Goodbye Jesus

Literally Forced By Goodness To Reject The Bible.

mick

Literally FORCED by GOODNESS to reject the Bible.

There are countless reasons why I CAN'T believe the Bible anymore, but the MOST serious ones to me are moral. (There are many that have nothing to do with morality; like science, history, logic, contradictions, on and on) However, morality is the biggest for me.

Here is the simplest way for to describe it: (with the smallest possible list of examples)

-I am morally opposed to slaughtering innocent, defensless babies. I am morally opposed to slavery. I am morally opposed to shunning handicapped people and considering them cursed from the Lord and unclean. I am morally opposed to banishing handicapped people from the sanctuary. (the blind, the lame, dwarfs, etc, none where allowed into the santuary because they would profane Gos' sanctuary) I am morally opposed to the abuse and mistreatment of women. (This is absolutely undeniable. It absolutely astonishes me now that anyone woman who knows the Bible could be a Christian.) I am morally opposed to stoning children to death, stoning people who work on the sabbath to death, stoning an adulterous female to death, and burning anyone to death, for any crime, though the Bible crimes are foolish and minor. I am morally opposed to stoning women to death on their wedding night if she can't prove to her new husband that she is a virgin. I am morally opposed to forcing a women to marry her rapist. These are all Yahweh's instructions, laws, and crimes. It is silly to even bother any attempted defenses of undefendable immoral laws and acts.

The God of the Bible is FOR all these things and commits all these things and many many more. According to the Bible he gave them these laws. God tells them how to buy their slaves, who to buy them from, and tells them that these slaves are their property. (There is no way to "interpret the Bible away" or make it go away, no matter how hard one tries to do so. Secretly every Christian would wish the Mosaic law away if they could. It is an embarrassment to them and it is not defendable. )

Here is an interesting point for you; Every single last Christian that I have talked to; has said that SOMEONE ELSE is the apologist. Noone can defend any of it, and noone is willing to try. The only friend of mine who actually tried, has rejected the Bible as well as a direct result of facing it all. He had no intention to do so; but it was unavoidable for him. It is undefendable, and you are instructed in 1st Peter to ALWAYS be ready to defend the faith!)

The reasons I am not a Christian ARE moral. It is infact MORALITY that quite literally forces one to reject the Bible. I am quite literally FORCED by goodness to reject the Bible.

The reason I say all this, and I know I'm taking a huge chance by doing it is because of your comment above:

>>A little strong on the anti-God / religion message

though and I think this distracted me from getting into the story (and

into some of the humor).

The Bible is infinately more "Anti-God" than anything in my book. The writers of the Bible literally slander the concept of a god, if one were to exist. If their god exists, and the pages of the Bible are God's word (they can't be God's word, because it contradicts itself in so many ways) then God would simply be not be a good being, at all.

It is actually an act of courage to reject the Bible as I have. I am taking a very difficult stand, not against, but for truth. It is as clear as the sun at noon time in July that the God described in the Old Testamet is an evil being. (And because of the repugnant doctrine of Hell, also the NT) I think with clear study and open mind it also clear that he does not exist. Many Christians already kind of operate with a sub-conscious denial of the genecides, infanticide, murderous descriptions of God in the OT, and even the reality of Hell. I knew way too much about history, the Bible, the theology of Christianity, the development of the religion, etc, to be able to pretend like Christianity can be true and also reject all the acts of Yahweh or Hell. Christianity falls when the OT falls. Then, after the fact, when your mind is open, the information is already here with us that rules out any of it's validity. All a believer is left with if they do the honest research is a stubborn positon of "faith no matter what". There are far more Ex-Christian former apologists, than there are good current apologists. Most of the apologists become former Christians.

Idid not write the Bible. It's not my fault what is in it's pages. I look at Bible belief as like being caught in a bizarre dream that you have to struggle real hard to awaken from. But when you eventually become awake, it is all so clear that you were asleep.

I totally agree. If the Christian God exists as the Bible presents him, then he does immoral things (e.g. retaliates against non-believers), and has a vicious mentality. This kind of critique measures Yahweh against an Idea of Goodness which stands above Yahweh and apart from him. In other words, it measures Yahweh against another God, the "Idea of Good." This second, more primary God is the God that Platonism recognizes.

It was the Problem of Evil that got me first challenging my faith, and opened my eyes to the lie of a loving Xian god.

That god isn't loving. He's an evil psychopathic tyrant. I can't follow him either.

Aye, babblegawd - once you take your blinders off, or have them ripped off by someone else, hard as that tends to be - is immorality incarnate. Cut these words in stone for eternity. :vent:

I am morally opposed to the abuse and mistreatment of women. (This is absolutely undeniable. It absolutely astonishes me now that anyone woman who knows the Bible could be a Christian.)

Sorry if I've said this before on these forums but most of the most enthusiastic Christians I know are women. How women can advocate a belief system that says women should be treated like shit is quite beyond me.

It's a brainwash. Anything that is by god is somehow justified as being righteous in the Christian eyes and that's proof that they have been stripped of their humanity. They have the nerve to tell us about what value/moral is, yet their sense of value/moral is distorted and perverted at best.

I am morally opposed to the abuse and mistreatment of women. (This is absolutely undeniable. It absolutely astonishes me now that anyone woman who knows the Bible could be a Christian.)

Sorry if I've said this before on these forums but most of the most enthusiastic Christians I know are women. How women can advocate a belief system that says women should be treated like shit is quite beyond me.

I don't know if I can say this so it makes sense to anybody. I got my religious training from my mother. When I first started reading the Bible (KJV) I was bothered by all these references to men and man. It seemed like we women didn't even count. I talked to my mother about this and she explained that man/men simply stands for human. I think some of the newer translations such as New Revised Standard Version now use the plural to get around the gender-specific language.

My mother also taught me that there were things that were indecent for us as women to do. I had problems with some of those ideas. She taught me those things not as rules in the Bible but as real-life truths. This allowed me to dissociate these things from the bible and attach them to our culture. I had a real problem with some of the really blatant discrimination against women, such as Saul promising his daughter to David if he defeated the Philistines or whatever the agreement was. That seemed to absolutely WRONG.

However, my mother taught me to dissociate from the OT because we live by the NT. My problem with the NT is that it puts such enormous responsibility on men it's unbelievable. No human can possibly live up to all of that. The man is supposed to be the head of the home, and as such he is responsible for the behaviour of his wife, and his children. If he is also a church leader, he is also responsible for the behaviour of his congregation--men, women, and children. Most people have enough just to figure out how to live their own lives. There is no way they can also take responsibilty for their entire family, not to mention their entire congregation.

So how about this: The bible is bullshit. Period.

One more point and women and the Bible. These days there is feminist theology. Women have reinterpreted some of the passages. I have never looked a feminist theology so I can't comment on it.

Maybe it's that same reason that is at work too with women who stay with macho bastards who treat them like shit in real life... :shrug:

For me personally, the anti-female parts were the least of my concerns as a believer. By my teens I saw god as a complete monster, for the most part. Unfortunately that didn't give me the ability to disbelieve any of it - at that time I'd never even met anyone who didn't believe in the christian bible, so it never occured to me that there was actually a possibility that christianity wasn't true. Christianty was part of my world just like the earth & sky. I seem to be an oddity among even most ex-tians in that regard, in that I was a strong believer, but never particularly liked what I believed in. I had problems with it since I was 5 years old. But instead of leading me to question whether christianity and/or the bible were true or not, I ended up becoming convinced that I was doomed to burn in hell. Talk about something I would rather NOT have believed...