Goodbye Jesus

Christians and the nine commandments

Mythra

I find the disputes over the posting of the 10 commandments kind of humorous, since christians only pay attention to 9 of em. The big number 4 goes unheeded by everyone except Seventh Day Adventists and a handful of others.

Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

I remeber the shock I had when I first found out that the Sabbath was Saturday. I had just always assumed it was Sunday.

How does a few letters from Paul override what was written in stone by the finger of God?

Anyone got a legitimate reason.

Let me start with the standards:

1. Sunday is the Lords Day. It was established in the early christian church.

2. We are no longer under the law

3. Let no man judge you with respect to the keeping of a sabbath.

Actually, I have a whole lot better one. This is a Mythraic original as far as I know.

When biblegod stopped the sun for a whole day to help out Joshua, that messed up the whole weekly calendar, and Saturday became Sunday. Hence, Sunday is the Sabbath. from the book of wisdom of Mythra

Anyone got any better explanation?

1. You shall not worship any other god but YHWH.

Christmas is the obviously the biggest christian shindig at least in the West. This makes it quite clear to me that Mammon is the god acctually worshiped by the majority of Christians.

2. You shall not make a graven image.
The command is not to make an image of anything. Islam follows this one pretty good. However, have you ever been in a Christian book store?

3. You shall not take the name of YHWH in vain.
This one they maybe follow because it is about taking an oath in the matter of a contract or witness. Since contracts are no longer bound by oath, there is no reason to break this.

4. You shall not break the Sabbath.
Even Jesus broke this one. Even if Sunday could be called the Sabbath there are few Christians that will not do work that day.

5. You shall not dishonor your parents.
Jesus recommends that you break this one. If you don't hate them you can't be his disciple. However, probably many Christians do obey it.

6. You shall not murder.
Conditionally obeyed. If you are Iraqi look out!

7. You shall not commit adultery
:lmao:

8. You shall not steal.
That is you shouldn't hold up the corner store. However, if you are a capitalist you may steal as much of a person's labor as you can get away with.

9. You shall not commit perjury.
We know at least George Bush keeps this one. He holds this commandment in high esteem. Therefore, he won't take an oath when he testifies.

10. You shall not covet.
The whole economy is about breaking this one.

PLCASE.jpg

Read a tabloid headline that said they found 10 more commandments recently. I almost collapsed laughing. the picture was moses holding a bunch of tablets with 2 more beneath him.

chef: very good point about the christians not really obeying the commandments.

I especially liked your comment about adultery.

I guess my point would have been better stated if I said that Christians at least give lip service to 9 of them, and completely dismiss the Sabbath commandment as no longer a valid one.

Just wanted to add to my above post.  I've heard it explained by Christians that there will not be new moons or sabbaths because of how Revelations says that God/Jesus light will be the light.  One pastor I know told me that IF Isaiah, would have told the Jewish people that there wouldn't be New Moons or Sabbaths that they wouldn't have understood so Isaiah, used the language of "that time."  Oh, Brother!

What the fuck? I'm not sure which part of that was strangest...the part about no new moons or sabbaths or the understanding Isaiah part. Christian logic makes my head hurt...

My sister and bro-in-law are Jewish, so when I hear christians complaining about people "not keeping the Sabbath holy" (as rarely as that happens), I immediately think "So, you don't want work done on Saturday?" Someone actually wrote a letter to the editor in an area paper about the sabbath, and it confused me for a while because they were talking about Sunday...

I saw that tabloid about "10 More Commandments Found" and almost bought the thing, just to see what they were. :)

I find the disputes over the posting of the 10 commandments kind of humorous, since christians only pay attention to 9 of em.

It would be humorous if it was not really a subversive attempt to insert Christian theology into the state.

I've taken a new tact on this discussion in addition to separation of church and state, which is to point out that if they are to be posted, they must be posted in full or else they're guilty of removing words from the Bible.

So, here's the wonderfull god inspired 10th commandment in its actual context (not a watered down translation):

Do not long for anything that belongs to your neighbor. Do not long for your neighbor's house, wife, slave or concubine, ox or donkey.

Manservant and maidservant do not merely mean hired domestic help.