Goodbye Jesus

Jewish Apologetics= Silver Bullet For Fundies

Ahh!

Yesterday, there was an atheism thread at my old high school's myspace group. I participated and was pleasantly surprised by the number of atheists and agnostics on there. 6 out of 8 people in the thread were freethinkers of some sort, most of them high school freshman! I didn't even start seriously questioning religion until I was a senior.

Anyway, as often happens, the thread eventually attracted a Christian's attention. He posted 9 reasons Christianity was true. I don't have the list handy but it was one of the most naive lists of reasons to believe I have ever seen. Among his reasons was that his mother thought she had cancer, was tested, and didn't (apparently God doesn't even have to miraculously heal you anymore! He just has to scare you and then tell you you're OK.) Several people on there began debating his points, including myself. He tried to dodge everything. I asked him, for example, why it was a miracle that his mother didn't have cancer when millions of other people don't either who aren't Christians. He said God healed them too. Then I asked him about Christians who die of cancer. He said that was caused by Satan.

Eventually, he said that Jesus fufilled all the prophecies for Messiah. I said, "oh really?" I then explained that Jesus's role in messianic prophecy had been a major theological hangup for me and that I had studied for three months a while back if he really was the messiah of the Jews and concluded he wasn't. He posted a list of 300 "prophecies" Jesus fufilled and said "I figured out Jesus was for real in two minutes reading this list. Only Jesus fufills these prophecies." This was the same list Jews For Jesus used to distribute and I had seen it many times. The "prophecies" include dozens of out of context quotes that aren't even prophecies. For example, in Psalms it says somebody screamed in one verse; the list said this refers to Jesus screaming on the cross, even though the next verse shows that it is clearly referring to a battle cry that Isreal screamed before going into battle (the whole chapter is on a battle!) I told him this, asked him to actually look up the quotes in context and then posted links to the Jewish apologetics websites Outreach Judaism and Messiah Truth and told him to research for himself.

It's been almost 24 hours now and he hasn't posted since.

I told him this, asked him to actually look up the quotes in context and then posted links to the Jewish apologetics websites Outreach Judaism and Messiah Truth and told him to research for himself.

Heheheh.

Don't forget Jews for Judaism. They have an area of the site that comprehensively refutes every one of the proof texts, book by book.

I told him this, asked him to actually look up the quotes in context and then posted links to the Jewish apologetics websites Outreach Judaism and Messiah Truth and told him to research for himself.

Heheheh.

Don't forget Jews for Judaism. They have an area of the site that comprehensively refutes every one of the proof texts, book by book.

I love that site!

The thing that kills me is the idea that someone (i.e., a Christian who is not Jewish) can compile and/or understand and use a list of someone else's 'prophecies' in theological debate. Of course, I realize that the Jewish religious people have their own slants and biases as well, but, hey... these are THEIR fucking writings! Ficticious or not, the Jews are the people who have preserved the content and meaning of their books. The Gentile Xtian comes along and thinks because he has a ghostie living in him, he can correct and lecture others. I live near a community of Jews who are extremely religious... I know the Bible front to back, and yet I would NEVER presume to go and tell these people that their understanding of their religious books is wrong. For some reason, millions have seen nothing of Jayzus in the so-called Old Testament, and yet that is seen as a failure. If my favorite color were blue, would it make sense for me to be pissed at my neighbor because he chose red for his new car? It's his car and his reasons, after all.

I am also positive that the little Xtian shithead on that MySpace group would never go to Crown Heights, Brooklyn to read his little fucking list. He'd get shouted down in Hebrew and Yiddish, and most likely get his ass kicked in the bargain. Those people are hardcore about their Orthodox Judaism and especially opposed to Jayzus and his Gentile colonizers.

...opposed to Jayzus and his Gentile colonizers.

I know the word is used correctly, but I can't help but think of a "different" meaning for it. Oh, my mind is in the gutter early today.

...opposed to Jayzus and his Gentile colonizers.

I know the word is used correctly, but I can't help but think of a "different" meaning for it. Oh, my mind is in the gutter early today.

Well that's just shitty...

mwc

I have had fun in the past looking up such things through search engines such as "fighting with christians" and found that Atheists have sites, Jews have sites, Muslims have sites, PLUS Christians have sites for fighting the missionaries of Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses. I find that the funniest of all. Christians not seeing the hipocricy of fighting off LDS or JW missionaries, yet sending out their own missionaries.

It is such a screwy business some people let themselves get sucked into, instead of just trying to be good, kind people and live in peace.