Goodbye Jesus

Israeli Archaeologists Find Temple Mount Quarry

mwc

From here.

JERUSALEM (AFP) - A quarry which supplied blocks of stone for the construction of the second Jewish Temple has been uncovered in an area north of Jerusalem, an Israeli archaeologist said on Sunday.

The "sensational" pit was unearthed some two months ago during regular inspections ahead of construction work at a site some four kilometres (three miles) north of Temple Mount, Yuval Baruch of the country's antiquities authority told reporters.

Temple Mount, constructed by King Herod, was destroyed by the Romans in 70 A.D. and its only remaining vestige -- the Western Wall -- is considered Judaism's holiest site.

It is also where today stands the Al Aqsa mosque, the third holiest site for Islam.

"We have uncovered the quarry where the blocks used for the construction of the Second Temple were extracted some 2,000 years ago," Baruch said.

The quarry is located in the Jewish ultra-Orthodox neighbourhood of Ramat Shlomo in east Jerusalem, which Israel occupied in 1967.

"We immediately understood the exceptional importance of this quarry, and from a historic point of view this is a sensational discovery," he said.

The quarry's white rock, which resembles marble, and its huge five-to-seven tonne blocks "are unprecedented and similar to those of the Western Wall," he said.

Tools and coins from King Herod's time were also uncovered at the site.

No sign of jesus yet but we're getting closer to the right time period. Everything else about that story is being verified. Keep your fingers crossed.

mwc

From here.
Tools and coins from King Herod's time were also uncovered at the site.

No sign of jesus yet but we're getting closer to the right time period. Everything else about that story is being verified. Keep your fingers crossed.

mwc

Wasn't there some prophesy that they would find this quarry right before the beast emerges? I'm sure someone will find one if not. I won't be one bit surprised if they find not only coins from King Herod's time, but dollar bills with the face of Jesus on them, thus being the last final sign before he comes back to set up his kingdom on that site, and use some of that ancient currency.

Hmmm....can't think of any prophecies off the top of my head. I imagine some people might see this as a sign that the temple is about to be rebuilt (maybe they think it needs to be built from the same stone Herod used to update the second temple...which is silly but silly never stopped the true believer).

mwc

• 2 weeks later...

mwc

:)MWC, if we are going to take this literally, then I suppose Jesus may have come back... as we might have found the tomb right? :wink:

Seriously, what significance is there of finding this temple? Is there a religious connotation to something? Or is it that everyone can quit fighting over the same temple spot in Jerusalem, and we can now allow the Muslims to have that temple and the Jews can now have the other temple? :shrug:

Thanks MWC! :thanks:

:)MWC, if we are going to take this literally, then I suppose Jesus may have come back... as we might have found the tomb right? :wink:

If it makes you happy then that was jesus' tomb. :)

Seriously, what significance is there of finding this temple? Is there a religious connotation to something? Or is it that everyone can quit fighting over the same temple spot in Jerusalem, and we can now allow the Muslims to have that temple and the Jews can now have the other temple? :shrug:

This isn't a temple but just the quarry that Herod used to upgrade the temple. An interesting find that answers where the materials came from but not much more.

They won't stop fighting over Mt. Moriah until, well, I can't imagine a time. The Egyptians were there with a temple first (that we know of but maybe second...odds are the hill was used in various ways for a long time). The Canaanite pagans there next (with a temple to Asherah and/or some other goddess...she shared with YHWH and others for time it seems). The Jews after that. The Romans after them. The Jews tried and failed briefly here. And now the Muslims rule the roost. I think that's everyone with an actual temple building and in the right order.

Personally I think it's about the stupidest damn thing to think your god needs a special chunk of land for whatever reason and the whole Tent of Meeting in Exodus shows that YHWH is willing and able to travel (just build him a magic Winnebago and he's ready to hit the road). So the land only means something to the people and not the "god."

Maybe the Jews could go back to their other temple in Egypt? It was closed in 74CE after the one in Jerusalem was destroyed. It doesn't exist today either but maybe the Egyptians will be a little easier to work with? Nah. Probably not.

mwc

Personally I think it's about the stupidest damn thing to think your god needs a special chunk of land for whatever reason and the whole Tent of Meeting in Exodus shows that YHWH is willing and able to travel (just build him a magic Winnebago and he's ready to hit the road). So the land only means something to the people and not the "god."

Shhhh..... not too loud. If the Christians hear all they need to do is put up a tent somewhere in Israel and have some guy stand in it with pomegranates tied to his pants for the Lord to come back to his "temple", then we're in some deep shit! Let them keep thinking it's stone walls that'll get Jesus to come back, and not something is simple as some sewn canvas.

But you're partially right that God doesn't need land, it's really just four walls and roof of any sort to protect him from that nasty desert sun out there. His spirit-skin is really susceptible to UV rays, especially after 2000 years! . :phew:

Fuckin' A, man! Did they find any of the wine Jesus transmuted from water? No? Till then they can find Mary's fuckin' placenta for all the proof it'll provide that any of the supernatural events of the bible actually occurred.

Shhhh..... not too loud. If the Christians hear all they need to do is put up a tent somewhere in Israel and have some guy stand in it with pomegranates tied to his pants for the Lord to come back to his "temple", then we're in some deep shit! Let them keep thinking it's stone walls that'll get Jesus to come back, and not something is simple as some sewn canvas.

Dear magic sky man please let it be your will that this thing come to pass...

*Alakazam*

b37829191.jpg

b37829849.jpg

:eek: Holy sheep shit! It worked. And from last year even.

mwc

:eek: Holy sheep shit! It worked. And from last year even.

mwc

Oh oh!! :twitch: Now all that needs to happen is for the antichrist to go in there and then blamo! The sky rips open and Jesus comes galloping out of the clouds on a white horsey, then the giant Staypuff Marshmallow Man, who is the Traveler will stamp on people and cars and everything and Jesus will get caught in the plasma stream and put into storage.

Something like that.

ghost_busters_jesus.jpg

Now all that needs to happen is for the antichrist to go in there and then blamo!

Yeah, fine. I'll go in there. I'll need a little help with the air fare. :grin:

mwc