Goodbye Jesus

Atheist vs. Christian morality

webmdave

• Admin

By Eris D

I have been lurking on this site for a long time. Sometimes I comment on the occasional testimonial.

I just want to say that I am constantly amazed at the warped views that the majority of people in America have about atheists. First, many think that we have no morals because we do not believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God and/or we don't believe in a god. Consequently, they think they make negative assumptions about our integrity and honesty in many ways.

Unfortunately, I live in a part of the country where the majority of the people strongly believe in a mythical god and my husband and I hear those code words ''Have a BLESSED Day" almost every day. We know that we must conceal our atheism in order to keep ourselves and our kids safe against retribution from those who will do ANYTHING in the name of their mythical god(s), like defacing our property, harrassing our kids or getting us fired from our jobs.

Last year I pulled up to the drive-thru of my local credit union to check my balance. I had just paid a huge bill, and my funds were running low and I was worried about paying the bills on time that month.

When I drove up to the Pneumatic tube station, I pulled out the tube in order to put in my identification so the teller could give me my balance. Guess what I found in the tube? A roll of $20 bills that totaled over $800.00. I didn't even give it a second thought and immediately closed up the tube and sent the money back to the teller. When she received it she asked me what I wanted to do with it and I told her that it wasn't mine. She was shocked that I had returned it and promptly did a little detective work to find the rightful owner. She said the owner had driven up earlier with a van full of kids and she was busy talking on a cell phone and not paying attention. Then she thanked me for my honesty and took care of our transaction.

A couple of days later I relayed the story to some of my family members who are Christians. They expressed utter shock and amazement at my actions! They asked me why I didn't just pocket the money and leave!!!! I am NOT kidding! Some said they would have had a hard time deciding what to do.

That is when I proudly stood up and proclaimed that I am an atheist therefore I take responsibility for my own actions, and I don't look for some mythical god to forgive my sins, and I don't blame them my shortcomings on some mythical devil! I don't have a problem with being honest. I am an atheist!

That shut em up!

FYI -- In my life, I have been ripped-off, raped, assaulted and battered by so-called Christians. I have never been victimized or scammed by an Atheist.

Consequently, when someone is doing some kind of work for me or selling me something, if they start proclaiming their faith, I usually either disassociate with them or watch them very closely. I know they are not all bad, but I have observed that the louder a person proclaims their faith and belief in god, the more problems they have with honesty.

To monitor comments posted to this topic, use comment-ful.gif.

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/07...n-morality.html

Go to any country and most of the prison population belong to one religion or other. Atheists usually are less than 1%. I have to admit to finding christians to be a shifty lot over the years.

Not on your scale but I have returned money before now, handed in a credit card I found, etc. I don't give a second thought to helping people if I can with no expectation of reward now or in an afterlife.

I think it has a lot to do with the individual and society he or she comes from; I know plenty of Xians who would have given the money back as well.

But it does highlight an important fact - acceptance of Xianity does not automatically transform a person into an ethically upstanding individual. Despite Xian claims that their god and religion is the sole source of morality and all others can only offer wicked and harmful behaviors to imitate, the plain facts are that Xians are no more morally worse or better than anyone else. As much as it galls them to think, they're not unique just because they're Jesus freaks.

And I've seen many Atheists speak on morality far more concisely than most Xian sects ever have. A few minutes reading through some secular Humanist essays on the issue is enough to clear that matter up. If anything, Atheists surpass Xians in the morality department, and at the worst still give them a run for their money - and are hardly unable to discern good from bad without Xianity.

ErisD penned:

FYI -- In my life, I have been ripped-off, raped, assaulted and battered by so-called Christians. I have never been victimized or scammed by an Atheist.

Consequently, when someone is doing some kind of work for me or selling me something, if they start proclaiming their faith, I usually either disassociate with them or watch them very closely. I know they are not all bad, but I have observed that the louder a person proclaims their faith and belief in god, the more problems they have with honesty.

No shit. I see a fish or hear jebus/god/blessed/etc, that is often xtian codespreche for "You are SOoooOOooOOo gonna get FUCKED, while I am gonna get soooOOo FORGIVEN!"

Will no longer willing do business with those proclaining evangelical or fundamentalist/any sect views publicly. Let their works proclaim their internal god_given_goodness. All other bumpersticker_xtains can move_the_fuck_along...

kFL

This is the one concept I have the hardest time with. You would have to do away with the "What goes around comes around" thought process because there's no one to mete out the punishment. I do understand that there are certain people whose depravity is not affected by any thought of future repercussions (as in child molesters, etc..) but I find it very unsatisfying to think that people who have iniquitous behavior don't get their due rewards. In the case of the person at the bank in the original post - what would have happened if he took the money? And according to his Christian family members this was a viable option they could live with hence it might not be a religious concept.

The twisted thinking of fundies is quite amazing isn't it? Like the only reason to be kind or moral is fear of retribution from the big G.

They'll ask atheists - "well, if you don't believe in God, then what's to stop you from killing or raping or stealing? Just do whatever you want to". My response to that is - if the only thing stopping you from being a complete degenerate asshole is belief in God, then please continue believing.

Albert Einstein has a nice quote along these lines: If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

Can't even imagine living in a place where "Have a Blessed Day" would be deemed an appropriate reply to anyone. Even people in my church are not that over the top, when we are IN CHURCH!!

Go to any country and most of the prison population belong to one religion or other. Atheists usually are less than 1%. I have to admit to finding christians to be a shifty lot over the years.

Are Christians a shifty lot, or do the shifty lot find Christianity useful in appearing remorseful or as a scapegoat (Satan made me do it)? Hmm...

Can't even imagine living in a place where "Have a Blessed Day" would be deemed an appropriate reply to anyone. Even people in my church are not that over the top, when we are IN CHURCH!!

That statement is used so much here that people have it on their email signatures at work (government employer).

You'd think that with such a large Christian base of employees the majority would have ethics, morality and treat people with kindness, dignity and respect....doesn't happen there in fact the opposite is true. But it could just be me, I've not learned to compartmentalize me, in otherwords what you get at work is what you get at home. I can't lie, cheat, steal or be ruthless anytime or any place, it's just not in my nature and frankly I don't want too especially since I don't care for people who do.

If someone touts themselves as a Christian service provider be it handy man, trashman, electrician, whatever, I've learned to steer clear of them, otherwise you just might lose the shirt off your back. They will take advantage of you in a heart beat at least that has been the experience I have had and have seen.