Goodbye Jesus

Religious People And Humor

BobbyCole

I was thinking to myself while in the car before about this and I had to come here to post it. I get a lot of rude mail from religious people because I am pretty forward and sometime hurtful but I inject a lot of humor in all my posts against religion on all the sites I go to or those I am a member.

Religious people, those who mention Allah, Jesus, Lord, God etc....all day long and pray all day or who feel that God and Religion is the only reason they are on the planet.. Did you ever notice that they have absolutely NO sense of humor when it come to anything. The only time you will see them laughing is when they are reinforcing their position or superiority over all non believers and how righteous they act about their plan for eternity with God and Jesus.

It is just me that sees this... Please people chime in and let me know how you feel about this..

Bobby

No doubt there are a lot of religious folks who are pretty dour, but it's definitely not true of all of them. I have an uncle who was a southern baptist deacon, and he's always had quite a lively sense of humor. He'd even push the envelope a tad telling jokes, if you know what I mean. I've known others who could be funny as hell without using a single 4-letter word.

Depends on the type of humor. A lot of the very religious don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to religion, but not all are entirely deprived. My father was a Pentecostal, and he would tell jokes that would make the dog blush. I was the only 8-year-old in school who knew the "Superman" joke ("I don't know, but my asshole's killing me!").

I was thinking to myself while in the car before about this and I had to come here to post it. I get a lot of rude mail from religious people because I am pretty forward and sometime hurtful but I inject a lot of humor in all my posts against religion on all the sites I go to or those I am a member.

Religious people, those who mention Allah, Jesus, Lord, God etc....all day long and pray all day or who feel that God and Religion is the only reason they are on the planet.. Did you ever notice that they have absolutely NO sense of humor when it come to anything. The only time you will see them laughing is when they are reinforcing their position or superiority over all non believers and how righteous they act about their plan for eternity with God and Jesus.

It is just me that sees this... Please people chime in and let me know how you feel about this..

Bobby

Humor at the expense of the other person is seldom seen as funny by the victim. I am not sure what kind of humor you're talking about but I'd give that one some thought. It has been observed on here that Christians think we are being disrespectful of them when we merely disagree with them or state our beliefs. When one openly makes a joke of their beliefs in their face, well, you know......

If it were true that Christians cannot have fun and jokes then I would have seen very little or no fun or jokes in my life. But that's not the case. Like the others say on here, Christians can be hilarious, esp. when they're young and full of life and carefree. I've seen one-upmanship games in humor like you wouldn't believe. And these were Christians. I'm no good at these games but some people are pros.

I'm talking about horse and buggy people who have no tv, no radio, no music, no nothing. Not even a tape deck or record player. They're on their own resources when it comes to entertainment and they're not lacking in ideas. They can get quite a lively dancefloor going with nothing but the human voice, a mouth organ, and a plastic bucket from the milkhouse. Yes, the ones where I grew up do allow dancing for young people.

And some of them are naturals when it comes to entertaining the crowd. Naturally, this includes humor of many different types and stripes. So no, I have not noticed that Christians lack in humor. But they absolutely will not tolerate anything they think is disrespect of their beliefs. Not from outsiders. Behind closed doors they may make their own jokes on religion or religious authority, but it's not okay for us to do it. If we want to relate positively to them we will respect this.

I'm reliably informed nuns have no sense of humour...

You have OBVIOUSLY been misinformed. Havent you seen Sister Act.. :lol:

You have OBVIOUSLY been misinformed. Havent you seen Sister Act.. :lol:

Haven't you seen Sister Act 2? :ugh::grin:

mwc

Logic tells me that it's unreasonable to judge all nuns throughout the ages and around the world by one set. Maybe the one set were ruled by a sour Mother Superior who would metaphorically chop off anyone's head who smiled. Some religious people do believe that there is such a thing as being too light-hearted. Such people can see a smile as indication of inappropriate light-heartedness of things that ought to be taken seriously. I think this is esp. the case when the authority figures are in a sour mood or have very fragile egos.

I was cracking a Kurgan joke... but I'm like that

Religious people, those who mention Allah, Jesus, Lord, God etc....all day long and pray all day or who feel that God and Religion is the only reason they are on the planet.. Did you ever notice that they have absolutely NO sense of humor when it come to anything.

Dunno... all you readers out there, wouldcha say I got no sense of humor? :scratch:

:fdevil:

But I thought God has a sense of humor! :)

Whatever God(s) is/are out there - there must be humor involved. I mean, look at the duck-billed platypus and tell me this critter ain't a joke all and out :lmao:

Man, am I really the only one in here who immediately recognized that as referring to Kurgan?! :blink:

;)

But I thought God has a sense of humor! :)

Whatever God(s) is/are out there - there must be humor involved. I mean, look at the duck-billed platypus and tell me this critter ain't a joke all and out :lmao:

I'm sure the platypus feels the same way about us... I know cats do... no claws, can't see, blunt teeth, can't smell worth a damn... if cats had opposable thumbs they'd not keep us around...

Funniest thing I've heard in a while came out of the mouth of a priest. Probably a telling commentary on religion as well.

R: How's Business?

Priest: Good. I love sin.

R: Really, why's that?

Priest: If it weren't for sin and guilt I'd have to go out and get a real job like you.

*nods* The curse of Greyface

If you can't laugh at your own beliefs then you're only seeing half of the truth. You need Creative Chaos as well as Creative Order. Order is not better than chaos. Creative order or chaos is better than destructive order or chaos.

Some people take life too seriously. They need to read the Principia Discordia.

Man, am I really the only one in here who immediately recognized that as referring to Kurgan?! :blink:

;)

I knew it sounded familar, but not until I saw the word Kurgan did I remeber my own Scottish roots were involved.

If you're being hurtful towards people don't expect them to laugh. My dad's favorite jokes of all time are cut-downs (typical jackass), and he always gets pissed when you don't play along and debase yourself further for his laugh. You might want to check yourself.

Now in my experience, I've seen pastors and priests tell jokes about God from the pulpit. But I do remember thinking one time that Muslims have no sense of humor. I mean, the sentence above says that Christians can joke, at least respectfully, about their own religion, even make a cartoon or two about it. But it's like Muslims, you never hear God jokes from them. God's too big and scary to make jokes about. Try and all you'll get is a look that's a cross between withering and shocked. Admittedly, though, my experience is limited and may be flawed.

Here is a joke I heard from a "born again Christian"

There was a man who bought a donkey from a preacher and the preacher told the buyer that the donkey only knows two commands;

"If you want to make him go you say Hala lu yah and when you want him to stop you say Amen."

So the man gets on the donkey and says Hala lu yah and the donkey starts off walking. After the donkey had been walking for quite some time he begin nearing a high cliff with a drop off straight down and the man tried to remember how to stop the donkey as he got nearer the cliff so he says

"Jesus, God, Moses, Mathew, Luke, John" but nothing slowed the donkey down so he started praying "Dear Lord I know I have been a bad sinner all of my life but if you will make this donkey stop I promise I'll turn my life around and follow you, amen." And the donkey stopped immediately on the very edge of the cliff and the man threw his arms up and shouted "Hala lu yah!"

(Not sure of how to spell hala lu yah)

Bobby

i have had this very conversation with my only non internet friend that is a fellow atheist. it is hard to explain, but even for myself, i never laughed like do now back when i was a christian. my deconversion was only about 13 months ago, but i have noticed a huge difference. and the laughs are deeper, louder, when it is like an all over rush.