Goodbye Jesus

Top 10 Creation Myths

Christine

The non-xian creation myths and the xian myth are even keel in how ridiculous they sound.

Quite a dilemma for the IDers: were we and the earth created out of a feud between rowdy deities? Can we thank the vomited up daughter of some god who willed himself into being for our existence? Perhaps the earth was hatched out of a cosmic egg and we were born of muddy droplets strewn over the earth. Or maybe it was only one human made out of mud by a god, while the second human was made out of his rib and deceived by a talking snake. It's so hard to choose! They all seem so much more compelling than any stupid scientific evidence we can collect!

I made it as far as #10 (the Norse) and then all the rest weren't found. I guess they rose up and killed off the rest. They're now #1(-10)!

mwc

I'd have to say my favorite of all of those is the Hindu creation myth.

I love LiveScience by the way. Such a cool site.

I tried again and it worked this time. It must have been a temporary glitch. :shrug:

They watered things down a bit for the general audience. Take the Egyptian one for instance:

Atum was genderless and possessed an all-seeing eye. He/she spat out a son, Shu, god of the air. Atum then vomited up a daughter, Tefnut, goddess of moisture.

That didn't sound quite right so I went and found something more along the lines of what I remembered of this story:

Atem is he who masturbated in Iunu (On, Heliopolis). He took his phallus in his grasp that he might create orgasm by means of it, and so were born the twins Shu and Tefnut.

-- Pyramid Text 1248-49

Bet that would knock it up a couple of notches in the ratings... ;)

The Egyptians were far from uptight about their sexuality as their future neighbors and models for the Western world would be (why, oh why, couldn't those gods have won out over that thing we got as his anal "son?").

mwc

The Egyptians were far from uptight about their sexuality

from Ezekiel 23

"19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

I imagine it's hard to be too uptight about sex when you have monstrously huge genitals. :blink:

So it all boils down to another case of penis envy...

Too bad Zeke couldn't just go out and get himself a sports car or something instead of screwing up the world with his ass-hat of a god (hell, if his god was so great why the tiny pecker? Those Egyptian gods apparently cared :grin:).

mwc