Goodbye Jesus

Religious Discrimination?

quicksand

Kooky beliefs aside. You think this is a case of religious discrimination? A lawful bust? Or both?

Brenna K. Barney, 42, told police that they were infringing on her religious beliefs since she is a Wiccan and she was performing a ritual because of a new moon, Babe said. She said her name is Brenna Raven Moonfire.

Story here.

A lawsuit? Probably. An actual case of religious discrimination? No. They didn't arrest her for being a Wiccan. They arrested her for being drunk and disorderly after midnight.

I had Wiccan neighbors for years, and at no point did they ever go out and start burning crap and screaming at 1a.m. They had some pretty badass parties though.

Yeah, gotta agree. Drunk and disorderly, resisting police, improper burning. No charge mentioned that would suggest discrimination, unless she feels like she has a constituional right to public drunkenness, etc,. Hard case to make.

Lawful bust.

Setting a fire 10 feet from a house? Are you kidding? That's just too close to the building.

And...why would a Wiccan use lighter fluid in a ritual fire? Granted I know absolutely zilch about Wicca...but they seem like folks who embrace nature and the natural order to an extent. I know if I were to do a nature ritual, I would personally be loath to use anything more industrial than a match to create fire with ritual intent. Lighter fluid seems....profane.

And screaming chants? Screaming? Come on now. To celebrate the new moon? Does she get arrested for this activity every month?

I looked up Esbat (the Wiccan lunar ritual)

http://www.goddessmoon.org/sabbats&esb...bats/esbat.html

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/wiccanandp.../Esbat_Rite.htm

Now...again I'm not Wiccan, but I see no evidence that this Observance is meant to involve screaming in your skivvies around a bonfire.

It does seem to involve cookies.

I like cookies.

I had Wiccan neighbors for years, and at no point did they ever go out and start burning crap and screaming at 1a.m. They had some pretty badass parties though.

I had a Buddhist neighbor who acted like that from time to time. I don't think it had anything to do with her Buddhism though, it had more to do with her being bordeline psychotic.

I had a Buddhist neighbor who acted like that from time to time. I don't think it had anything to do with her Buddhism though, it had more to do with her being bordeline psychotic.

:twitch::rolleyes:

Nothing to do with any Buddhist practice.

I'm not seeing religious discrimination. It looks like nutjob discrimination to me. And yes, there is a difference, though some correlation exists.

Sounds like a lawful bust of the fucking stupid, not religious discrimination.

*facepalm*

Kooky beliefs aside. You think this is a case of religious discrimination? A lawful bust? Or both?

Brenna K. Barney, 42, told police that they were infringing on her religious beliefs since she is a Wiccan and she was performing a ritual because of a new moon, Babe said. She said her name is Brenna Raven Moonfire.

Story here.

"At one point she poured lighter fluid on the fire, which was 10-feet from her residence, he said. She was burning rubber car mats and a cooler, Babe said."

Nope. I see a fire hazard and a person being loud after midnight. Being drunk on your own property is no crime.

Yeah, burning rubber and plastic is like so loving toward your earth-mother.

Hehe. I worry that magical thinking + a person who can't appreciate critical thinking = a mindless impenetrable wall. Crazy does not need any help from invisible friends

....crazy is difficult enough as it is.

I'd say she was three sheets in the wind if not half seas over. It's just an excuse to get out of paying a fine for being drunk and disorderly.

Casey

Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought when I read it!

I would have called the cops if she was Wiccan, Christian, Satanist, or just some drunks having a bonfire. Midnight is not the time to get loud and abnoxious, unless you own enough property to be far away enough from your neighbors to not be heard or seen.

Maybe she was doing deconstructionalist performance art.

Maybe she was doing deconstructionalist performance art.

Nah...just f***ed up out of her gourd...