Goodbye Jesus

Oc= Fundie

Ahh!

I was visiting Orange County a few weeks ago. I was raised there but I forgot just what a fundie hotbed it is. Lots of churches, lots of faith- I drove right by the Trinity Broadcasting studio and another day, Rick Warren's church, on my way to different places. Lots of fishes on the cars. I found a Chic Tract (is that what it's called- the really fundie tracts?) inside a book on Western-Islamic relations on how Muslims were pedophile at a local Borders.

That's not to mention how heavy conservative culture is there. Nixon's house, the Ayn Rand Society, and the John Birch Society are all based there.

I forgot all about it. Looking around, I began to remember why I'm a little messed up inside.

You were in OC? You should have told me, maybe we could have had a coffee.

My parents are missionaries and the headquarters of the mission agency used to be in Huntington Beach, within walking distance of the water. That's Orange County, right? They recently moved to Orlando Florida, because things got too expensive in Huntington Beach and they could sell the property for millions.

What else is in Orange County?

-- Crystal Cathedral.

-- origin of the "Jesus People" movement.

-- Headquarters of "Calvary Chapel."

-- Laguna Beach was founded by Mormons (actually, by one of my ancestors)

When I saw "oc" in the thread title, I thought you meant "obsessive compulsive"; people with this trait are often drawn to and worsened by fundamentalism. Is Orange County kind of an obsessive compulsive place?

Isn't there a John Wayne Museum there?

I think he lived there, so probably.

My parents are missionaries and the headquarters of the mission agency used to be in Huntington Beach, within walking distance of the water. That's Orange County, right? They recently moved to Orlando Florida, because things got too expensive in Huntington Beach and they could sell the property for millions.

What else is in Orange County?

-- Crystal Cathedral.

-- origin of the "Jesus People" movement.

-- Headquarters of "Calvary Chapel."

-- Laguna Beach was founded by Mormons (actually, by one of my ancestors)

Huntington Beach is in Orange County.

I forgot about the Crystal Cathedral! We used to drive by it for years. What exactly is it? My mother told me once that it was "a different kind of church than ours" but that's all I know.

I've been to Crystal Cathedral, and even met Doc Schuler, S:r and J:r. Been to the Easter show once. We knew one of the actors. etc... Even worked for a couple of years at a company just up the street from it. It's a very liberal kind of theology. More poetry and artistry, kind of "spiritual" or open minded kind. Hard to place in a way, but it is a bit different than most churches. I do have some issues with it, but in general its harmless.

We used to belong to Calvary Chapel too, and met Chuck twice. A friend of ours got married there, and her dad is gone, so she asked me to bring her up the isle. I was very honored. They're quite a bit more extreme in their preaching.

We went to Saddleback too a few times when it started, which I think is growing much faster than Calvary Chapel, but that was really the fast food style of Christianity. We know some people there too.

Orange County got a extreme mix of different kinds of religions and non-religious people. It's a potpourri of ideas.

There should be... but I never heard of it. We do have a John Wayne airport thou...

I've been to Crystal Cathedral, and even met Doc Schuler, S:r and J:r. Been to the Easter show once. We knew one of the actors. etc... Even worked for a couple of years at a company just up the street from it. It's a very liberal kind of theology. More poetry and artistry, kind of "spiritual" or open minded kind. Hard to place in a way, but it is a bit different than most churches. I do have some issues with it, but in general its harmless.

We used to belong to Calvary Chapel too, and met Chuck twice. A friend of ours got married there, and her dad is gone, so she asked me to bring her up the isle. I was very honored. They're quite a bit more extreme in their preaching.

We went to Saddleback too a few times when it started, which I think is growing much faster than Calvary Chapel, but that was really the fast food style of Christianity. We know some people there too.

Orange County got a extreme mix of different kinds of religions and non-religious people. It's a potpourri of ideas.

Have you ever heard of Mount of Olives Lutheran Church? That's where I went most of my life.

I just got back from watching a surfing competition at Hunington Beach an hour or so ago. I was laughing my ass off as at almost every street corner was either a preacher man or some stoner with a sign saying "Honk if You Want Marijuana Legalized." I told my guy friend " O.k. so we have a choice between Jesus and Mary Jane. Sorry I don't need to get addicted to either!". One cute little boy with shaggy blond hair gave me some free dvd's of xtian surfing and skateboarding. I might give these to a xtian coworker of mine as I know he's always sneaking online at work to watch his skateboard videos.

For a while as a kid I used to go to Melodyland and the Vineyard churches in Anaheim. As a teenager some dickhead at Melodyland actually told me that Gawd hated me and I should have been aborted, as I was a "devil spawn", as I was crying to the youth group of how my sperm donor abused me as an eight year old. His theory was that I "brought" the abuse on myself as I was being punished for the sin of "seducing" the fucking spermdonor. This inicident got me started into questioning xtianity, but as I was a nieve fifteen year old my family told me how that asshole was " possesed by a demon trying to get me away from Jeebus" and I shouldn't have been hanging out with that youth group. This guy even told my grandmother that I should be put in an "institution" ( as he called xtian bootcamps for wayward kids) for tough love. After that my grandmother and I never set foot into that church, though an aunt of mine still attended as she thought I probably "misinterpreted" what the asshole said. :vent:

Yep, I'd class the Schulers as somewhere between 'Mostly Harmelss' and 'Really Quite Nice'...

I've yet to classify Rick Warren...

Doc Schuler(s) are both very nice, but S:r smiles way too much for my taste. He always have a big smile, but I don't feel it's completely real.

At the risk of being nasty, I think he has problems closing his mouth over the dental work...

but he does seem a happy Jasper and no mistake...

At the risk of being nasty, I think he has problems closing his mouth over the dental work...

Or it could be after they stretched the skin up to his ears and took it a bit too far... face lifts got some odd effects ya'know.

but he does seem a happy Jasper and no mistake...

Happy like a car salesman.

Btw, I have to look. I should have some pictures from Crystal Meth-edral somwhere.

Thankfully I was born and raised in LA County. Too much drugs, money and hookers there for anyone to worry about Jebus. I guess the tradeoff though is LA seems to have a high percentage of psychopaths and serial killers. Home Sweet Home :)