Goodbye Jesus

Looking For An Inexpensive Stereo

LithaB

I could get a new cd deck for my old stereo system that I bought back in the 1970s (hey, it still works just fine!) but my son has been trying to convince me that I really need to update my equipment.

Can anyone recommend new stereo that sounds reasonably good but doesn't cost a fortune?

It wouldn't be on the top of any salesman's list, for several reasons, but those little subwoofer/ 2 satellite speaker combos really pack a punch. I've bought a few sets in China, the one I use the most is a Parlatin, which would register as no name or generic in the states. Can't find the wattage or specs on it, guessing 50/200 w range,runs on 250 v ac. Wooden box, 4 knobs. It rocks. It's what I use for listening to MP3s on my pc. Definitely having a friendly relationship with Kyuss (pre-Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal) right now.

This one cost 250 RMB here in Shanghai, which would be about $35 US.

misspelling

I was offered a free hot car stereo, car speakers, and a computer today, that this guy supposedly got for free at work....

If they guy wouldn't have acted like he was in a hurry (and he obviously was), and we wouldn't have been at a crowded Speedway, I would have taken them.

I don't know of any brands, but I would check ebay, and the classifieds in whatever news paper you get.

was wondering this myself, the speakers on my stereo system have taken a vacation, permanently......

If you are sitting at a PC with a good 5.1 system onboard, you've got the "noise maker" that plays your mp3's and audio disks already...

Trick is finding the decent set of speakers and subwoofers that will match up with what you want to do.

If you want to listen to tunes, any good set of amplified speaks will do well.

If you want to be able to record your old vinyl, cassettes and assorted audio tapes, then a slightly better sound card that allows direct connect to it via your older devices, or a good pre-amp will do wonders for your listening pleasure.

I now have my turntable, a preamp, cassette decks all hooked in so I can transfer my old vinyl to mp3...

If you want a good stand alone system, there are quite a few that sell for sub 100usd that work wonders for playing anything including mp3 formatted SD RAMS.. Will rock your ass off seat and the neighbors off the electric polka being listened to in their driveway....

"Ermm, not that I'd KNOW.."

k, deaf for a forking purpose, FL