Goodbye Jesus

End Times

GraphicsGuy

Years ago, even as a fundy, I was bound and determined to disprove all the "typical" interpretations of Revelation and the rapture. It just seemed so far-fetched that it actually made me mad to hear sermons on it. Good god...when the Left Behind series came out I wanted to just throw up. Even on my manic religious highs I still didn't believe it for the most part. I don't know why...it's just the one part of Christianity I could never, never swallow.

The whole idea is irritating and completely out to lunch. Especially the pre-tribbers saying that "God wouldn't allow his church to suffer"...what the???!!!

How fucking arrogant has the North American Christian mindset gotten? "God" has been allowing his "church" to suffer for the last two millenia and in most other countries around the world self-proclaimed believers are being killed by the truckload. Personally, it's pretty easy to die for a purpose...especially when you believe you're going to wake up in glory.

I was on the board "Rapture Ready" last week...maybe it was two weeks ago...I got so mad at those morons. Originally, I was only on there to bring up what happened to me and inform people about the dangers of low testosterone (I said nothing about not believing). After a couple of mildly snide comments to some pre-tribbers and telling one guy off for saying "doctors aren't necessary" I was permanently banned and a few of my comments were deleted. Oh, yeah...they didn't seem to like it when I talked about masturbating either...

Anyway, I just find it incredibly irritating that many Christians find life on earth so terrible and the world is so "evil" to them that they are just begging to be raptured. Get your head out of your ass, you could be living in the dark ages and really have something to complain about. Most of the world is much better today than it was 2,000 years ago.

I was going to post this in the Lion's Den because I really, really want to pick a fight with some fundy over it, but it ended up just being a rant...

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
Anyway, I just find it incredibly irritating that many Christians find life on earth so terrible and the world is so "evil" to them that they are just begging to be raptured.

I never understood that one either. The world view of fundamentalist Christianity is so dismal. How depressing must it be to live life only as a means to an end? (No pun intended.)

When fundamentalist Christians talk about how evil this world is - what do they talk about? They talk about mandatory prayer being removed from schools, gay rights, and the continued existence (and even growth) of non-Christian belief. This world is "evil" to them because people like you and I are in it. When we demand equal rights - or even basics like not being forced to say Christian prayers in schools - they see this as persecution.

Maybe it's the "king's kids" mentality - they really believe that they should be able to rule the world. Maybe it serves a purpose of keeping fundies isolated from other people so that they can't be exposed to the world outside the church. Maybe imagining all of us as evil is how they make the idea of eternal Hell seem just - who knows.

But to view this world as so horrible - and to live life only as a path to death - that is Hell on Earth.

Graphicsguy,

It's sure worth a rant when you've come to the realization that the "rapture" you had hoped for as a xian isn't real, and never was.

As you grow and mature in your lack of faith in the xian meme, here's one thing you'll come to know: The world and life isn't about "good" and "evil". Depending on how you define them, they coexist, as they always have. Life is simply what it is. Your task is to go through your course of it, doing all the good you can, and shunning to do evil. But you are the one who has to define the terms. That is what atheism is about. No gods, no doctrines. You, defining life and living it for the good as you see it. That is grand, IMO. All else is of minor consideration.

Life is a marvelous journey. Do it well, with best wishes.

Yeah I read a few gems from the folks at Rapture Ready over at Fundies Say the Dardest Things. I believe the latest one was from someone who believed that environmental conservation efforts aren't necessary because we are living in the end times and the rapture will occur soon. I'm pretty sick of all the rapture gibberish myself as this way of thinking seems to be so focused on the afterlife that people refuse to life their lives to the fullest and use their gifts to improve their lives and the life of others. I can just imagine these people still sitting around at 80 years old waiting for the rapture and then dying of a heart attack or something without really having made anything of their lives.

Some slight corrections...

Maybe it's the "king's kids" mentality - they really believe that they should be able to rule the world.

They believe that they are able to, and the only "should" is in "we should rule it, right now! Glory to the monster!!!11!!!

Maybe it serves a purpose of keeping fundies isolated from other people so that they can't be exposed to the world outside the church.

Isn't pretty much everything in morontheism aimed at either destroying dissent or sheltering the belief houses-of-cards from reality? gawdtube, conservapedia...

Morontheist --> :crazy::banghead:

This world is "evil" to them because people like you and I are in it. When we demand equal rights - or even basics like not being forced to say Christian prayers in schools - they see this as persecution.

But to view this world as so horrible - and to live life only as a path to death - that is Hell on Earth.

Very good points. I often ask rapture fanatics why they think the world is so "bad" now. I then point out how corrupt the Roman Empire was and that we have it really good in our day. When they start having orgies in the White House then I'll start worrying...lol

It's sure worth a rant when you've come to the realization that the "rapture" you had hoped for as a xian isn't real, and never was.

I quite agree. It frustrated me when I was a xian and now it just upsets me even more.

Isn't pretty much everything in morontheism aimed at either destroying dissent or sheltering the belief houses-of-cards from reality? gawdtube, conservapedia...

Well, of course! Can't expose our children to the world and actually let them make decisions on their own, can we? Like, OMG, they might actually read Harry Potter and become witches. I'm getting rid of all the twigs in the yard so my kids can't make any magic wands from them! *throws up from worry*

Although, obvously, it would not solve all of the Bible's problems, if Christians had not added that awful book of Revelations at the end of it, the world would be a slightly better place.

I think that book does give people a reason not to create a better world, because Jesus won't vacation here with his Army if we keep the place all nice and tidy. It really has to fall apart before he is supposed to start giving a shit again.

So backwards. Should it not be them wanting to make this place Heavenly, so to emulate the divine, and become his children through their actions.....oh wait, they do act like him, and the rest of us have to deal with their arrogant, petty ways.

Although, obvously, it would not solve all of the Bible's problems, if Christians had not added that awful book of Revelations at the end of it, the world would be a slightly better place.

Wasn't Martin Luther advocating its removal? He knew it was going to cause problems. We need more revolutionaries like him. In today's modern age, I'm pretty sure Luther would have been an atheist.

Religion does seem to attract a lot of very strange people. In islam it is the nerds who have never had a woman and think they'll get 72 women gagging for sex with them if they only kill a few infidels. In christianity it is insignificant people who feel superior as christians and rejoice in the idea of going to heaven while all the people they hate go to hell and are tortured forever. And there are all the little hate filled busy bodies, the back bones of the church who try to tell everyone else how to live.

What can you say about Filipinos who nail themselves to crosses, muslim boys who beat their skin till blood pours out while proud parents look on, parents who kill muslim women because they won't enter a forced marriage? Also the people who join the church as priests so they can molest little boys while spouting hypocrisy and circumcism/mutilation of babies?

Ouch! :twitch: The reality of your statements, kaneda, is a painful thing indeed. I really hope organized religion will go the way of dodo over the next couple of centuries...as long as nothing destroys industrialism...

Then again, that could be nothing more than wishful thinking.

Wasn't Martin Luther advocating its removal? He knew it was going to cause problems. We need more revolutionaries like him. In today's modern age, I'm pretty sure Luther would have been an atheist.

Don't overrate Luther's intelligence. He thought shooting stars were controlled by Satan and he wrote a book about why the Jews should be "eliminated" (On The Jews And Their Lies.)

Not to mention, Luther was anti-women being anything more than subserviant housewives.

(Grew up Lutheran)

Don't overrate Luther's intelligence. He thought shooting stars were controlled by Satan and he wrote a book about why the Jews should be "eliminated" (On The Jews And Their Lies.)

Not to mention, Luther was anti-women being anything more than subserviant housewives.

Well, there you go. Another thing you don't learn in church. It's only the stuff they want you to hear.

I got more damn unlearning and research to do than I can handle right now.

I must admit that I was more relieved than pissed off by the whole rapture thing - and figuring out that it wasn't real.

I was so scared as a kid that if a car horn behind me was too loud, I'd begin to cry thinking I wasn't holy enough to be "taken up". I would pray every night not to be left behind, because I was so scared of not seeing my family (although they're not Christians either). Then again, it didn't help that at Sunday school I had been told that if I was left behind, even if I was a kid I would be beheaded and wouldn't be able to die - and would have to walk around with my head in my hands (literally) in agonizing pain.

Grrrr... now I am getting mad! Can I destroy those assholes?!?!?

Then again, it didn't help that at Sunday school I had been told that if I was left behind, even if I was a kid I would be beheaded and wouldn't be able to die - and would have to walk around with my head in my hands (literally) in agonizing pain.

What?????? That's the first I heard of that one...damn, some theology is so frickin' messed up.

Grrrr... now I am getting mad! Can I destroy those assholes?!?!?

I'll hold 'em, you start punching!

I fuckin' hate the End Times that Christians love preaching about. Not only is it annoying, but the fact that they try to take some ambiguous biblical content to reject the natural process of life pisses me off. Just because we can think and act in a way that seems more 'advanced' than other species doesn't mean that we have a plan to live according to a douchebag god in the sky who favours us as his tyrannical slaves. We live and we die. I honestly wish there were aliens, so that Christians would stop being such self-righteous, persuasive and irrational tools.

At this point I actually wouldn't mind if there was a rapture; at least it would get all of these end times douchebags off of the planet.

Those enticing bastards would be better off floating away to their 'paradise' worshiping a manipulative god for the rest of their lives. I'd flip them the bird for all the years they've tried to obnoxiously persuade me with their rhetorical attitudes. Mega rant. Of course, it's doubtful that they'd get their wish.

Of course, it's doubtful that they'd get their wish.

Extremely highly doubtful. They piss and whine that life on earth is "so bad". They say our politicians are so incredibly corrupt (and maybe some of them are, but at least they aren't raging lunatics like Nero was). They just want do be "rescued" because they're so damn afraid of actually living a real life and admitting that maybe this is all there is.

And that's just the rapture believers. Don't even get me started on the ones who believe that hell is at the center of the earth and that we are destined to live forever on THIS earth. Idiots! The possibility goes against basic biology and physics and all laws that govern this universe. And their arguments dwindle down to "god can do whatever he wants". Bah!

Yeah, I mean, what if the world exploded tomorrow and humanity ceased to exist? That would further blow their arrogant beliefs out the window, seeing how it pretty much kills the purpose of their 'future Christian' offspring. As long as I don't have to see another Bible thumper trying to intimidate me with revelations and prophecy crap, I'd be more than relieved. It seems like that's only possible if you're living on a secluded island or if you're dead. What a shame.

• 1 month later...

Well, there you go. Another thing you don't learn in church. It's only the stuff they want you to hear.

I got more damn unlearning and research to do than I can handle right now.

Last year, before I deconverted, I found out this bit about Martin Luther. I was damn pissed, too. In my history class at my Christian School, we learned all about him, but this little morsel was left out. I also discovered that John Calvin, who was, of course, also revered as a pioneer of the Christian faith, tortured unbelievers. This also never made its way into my history class. Imagine that! The things they don't teach you about Christian "heroes"....

Given his rabid anti semitism he more likely would have been a Neo Nazi.

Religion IS hell on earth that it's talking about. The rapture masturbators can go fuck themselves, doing us all a favour.

Excuse me for diving into a rant now. Warning- extreme bad language as befitting a rant.

End Times is one of the worst fucking things mankind fucking have invented. They have to kill shit to fulfill their petty stupid prophecies. Fuck them all to shattered glass. We have been suffering under the Fundie fuckminders for thousands of motherfucking years.

Well, I'm here to tell you all I will not tolerate it any longer. It's going on for too long, too stupid and it's pissing me off. I want all the rapture theologies that ever existed with their cut off shitheads on freakin' platters. I am fucking fed up with the bullshit of fundies, they are abusing in the name of bullshittin' salvation.

Poverty, wars, abuse are perputated in the name of the end of World, what for? Nothing. Nothing. But chaos and destruction. Yes you're right, prophesied (read: made up to get rich) apocalypses piss me off to no end. Yes you are right that I want to change things. Yes you are right that I think humans are inherently good not crap despite their best efforts to be worthless. Yes you are also right that I think religionists are wasting their time brainwashing themselves that Jesus is coming back, that their lives are a waste of time in this respective light. But I know they won't change their minds. Oh well. We can only hope they don't find a way of completely destroying our beautiful planet for a long long while.

Why do I rant thus? I am despairing and I am acting in the best interests of humanity and I just know that humanity are better than this. What can I do in face of the monster-machine of destructive thoughtseeding lies? Nothing but to wait it out or shout at it.

But what can I actually do? Change myself and be a light unto the world. That's more than the gutless fundies can say for themselves, despite Jesus telling them to be a fuckin' bed lamp thousands of times and them not taking it to heart.