Goodbye Jesus

Did Anyone Else Catch "god's Warriors" On Cnn Last Night?

Lerato

Overall I thought it was a pretty good show and was presented well, although I got a phone call half way through so I missed some parts - I will have to remember to TiVo the next two episodes so I don't have that problem. Although I am an exChristian I never came from a particularly fundamentalist background, so programs like this are especially eye opening for me. Overall these are some of my thoughts on the first episode (Jewish fundies);

- Christiane Amanpour - Love Her!

- In some ways it felt a bit like a build up for the next two epidsodes (Muslim and Christian fundies). It feels like some producer said "Hey let's put the Jews first since there's just less of them to make fundamentalist asses of themselves". This also may be why Muslims are next and Christians are last, rather than following the chronological order of when the religions developed.

- First part contrasted the ideologies of a fundamentalist and a secular Jew in Israel (the latter of which considers classical music to be his religion). The history of Israel was touched upon lightly, however I wish that the program had taken a closer look at how fundamentalist ideologies develop over time and how religious texts are used to justify them.

- The show then moved from Israel to the US where Fundamentalist Orthodox Jews in New Yawwk (aka New York) host posh dinner parties to attract donors to fund Jewish settlements in Palestinian territories in the West Bank. As the funds go towards establishing community centers, schools, shops, etc. they are even tax deductible. A snazzily dressed New York State representative and his wife talk about purchasing a house outside of Hebron.

-Jimmy Carter appears out of nowhere to talk with Christiane about his latest book and to say that while US policy has opposed further Israeli settlement of Palestinian territory no one has actually done anything about it. Clips of all of the presidents from Reagan to George W are shown in which all of the presidents condemn Israeli expansion.

-The most interesting part of the program for me was the part that discussed increasing alliances between Fundamentalist Jews and Evangelical Christians. Various scenes depicted churches hosting special "support Israel" services where collections are taken up to support Jewish expansion in the Holy Land. A couple of people mention their belief that the rapture will occur once Jews have recovered all of the territory designated to them in the Bible. One of the Jews requesting donations for Jewish expansion was asked how she felt about grovelling to Christians, who have largely persecuted Jews for the last few thousand years, and she seemed to see it as the cost of doing business so to speak.

I had to take a phone call so I missed the second hour. Please fill me in on the highlights if you managed to catch it. Tomorrow's show is about fundie Muslims and fundie Christians cap everything off on Thursday.

I missed the second hour as well, so I can't help you there... but I thought it was pretty well-done. She got some really interesting people to interview and I was fascinated by the Christian groups who think that the diaspora must return home for Jesus to come again.

I hadn't heard of this, you have info about when the next episode is and what cnn channel its on?

I was fascinated by the Christian groups who think that the diaspora must return home for Jesus to come again.

well, then, we are all safe, at least in our lifetime, because I am a proud father of a Jewish boy and I will now lock him in the basement for the next 80 years so he can not return with the others....thereby keeping Jesus stuck at bus terminal and not being able to board the End Times Bus with non-stop service to Earth.

Hal-A-Lou-Ya. I have saved mankind from God's wrath. Sweet.

Missed the episode, though I saw the previews and thought it looked good. When is the next one?

I hadn't heard of this, you have info about when the next episode is and what cnn channel its on?

Missed the episode, though I saw the previews and thought it looked good. When is the next one?

Tonight's episode is on from 9:00-11:00PM on CNN and will focus on Muslim fundies. Christian fundies get their turn tomorrow (also on CNN from 9:00 to 11:00).

If I remember correctly, the second half dealt with the Jewish terrorists and their actions. The killing of the prime minister that basically destroyed the peace process. Sharon's actions that started the latest infatada. The attempted bombing of a Palestine school for girls. Also, more of "G.d said it was our land in the Torah, so it is, and to hell with anyone living there."

I was fascinated by the Christian groups who think that the diaspora must return home for Jesus to come again.

well, then, we are all safe, at least in our lifetime, because I am a proud father of a Jewish boy and I will now lock him in the basement for the next 80 years so he can not return with the others....thereby keeping Jesus stuck at bus terminal and not being able to board the End Times Bus with non-stop service to Earth.

Hal-A-Lou-Ya. I have saved mankind from God's wrath. Sweet.

:lmao: You better not tell them or they will kidnap your son!