Goodbye Jesus

God's Perfect Will

Beowulf

I ran into an acquaintance from a church where I had worked as music director for a number of years. This church was an independent charismatic church, and the individual in question was all bent on soul-winning, etc. His first question was, "So, where are you directing music now?"

Of course, I informed him that I no longer did that, to which he asked if I was involved with other church work. The rest of the conversation went something like this...

Me: "I'm currently not involved with a church."

Fundy: "That's a shame. I'm sure God would want you using your talents in his service. We could sure use you back at XYZ Church"

Me: "Be that as it may, I don't intend to get involved with a church." (At this point I'm looking for a gracious escape.)

Fundy: "You know, God's got a perfect will for your life. I feel strongly that by not putting your talents to use, you're outside of God's will."

Me: "Then it's not so perfect, is it? Either that, or the fact that I apparently can get outside of His Will so easily makes me more powerful than Him."

Fundy: (Sputters a few trite lines about free will, etc., followed by...) "With an attitude like that I'm afraid you're in danger of Hell fire."

Me: "If you truly believe in 'God's Perfect Will', then you must believe 2 Peter 3:9, which states that the Lord is 'not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.' Sounds like it doesn't matter whether I direct a church choir or not."

At this point the Fundy stomps off. Just another shining example of how Christians A) don't pay attention to the holes in their logic, and B) don't pay attention to their own Bible.

The plan is ineffable.

Oh, ineffability. I forgot about that.

We thought you did.

Credit Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett

Fundy: "You know, God's got a perfect will for your life. I feel strongly that by not putting your talents to use, you're outside of God's will."

Me: "Then it's not so perfect, is it? Either that, or the fact that I apparently can get outside of His Will so easily makes me more powerful than Him."

LMAO!!!!

I would love to have seen that! :funny:

Great answer Beowulf, especially the way you were put on the spot.

I just can't see how Christians reconcile God's will being not done with God's nature as all-powerful. How's that? It just does not compute!

Logically everything that happens must be "God's will," according to their own doctrine.

HAH! That's great! I wonder how an 86 year old that worked his ass off for 50+ years to make ends meet, feed and clothe a family, buried a wife, and try to educate the kids would feel about that silly-ass statement.

I think that's an excellent answer.

Here's another suggestion:

You to fundy: You know humans are responsible for their actions. I feel strongly that by meddling in other people's business you are over-stepping the bounds of decency. Jesus said to mind your own business.

(That's from the story where Jesus asks Peter, Do you love me? Then Peter looks around and sees John. He asks, "What about this guy?" Jesus says, "If I want him to live till I come again, that's none of your business."

:funny:

That's frickin' awesome, Beowulf - I'd've loved to have been a fly on that wall...

:funny:

That's frickin' awesome, Beowulf - I'd've loved to have been a fly on that wall...

Thanks.

Normally, I think of all these witty retorts AFTER an encounter. However, someone earlier in the day had said something about God's Will, and it already had me thinking along these lines. The Fundy just happened by with the wrong phrase at the wrong time (or right time, from my standpoint.)

Translation: It really would be better for our church if you were to join so we could take free advange of your quality services which outsiders would insist on being paid for.

Your response was great Beowulf!

The Old Testament is full of cases where god's will fails so he has to go on another killing spree. If god challenges you to a game of cards, whatever you do, don't beat him.

Just to share one of the lighter moments from my internal world

When I see the title of this thread, the phrase 'My entire, pallid-pink English arse!' flits across the nuclear waste lands that passes for my mind...