Goodbye Jesus

"vengeance Is Mine"

Llwellyn

"I will repay." Romans 12:19-21

It will be a miracle if, at some point in the future, I am no longer afflicted by these words. Hearing these words of God's cursings and wrath has truly been the worst thing that has ever happened to me. After they crossed my mind, they took up residence as a destructive cognitive parasite.

As for me, I did not have a normal process of growing into an adult because I was so afraid of "breaking the rules" and "provoking God's wrath." My adolescent and college years, which should have been a time of exploration and discovery, were times of rigid adherance to a set of random rules and a strange mindset. Instead of going to State University, where I would have learned what it mean to be a human, I went to Christian College, where I became a mind-controlled robot. Now I find myself emotionally, professionally, and socially stunted -- all because of this idea of God's retaliation.

What have been the ways that this idea has hurt you in the past? How do they continue to hurt you?

I don't struggle with these issues, but my husband does. If you find a way to deal with it, let me know... because I hate to see him (and you) paralyzed by such fear and driven by such a dualistic worldview that doesn't go away when one leaves Christianity.

Maybe you should get one of those "God's Promises" books and focus on those instead. They're completely contradictory to the curses, but there are more of them... so maybe that means if the Christian God exists that you won't get cursed after all, because God promised to save you once you got saved.

Long shot, I know... but I don't know what would help besides time and purposefully finding something to replace negative obsessive thoughts.

'Revenge' is a human concept. A God who knew all of the future would have time to get over himself.

"I will repay." Romans 12:19-21

It will be a miracle if, at some point in the future, I am no longer afflicted by these words. Hearing these words of God's cursings and wrath has truly been the worst thing that has ever happened to me. After they crossed my mind, they took up residence as a destructive cognitive parasite.

For years I used to think there had to be some sort of universal justice. My take on it was kind of different, I never did view it in a personal sense, but I thought that because there obviously was no justice on the earth, that there would have to be some elsewhere at some future time and place. This idea kept me in xianity for a long time, even after I ceased to believe in a literal hell. You see I came out of fundamentalism and looked on God as punative and he would still mete out some kind of punishment. Then one day I just realized that there did not have to be justice (and retribution would be a part of it). That it was a purely human concept planted in my head by others, along with all the other dogma.

Really this was one of the last major problems that I had to reason through before I totally deconverted.