Goodbye Jesus

Aaaarrggghhh!

Ahh!

This is a little free associative, hence the title. Pretty much just a vent because right now a lot of things are angering me.

I am sick of the collectivism of our society. Everybody needs to be part of some group and their willing to throw their brains out the window to get in. A perfect example of this is organized religion. I know a lot of people who are willing to ignore logic just so they can retreat into the protective womb of fundamentalism. They think they've found such a perfect solution to their problems. "Now I don't have to think, I have some lunatic minister telling me how to wake up, brush my teeth and even how to wipe my fucking ass. But I'm so much better off than everyone else!"

If they're not into fundamentalism, they're involved in the New Age. Oh, they're happy. So happy with their artificial positive thinking exercises. Nevermind they are undermining the legitimate study of historical mysticism and alternative religion. We're in the Age of Aquarius so it's OK.

And if it isn't religion, it's inevitably something just as stupid or even more so. Race is a very good example. I am so sick of America's fucking preoccupation with race. When I was a child, I didn't even think about other people in regards to their race. Now I have so much racial garbage stuffed into my head, it's hard for me to see someone of another race and not think, say, "He's Asian. Be very careful not to refrence Kung Fu under any condition or you'll piss him off." And I know that a lot of other people are that way. A lot of people have insecurities about dealing with other races. Can I say this in front of a white person and not piss them off? Or a black person? Or a Hispanic person? And now we're all shivering in our boots just trying not to piss each other off!

But that's not what's most annoying. Back on topic, it's the collectivists. People who think there race is everything, just like Christians and Muslims think there religion is everything.

I know a kid who joined the Aryan Nation earlier this year. He's a product of a bad neighborhood and he spent most of our high school years in special ed but he's not stupid. In conversations we had in school, he would break through his rough "redneck" exterior from time to time and display an amazing knowledge of history and even some of the social sciences. I suspect he is just one of many people in the school system who have purposely ended up in special ed both to obtain special scholarships that the state grants for college and for social reasons. I asked why he joined up and his answer was that white people were thinking too individualisticly. He pointed to a crowd of Hispanics and said, "see? They stick together. Just like the Vietmanese did. That's how they gain and keep power. White people don't do that. That's why Europe's overrun with Muslims. No group to drive them out." He could only think in collectives and brute power. Who was overrunning who.

Another racist group I encounter a lot is the Five Percenters. They're interesting because they claim "not to be a religion, a cult, a gang or a hate group" but a "way of life" (they print this on their pamphlets.) They're an offshoot of the Nation of Islam that is atheistic because they're founder apparently agreed with Marx that religion was the opiate of the masses. They teach that "the Black Man is the only true God" and refer to each other as Gods and Earths (they believe women are inferior to men so they don't call them Goddesses but instead Earths because they "produce the seeds of life.") It's very unusual dealing with them as an agnostic because in many ways they are like atheists, and they appeal to a lot of black kids who under better influences probably would be Humanists or Naturalists but they also have many unscientific ideas. They think religion is utterly destructive to the black community, that religion was designed to control, that both Christianity and Islam raped Africa, and that encouraging education programs in the black community will improve conditions there- all points I agree with- but they also teach that women are inferior to men, that white people are devils (though, unusually enough, they have a small number of white members who are allowed in as long as they agree with that message), and that the history books are completely wrong (they accept the ridiculous Nation Of Islam account of history.) They also seem to find no irony in their insistence that they are not a religion, cult or hate group.

Collectivism screws things up again.

Then, there's politics. Don't even get me started with politics. Too bad, you can't stop me from getting started with politics. I'm going to say it right out: the world's a fucked up place and if you're smart enough to realize that the Republicans and Democrats are both lying scumbags then you're ideas will probably never get to make an impact. You want to know why? Because most people are too stupid to get into politics. And most of those who do get into politics, are too goddamn stupid to understand the impact of their vote. They don't understand the Constitution or the philosophy that underlies our form of government. Do you know what they vote on? Identity. Collectivism again. "Duh, I'm a Christian so I should vote Brownback. Brownback 08! Brownback 08!" I encountered a Brownback supporter today. All he knew about Brownback was that he was a Christian. He didn't even know his position on abortion except "he's probably Pro-Life." How stupid can you be?

That wasn't even an isolated incident. Mormons are a pretty heavy demographic here too and I bet you can guess who they're all voting for.

And those are only extreme examples. I am sick and tired of people falling for simple advertising slogans. Why are you voting for Giuliani. Zombie like response: He is America's mayor. How is he America's mayor? "I dunno."

Two parties of zombies, all out for everyone's brains. Have you ever commented on a far right or far left blog? Holy shit. They'll call you communist/fascist/God hater/racist/etc. Some even will post your IP address. I was called a "Muhammedan" for disagreeing with a blogger who thought that Muslims caused the Virginia Tech shooting. No intelligent thought allowed. Only ideology. Only ideology. Join the borg. Assimilate, assimilate!!!

The pundit game is annoying too. Half the videos of commentators are named somebody slams somebody. Al Franken slams Sean Hannity. Rush Limbaugh slams Susan Estrich.

Let me say this as directly as I can: I don't give a shit who slams who. This isn't a fight on the playground in 8th Grade. This is international politics and if we fuck up, which we inevitably will because most people only follow this kind of politics, we're dead. Fuck Al Franken. Fuck Sean Hannity. Fuck them all. They're all a bunch of overpaid idiots whose idea of how the world works is a holy war of right versus left.

And don't think I'm going to spare you "alternative politics" folks. Don't get me wrong: alternative politics is the source of most intelligent thought today, when it equates with actually doing research but I'm sick and tired of hearing about how great Noam Chomski, Howard Zinn, Ayn Rand, and Leonard Peikoff all are. They're just more philosophical versions of Michael Moore, Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity! For goodness sakes, think for yourselves people.

And if I get one more spam e-mail from the Ron Paul Meetup group I joined, I swear I'm voting Giuliani just to piss you off!

I want to go into a world with no groups, only individuals. No politics, no religions, no racial identities, no subculturs. Just individuality. I can't stand this world. I can't stand the tribalism.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Your post is sweeping in its nihilism. I would submit that people who cannot effectively cope with the world as it is, idiots and all, are no better than their antagonists. Nonetheless, I can certainly sympathize with your frustration, and this forum is set aside for rants, so rant away! I hope you find some perspective that allows you to conduct your life in this screwy world without going bonkers.

It's great to think for yourself, but you've got to vote for somebody if you want your voice heard. When you vote for someone, you are acting collectively; there is no getting around it. Humans are social animals. As John Donne said, "No man is an island". Most are part of the continent. You seem to be a peninsula, Ahh! I think that's great; more power to you! But we all depend on one another, and groups of people dominate individuals. It may not be ideal, but it is reality.

My life is forgiving people for being shit heads...

Uh, you do realize that humans are social animals? Hard to change millions of years of hard wiring. As Ro points out, nothing wrong with being and individual, but don't piss on everyone else for not choosing your path. But I guess your rant is likely triggered by youthful angst. Once you are free from the grip of your parents and on your own, you won't feel so much pressure to conform that it causes you to want to strike back at it. Just my guess.

I took it all as a rant. Rants don't have to make sense, you just have to feel better after doing it.

Does Ahh! feel better now?

I took it all as a rant. Rants don't have to make sense, you just have to feel better after doing it.

Until people started reading it too literally...

What I meant by collectivism is putting a need to identify with a group first and foremost in once life instead of thinking about what one is identifying with first. I do not define it as being a member of a group, which is obviously natural.

What I meant by collectivism is putting a need to identify with a group first and foremost in once life instead of thinking about what one is identifying with first. I do not define it as being a member of a group, which is obviously natural.

I was born in America. I am an American. But I don't care much for patriotism. I see government as a necessary evil not a God or an uncle. Governments should work for the people. Governments should be loyal to the people and not really the other way around. I consider myself first and foremost a citizen of the world. I feel connected to humanity. To me this connection is axiomatic. Some axioms are inescapably self evident. I try to be loyal to THE group and not some groups. THE group is humanity.

The problem with trying to be loyal to everyone is that you will never have any friends. Not really.

You're so right, Republicans and Democrats are just two sides of the same coin. And those of us who realize that have little choice but to cast a protest vote for a third party candidate who isn't going to win, because the general population thinks they have to vote Republican or Democrat because if they vote for a third party, the third party won't win anyway. They are defeating the purpose of voting. :banghead:

You're so right, Republicans and Democrats are just two sides of the same coin. And those of us who realize that have little choice but to cast a protest vote for a third party candidate who isn't going to win, because the general population thinks they have to vote Republican or Democrat because if they vote for a third party, the third party won't win anyway. They are defeating the purpose of voting. :banghead:

I liked it better when the vice prez was the one from the losing candidates.

I think the reason why the republicrooks party and the demiclowns parties smell so bad is that many people have made idols of the parties. If your man gets elected show him you don't trust him as far as you can throw him. Give him input about what you don't like and what you would like.

Until people started reading it too literally...

Welcome to my world... there are days I can't fart without it being psychoanalysed... :shrug: