Goodbye Jesus

Are Mega-preachers Scandal Prone

par4dcourse

I think mega-preachers are more scandal-prone than others. When you have a lot of money and a lot of power (as they do), then you have more incentive to do whatever it takes to hold on to the money and power. Combine that incentive with the money and power they already have and you've got a formula for abuse.

As for the sex scandals, I doubt that mega-preachers are any more prone to those than regular preachers - they all have sex drives. What may be different is the celebrity factor where mega preachers have more people who want to sleep with them since they are celebrities. And, when they are caught it's big news so we all hear about it. You only hear about the scandals of small time preachers if you know someone from their congregation or it makes it into the local news or FFRF's Freethought Today Black Collar Crime section.

I read the article but don't know many of the avatars in it. However, I do know that people with a strong eye for big business have a penchant for turning every lousy raincloud into a pretty penny. This includes mega-preachers. You just can't keep them from doing it. They will do it by foul or fair play and if you confront them on it they will always have an answer ready that leaves you speechless.

By the time you know why their answer doesn't exactly add up they're so far down the road you can't catch up with them. When and if you do manage to get them in a corner they will attack you something fierce. This is why you have to have all your ducks in a row before you corner them. One of those ducks is whether or how much you value your life. I would guess they are more scandal prone by their very nature.

I read the article but don't know many of the avatars in it. However, I do know that people with a strong eye for big business have a penchant for turning every lousy raincloud into a pretty penny. This includes mega-preachers. You just can't keep them from doing it. They will do it by foul or fair play and if you confront them on it they will always have an answer ready that leaves you speechless.

I agree. I was thinking the same thing as I read her comment that she planned to become the next "face of domestic violence." Gimme a break...

I think the biggest temptation to give in to immorality comes from the idea that these men and women are only in public as much as any other 'talking head', so they feel that they can program their lives in such a way as to keep the general population away from knowledge of their private activities. IOW, the preacher acts like a rock star or a movie star. He 'performs' his routine for the masses, then he expects that his money and power are going to shield him when it's time for the facade to come down.

Actually, beyond that, I'd like to submit that it's the DIRTY ONES who BECOME the big-name preachers in the first place, because:

A] there's always a crowd of hypocrites waiting to listen to preachers rail against sin as a smokescreen for their own sins

and

B] they are running so fast from their OWN personal failings that their preaching style becomes a way to try and convince themselves that they are 'victorious in Jayzus'.

I NEVER listen to anyone with national/international influence speaking in the name of some 'god', unless it's obvious that the fruit of their labors is different than most. In short, I don't want to hear about a 'god' from a person whose 'god' makes them as rich and worldly and slick as any politician. The louder they yell, I figure it's because they have more to distract us from.