Goodbye Jesus

Damn It!

GraphicsGuy

Shit...I want to go picket this crusade or at least sit outside with a sign that says "Christianity Hurts" or something to that extent. Anything to keep people thinking about what they're listening to instead of being mindless drones.

Of course, they're hitting the youth and children first...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Damn it though. I just can't do it. I still get way too angry regarding the subject. I can't face down a fundie without becoming furious about their pigshit answers.

...wait...maybe I should write a letter to the paper...???

Shit...I want to go picket this crusade or at least sit outside with a sign that says "Christianity Hurts" or something to that extent. Anything to keep people thinking about what they're listening to instead of being mindless drones.

Of course, they're hitting the youth and children first...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Damn it though. I just can't do it. I still get way too angry regarding the subject. I can't face down a fundie without becoming furious about their pigshit answers.

...wait...maybe I should write a letter to the paper...???

Well, we can only do so much. If people are determined to act like robots, I just don't know. At least you have your group and that something good that you are doing.

The reason I say "act like robots" is that I had the Trinity Broadcasting Network on yesterday and I saw a lady preacher (don't know her name) walking around in a circle on the stage and about 200 people were walking around in circles just like she was, because she told them to, to illustrate some idiotic point she was trying to make. It just blows me away, how people want to be led and told what to think and do.

Yeah, you're right. I can only do so much and I'm really not ready to take on something like this big. I went on a bit of a rant about it on the Facebook message board for my Red Deer Skeptics group and then felt like I had to apologize for putting too much of an anti-religious spin on the group and then found out that a recent member is a believer so he's all worried about being ignored now...ahhh, and reality strikes my idealism once again! lol

Plus, my father (former pastor, still believer) who was actually encouraging my endeavors last night sends me an e-mail this morning, "Picket Will Graham?" So, I had to explain that I am going to be saying/doing some things that he may find shocking if I ever have any hope of finding answers or of changing mindsets or whatever.

Well, "a-learning we will go, a-learning we will go..."

Well, GraphicsGuy, I wish you much success with your group. I think that is the right approach. People are all at various stages of skepticism and it might be best at the beginning to pull back on too much of a hard line approach until you find out where people stand. Personally, it took me so many years of internal work to get where I am now that I have rather low expectations for effecting some kind of immediate and lasting difference in changing someone's point of view that is mired in xianity. But I still think that it is possible to plant a seed in someone's mind that may take root.

I have organized a group for the last year (philosophical and a different subject than yours), and my hat is off to anyone who tries to do it. It is quite challenging and difficult to know where people are coming with their different spiritual/philosophical positions. They will come to a meeting with all kinds of unspoken expectations.

You might want to start preparing yourself right now for how you will respond to a strong personality who wants to "help" you (really take over).

I am sorry I was not able to view your group web site, my computer is very slow and a lot of graphics or videos are just unwatchable. Good luck.

:ugh: I wished I was there and I would picket with you as I love to picket. I have picked city hall, the courthouse, police stations, TV stations, newspapers, magazines, big companies, small companies, churches, charities, a sheriff, a court, a judge, hate groups, a state capitol building and even schools. I am not above picketing anyone I think is an A-hole. A few times the police tried to stop me and I sued them winning and then picketed them. In the US under the Constitution you are allowed to picket anyone including private home owners. Some times I picket alone sometimes with groups sometimes with one other person but I always get notice. Three years ago I even picketed signs at a cross roads that were put there by a crooked mayor to get kick backs on the signs and protesting the raise of my property tax to pay for the signs. But the signs are still there with more added around town, but few people stop for them and just drive through because there is no traffic to stop them.

In the US under the Constitution you are allowed to picket anyone including private home owners. Some times I picket alone sometimes with groups sometimes with one other person but I always get notice.

I am not questioning graphicsguy's right to picket, but just the effectiveness of such an approach in achieving the aim--demonstrating that Xianity is damaging. Seeing a person with a sign on a streetcorner would never have been enough to convince me of the dangers of Xianity or make me deconvert while I was still an Xian. I say that his skeptics group has a greater chance of success in this endeavor.

I would stand outside the building, and as people leave his meetings, hand them tracts that appear to be Christian, but as they go along, it points out the flaws of Christianity, and what science has proven. Also hint at it contradictions and inconsistencies.

A few years ago I put together a list of places to look up in your bible and then go to the next line over with more places to look up and it was titled "How to get the best benefit from your bible." When you read it it contradicted the first set of verses and also you could read a lot a smut verses this way as I did it to convince people how idiotic the bible really was. I then would purposely check out a lot of religious books from the library and insert these flyers inside the book's pages and return the books to the library as they rarely ever checked the pages of the returning books.

And some I left inside of donated magazines to doctor's offices, the hospital and the nursing home. A few I placed on bulletin boards about town and during Christmas time put them next to toys in the toy departments. In the summer months I would toss through open windows of cars or place them under the windshield wipers. Once I even snuck into a church and placed them in between the pages of their song books. I did this for well over two years and I do not know if it ever had any affect but an article came out in one of the papers during that time that stated church attendance in the past year had dropped off all over town and interviewing some people they stated that they had a change of faith and had doubts of the existence of God and rather or not the bible was the inspired word of God.