Goodbye Jesus

Looking Down On Us

Mythra

As an atheist, I am totally convinced that consciousness ceases at death. Just as surely as a heartbeat or the ability to fart.

But it seems like there is a practically universal acceptance of the notion that the dead are looking down on us.

How many times do you hear it from someone who's just had success at something - "I know that I wouldn't have been able to do it without my dead mama. She was looking down on me and smiling the whole time. I could feel her presence. I just had such a peace, I knew she was there watching and helping me get through it."

gag me.

If the dude's dead mama was watching, I suppose every other dead spirit had the opportunity to get involved too. Maybe it was actually Napoleon or Abraham Lincoln or W.C. Fields that provided the critical assistance....

I guess what pisses me off is, it's such a universal assumption. Does anyone besides me roll their eyes when they hear this stuff?

Just as surely as a heartbeat or the ability to fart.
Dead bodies do fart sometimes. And burp.

Does anyone besides me roll their eyes when they hear this stuff?
I don't roll my eyes. I usually look at them like ---> :Wendywhatever: and change the subject. :shrug:

But it seems like there is a practically universal acceptance of the notion that the dead are looking down on us.

Yeah, that's stupid even for xianity. Aren't the dearly departed supposed to be in heaven or hell? Or in some factions at least asleep until judgement day? And if they are looking down...why? What can they do about it if they don't like what they see?

Nah...when I'm gone, I'll be just gone, period.

I wonder if the same guy who thinks his dead mama helped him win a golf tournament is at all concerned that she's looking down as he finds a couple of hookers for a little threesome goodtime. :scratch:

Oh, and Fwee: as soon as I wrote "fart" in the OP, I KNEW you'd be here to clarify that cadavers are indeed able to pass gas. :HaHa:

Just as surely as a heartbeat or the ability to fart.
Dead bodies do fart sometimes. And burp.

Does anyone besides me roll their eyes when they hear this stuff?
I don't roll my eyes. I usually look at them like ---> :Wendywhatever: and change the subject. :shrug:

DAMN, ya beat me to it... it's gas build up escaping... the silence of the grave doens't happen until you've either saponified or mummified

Okay - you guys got me on that one.

But, if one cadaver passes gas, what are the chances that the adjacent cadaver is able to smell it and say:

OH MY GOD! WHO DIED?

Chick peas have the effect on my GI that I think I could make a week dead corpse sit up and spit...

I think this is the one thing I miss most about religion. I found it very comforting to believe my loved ones were in a better place and that I would see them again. It left me sad and empty to realize they are just gone.

It makes me wish I had known that all along too. Life seems so much more precious now, more important somehow. And kindness, compassion, understanding seem more important too. Once someone is gone you think of all the small kindnesses you could have offered and didn't. Or of all the thoughtless things you did and wish you could erase.

But no matter what, I'm not going to quit eating chick peas. They are just way too delicious.

But no matter what, I'm not going to quit eating chick peas. They are just way too delicious.

:lmao::funny::lmao:

Immortality is in what we leave behind in the minds of others. The pebble in the pond.

It's why, despite having no religious impulse, I have four god children, is to have some effect on the next generation.

I will not be a father, I shall not adopt. I am the end of my line by choice. On day, everything I ever was will be a handful of ashes and a house sale. My name will be forgotten, with not even an enemy to say it with passion.

Unless I choose to be involved with others.

Then, maybe one thought will make someone think something differently, and for a flickering moment my flame shall light a new candle.

Religion is the desire of being sure that one's light meant something somewhere. It's a roll of the dice, a spin of the wheel... chances are the most profound insight into life, the universe, and everything have been found and lost a billion times since we evolved language... why shouldn't I contribute?

I think this is the one thing I miss most about religion. I found it very comforting to believe my loved ones were in a better place and that I would see them again. It left me sad and empty to realize they are just gone.

See, that didn't work for me. Cause hardly anyone in my family is religious. My kids aren't. My parents aren't. And none of them were having any of it. They saw it fuck me up, and they wanted no part of it.

So in my little religious microcosm, everyone I cared about was headed to hell.

I'd much rather think of them ending than suffering. And once I'm dead, I won't care either. Anymore than I felt pain when being cut open during surgery. It's kind of weird thinking that a couple of generations from now, no one will even have a clue that I existed. But I'm quite used to the idea and it doesn't bug me at all.

p.s: Grandpa Harley, that was an awesome post.

Ta :blush:

Oh, and Fwee: as soon as I wrote "fart" in the OP, I KNEW you'd be here to clarify that cadavers are indeed able to pass gas. :HaHa:
I had an uncle who was a mortician. He was so good at his job, that he prepared himself. :mellow:

:scratch:

Anyway, yeah, they burp, fart, moan, groan and sometimes they actually move. :shrug:

When I go, it won't truly be so bad. In fact, I do not even want a funeral because I know that my family will just fuck it up and somehow incorporate their God into what is supposed to be a ceremony of respect and reverence for the life that I lived. That is why I wrote a living will, so that if in the event my father tried to place me into some sort of Christian or Catholic funeral, my assets would be used to put him in a home. A crooked home.

I had an uncle who was a mortician. He was so good at his job, that he prepared himself. :mellow:
Another ass-kicking off-the-cuff joke -- just wasted. :Wendywhatever: