Goodbye Jesus

One Of My Idols Is Gone

par4dcourse

I had to change my avatar.

I've been a big Alice Cooper fan since my teen years in the early 70's, and I was bemused that he, like I, had taken up golf as a means of relaxing. My gf brought home from her job at the library Alice's new book that mixed his autobiography with his golf tips (he's a 4 handicap).

I was shocked to find out near the end that during one of his dry-outs and AA treatments, he turned xtian on me. Damn. Yet another intelligent, entertaining mind snapped shut.

I feel a kindred spirit. I was a rock-and-roller in my spryer years, although no where near an Alice, I had battled alchohol and had modest sucesses with AA. I realize AA is religious, despite their prostrations, and I can see how some could be influenced. Me, :grin: I finally beat alchohol thru the collective bitching of my doctor and my gf. :vent:

Then I got thinking: what about the thousands who find releif at AA? Is there anything special going on there, or is it, as I suspect, mass hypnosis? I'm still fairly new at this, and a few of the xtian things still make me wonder at times. :scratch: No, the bible is still bs.

Then I got thinking: what about the thousands who find releif at AA? Is there anything special going on there, or is it, as I suspect, mass hypnosis? I'm still fairly new at this, and a few of the xtian things still make me wonder at times.

Actually, the statistical success rate of AA is roughly the same as for people who simply go cold turkey - about 5%. Some people are going to get sober when they work at it. Some aren't.

AA is a religious organization. Sure, some people find comfort in it. People have found comfort in religion for millenia - there's nothing special about it in AA. It's the same work you'd otherwise do to get sober, but combined with a bunch of ritual from AA.

Cooper got old, settled down, bought a house, and took up golf. Such is the fate of a lot of wild youths. While he was settling down and going all "normal", he took up conventional religion as well.

The Golf was what got him off the juice. Everytime he felt the urge he'd go to the range.

The God thing goes back to Furnier sr, who was a Preacher

From Wiki

"His grandfather, Thurman Sylvester Furnier, was an Apostle in The Church of Jesus Christ with Headquarters in Monongahela, Pennsylvania. Vincent's father was an Elder."

If he was a drunk, you'd not drop him, but just because he has a worse addiction you do... some fan!

More from Alice

"Although he doesn't like to boast of his religion, Cooper has confirmed in interviews that he is in fact a born again Christian. He has avoided "celebrity Christianity" because, as Cooper states himself: "it's really easy to focus on Alice Cooper and not on Christ. I'm a rock singer. I'm nothing more than that. I'm not a philosopher. I consider myself low on the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians. So, don't look for answers from me"

Any guesses on when he enters the universalist phase of his beliefs? Agnostic? I personally am a huge Ozzy fan and he is "Catholic" by all accounts but seems to hold a more theist/agnostic view of things at best. Doesn't bother me any since I don't worship the guy and I can still enjoy the music just fine (even with the mentions of "god" and "savior" in the occasional song).

mwc

I tend to be a pragmatist about religion and addictive personalities. Long as they're not telling me their way is the only way, then I support them in what ever keeps them from the bottle, the needle or the pipe... It's like those people who say there's no moral compass with out God... if their belief stops them going out and killing people, raping minors (or miners... you can never tell with people), mugging the elderly or holding up banks, then I tend to think 'more power to you'... I don't need that sort of crap, but hey I don't have an OCD type personality...

Even though I knew the stage act was all pretend, I loved the anything-goes attitude. Makes sense, the OCD angle. Mark Farner found Jay-sus too, and he was a bit of a druggie in his day.

thands to all

Penn & Teller did a story on their "Bullshit" program about the lack of success of 12 step programs. Might try googling it or renting the dvd for that season. If I remember right, it had Gary Busey on it or Mel Gibson as a recovering addict helped by AA and god. P&T showed how those in & out of AA have the same recovery rate.

I'm still going to listen to Alice Cooper. His music sure as shit isn't christian. And if he does come out with a Christian album, I don't have to buy it.

Gimmie 'Trash', 'Hey Stoopid', or 'Brutal Planet' any day.

This is probably a stupid question but how can "Alice" be a man? All the Alices I have ever known were women and I've known quite a few in my time...

David Mustaine is also a born again Christian, but you would never guess it. I just saw Megadeth a few days ago, and Mustaine, in his "Mustaine for President" hype, said everyone who votes for him gets a blowjob. Also said in his ideal world, in one day, everyone watches a football game, drinks beer, watches [Megadeth] play, and everybody gets laid."

Not exactly something a normal Christian would say.

Then I got thinking: what about the thousands who find releif at AA? Is there anything special going on there, or is it, as I suspect, mass hypnosis? I'm still fairly new at this, and a few of the xtian things still make me wonder at times.

Actually, the statistical success rate of AA is roughly the same as for people who simply go cold turkey - about 5%. Some people are going to get sober when they work at it. Some aren't.

AA is a religious organization. Sure, some people find comfort in it. People have found comfort in religion for millenia - there's nothing special about it in AA. It's the same work you'd otherwise do to get sober, but combined with a bunch of ritual from AA.

Cooper got old, settled down, bought a house, and took up golf. Such is the fate of a lot of wild youths. While he was settling down and going all "normal", he took up conventional religion as well.

There are some good non-religious approaches WRT addiction that have better success rates than AA.

One of the problems with AA is that it encourages you to admit that you are powerless and to spend lots of time talking about/dwelling on your addiction. That's not psychologically healthy, or helpful.

Cooper took up Golf in 1978, IIRC. He gives that the credit for getting him straight and keeping him straight.