Goodbye Jesus

Mother Theresa Had Serious Doubts

oladotun

So it comes out in the news recently, a book about Mother Theresa's so-called secret life (the book is called "Come be my light") has just been published and it shows that for most of her life, and in fact for about 50 years during her ministry to the poor, Mother Theresa actually had serious doubts about her faith. Some of her own words are "Where is my faith?" .... "Even deep down… there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God — please forgive me." In another letter, dated eight years later, Mother Theresa seems still trying to get the grips on her faith. "Such deep longing for God… Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," she wrote. As her fame increased, her faith refused to return. Her smile, she said, was a mask.

mmmh, so I must not be crazy after all..If one of the most celebrated "champions" of the Christian faith, could go through these kinds of depressing and thought provoking periods of cognitive dissonance with Christianity, why do defenders of the faith love to act like you're crazy when you say the truth?

My disillusionment with Christianity came after I realized that the formulas (do this and God will do that) do not work, and after I realized that it is almost impossible (heck it is) to reconcile the verses of "God's love" with the ones of "vengeance and hatred" in the Old Testamant. Religion at its core is without a doubt one of the most successful scams of all time (successful in the sense that it has lasted for so long). Religion leads to mental oppression and bondage which I would easily compare to torture and duress.....

oladotun

well, firstly pleasant to meet you. I am fortunehooks as the name suggest. honestly, mother was a good person, and she doubted what she was taught, it happens. i still think of her as a christian, even though i am not one by any stretch. in fact i loathe the belief system.

"mother was a good person"

who was known to withhold pain medication when camera crews were due.

who handled equivalent funds to the GDP of a South American country, while her hospital is STILL a monument to squalor

who took photo ops with any 'politician', no matter how despotic or bloody handed if the price was right...

http://www.konformist.com/blasphemy/mothert.htm

http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/hitchens_16_4.html

Seriously. If any scam can give organized religion a run for it's money, it's the "saintliness" of Mother T.

Look at this. Those letters....M.T specifically requested they be destroyed. The Church kept them for the very reason we are seeing now......the moment it seems M.T is just one more dead person the Church cannot make money on anymore...*BAM* they release these letters garnering attention and pity for poor M.T......and the Church continues to profit on M.T's cold dead corpse.

Nice.

FUCK the last request of the deceased.....thar's GOLD in them thar' diaries!

What next? Did they do a gynocological exam on M.T posmortem? We going to get some more juicy details about M.T's snatch once the current 'letters' hubub dies down? Might we find out that *gasp* she wasn't a virgin?!! Then spend the next fucking YEAR speculating who got to bang M.T?

The.Woman.Is.Dead. DEAD. D-E-A-D.

Most of us got to watch the corpse be jostled slightly as it was carried through the streets of Calcutta via CNN broadcast.

She's not Elvis Presley's new love slave aboard the Mothership, and she won't be opening for Jim Morrisson in Atlanta either.

Mother Theresa is dead. Who the fuck cares if she had doubts? We ALL have doubts! Some of us are HERE because of those doubts, and some people have gone the other way and become ministers because of the SAME doubts. Unless she's in a position to tell us herself about those feelings, and what they ultimately meant to her, the speculation is useless! And she's really in no condition to discuss in now. Pretty sure her tongue would fall out of her mouth if she even tried.

There's a Weekly World News Headline we'll never get to see : Zombie Jesus and Zombie Mother Theresa Seen at Carl's Jr! Photos Inside!

:ugh:

Okay...that turned into a rant...but jeez! So the woman had doubts! Big deal! I bet she took shits too! Wiped her butt and everything! And I'll bet she even looked at a guy's ass a second time if the view was good! I'll bet she's even tried to drink something too fast only for it to go down the wrong pipe making her sputter and choke. Just like she was a real HUMAN!!!

I agree with Woodsmoke on that one. Any Christian that uses faith or religion to help others has only one agenda is mind and that is to promote religion in an under handed way. I love helping people when I can too but I am an atheist and I have always wanted to help others, the underdog, the down trodden and the cast offs and it was never about religion nor was I influenced by it to help anyone. So if I can help some one without religion or the promoting of it then Mother could have done so too, but no she stayed a nun with the Catholic church and the Catholic church in my opinion is the worst of the worst when it comes to violence, murder, genocide, torture, war, oppression and fraud. If she had any doubts about God then why did she remain a nun? Why did she not quit and go on her own without the "blessings" of the Catholic church?

Oh sure she helped a lot of people but at the same time she gave rave reviews to the Catholic faith so even so that eclipsed all of the good she ever did because of who she represented. It would be like doing good while being a follower of Castro or Hitler. If I wanted to help others regardless who they might be I would not want to have anything to do with any organization that had a past history of violence, murder and oppression as the Catholic church did.

John Rabe was a Nazi. He saved over 100,000 people during the Rape of Nanking. It wasn't for the glory since it destroyed him... he was a misguided man, who did his human best, and paid for it...

Mother Theresa was an opportunist who got off on suffering.

EDIT for fact check: Rabe save 250,000 people from the Japanese. I always think I've misremembered the number, since it defeats my faith human nature.

I agree with Woodsmoke on that one. Any Christian that uses faith or religion to help others has only one agenda is mind and that is to promote religion in an under handed way.

That... wasn't at all what I was trying to say. :twitch:

MLK Jr. was motivated in part by his religious beliefs to help others, and while I'm willing to believe he would probably have been happy to learn his efforts had convinced someone of the "light/love" of his deity, I strongly doubt he had any kind of ill will toward those who worked with him toward his cause if they weren't also Christian.

Oskar Schindler saved over 1000 Jews from death in the Nazi concentration camps despite being German, Roman Catholic and a member of the Nazi party.

In my home town, everyone in the neighborhood helps each other regardless of (lack of) religious affiliation whenever the need arises.

It's not about religion, it's about humanity. Mother Theresa was a despicable example thereof, but that had nothing to do with her religious affiliation.

MLKjr nominated Thich Naht Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize. He's a Vietnamese Buddhist. The Doctor was, to all intents and purposes a Unitarian, who seemed to have no concept 'just one path'.

You often find that the mystic (for want of a better description) Christian (Thomas Merton, Anthony De Mello etc) tend to be pretty catholic (with a small c, and meaning 'universal') when it comes to their views on others who don't share their opinions. In fact they seem to prefer the company of people who DON'T share their view, than people who profess to do so and are just a pain in the arse. The general acceptance that 'one size fits all' is just as much a lie when it comes to God is as when applied to condoms, baseball hats, and lycra underwear.

My understanding was that Oskar Schindler was himself a Jew as Schindler is a German Jewish name although it is true he was a Nazi, a Catholic and a German as there were other Jews who were members of the Nazi Party, Catholics or Christians as well as Germans. In fact that was one of his motives for saving so many Jews is because he was one himself. But then Hitler's mother was suppose to have been a Jew and his father an Austrian.