Goodbye Jesus

Grandfather finds Faith in Cancer

Zach

My grandfather was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. It's probably no big deal, and since he's in his late 80's it'd be less of a shock if he didn't have something wrong, but I gave him a call anyway.

We talked for a while about it, and about the various treatment options that his doctor had mentioned to him, and eventually we got to talking about different aspects of physiology (given my pathobiological training). He then began to comment on the 'miraculous' nature of the human body, and told me that his understanding of the complexity of organ function, in particular the eye, had led to a strengthening of his Christian faith.

I haven't told him about my apostasy, so I just passively agreed with him, but I was flabbergasted that he had just ignored the obvious contradiction that his cancer made. Cancer, by definition, is function gone awry. If our bodies are truly designed by God as in the Watchmaker analogy, then the manifestation of cancer is a Watch exploding.

Wondrous design, indeed.

And lets not foget the appendix, whose function appears only to be to kill people, or the bloodflow to the head of the femur (pretty pitiful and a break has a tendency to disrupt it leading to all kinds of hip unpleasantness), I'm sure we can find other examples of lousy "design." If we can identify design at all, then we can comment on it (even if only good or bad).

• 2 weeks later...
And lets not foget the appendix, whose function appears only to be to kill people, or the bloodflow to the head of the femur (pretty pitiful and a break has a tendency to disrupt it leading to all kinds of hip unpleasantness), I'm sure we can find other examples of lousy "design."  If we can identify design at all, then we can comment on it (even if only good or bad).

And the Christian pop singer who has severe asthma whenever he comes in contact with tree nuts! Whats up with that crap?! :ugh:

Guest JP1283

And any brain disorders such as Autism, OCD, Panic Disorder...oh wait, those are caused by demons. My mistake.

People NEED a sense of purpose. Christians especially.

Cancer is a slap in the face for anyone who believes in life having great purpose, so to combat fear of decline and death, they project purpose onto the cancer.

They in effect GIVE their disease purpose (usually the strenghtening of their spirituality bit).