies are evil. They're some of the most backward, racist, homophobic and outright cruel people around and everyone thinks they're good because they're with the church.

Walden:

Practically, the old have no very important advice to give the young, their own experience has been so partial, and their lives have been such miserable failures, for private reasons, as they must believe; and it may be that they have some faith left which belies that experience, and they are only less young than they were. I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors. They have told me nothing, and probably cannot tell me anything to the purpose. Here is life, an experiment to a great extent untried by me; but it does not avail me that they have tried it. If I have any experience which I think valuable, I am sure to reflect that this my Mentors (20) said nothing about.