Goodbye Jesus

Has Science Explained Life After Death?

1oddmanout

i found this nice article from DIGG.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-l...after-death.htm

Even when I was an ardent Reformed adherent, I always wondered why we are so ready to call things we don't understand "supernatural" or a 'miracle' (GLORY :HaHa: ), when we just haven't figured out the science yet. I heard one speaker say that the Bernouli principle (lift vs gravity) always existed, we just didn't figure it out before the Wright brothers. I imagine, even in the modern 19th century, an airplane would be called supernatural (and probably witchcraft).

I've been dead once, nothing to report back - sorry.

Life after death belongs in the sociology or theology departments, not science. There is no scientific reason to assume that something survives the death of the body to continue on to have another "life".

NDEs are not proof, and that is what the article is about. The person "brain dead" for 45 minutes, is only "brain dead" to the machines monitoring the brain. There was likely some trace of activity at the core. Who knows how long the dying mind stays active at it's core?

That's one of the reason's I choose cremation for my burial. I don't want to be in a fictious afterlife for god knows how long... Minutes might seem like days inside that distorted bubble... No thanks. I will take whatever the afterlife brings, but I don't want to experience a virtual reality played by all the crap in my subconsious.

Oh and the OBEs are not a sign of death. People doing drugs have them too and they aren't dead, so that part does not prove anything either.

Dead means you cease to exist, so if one is dead, how can they be alive after they are dead? That is an oxymoron.

Dead means you cease to exist, so if one is dead, how can they be alive after they are dead? That is an oxymoron.

No not really. You failed to exist before you existed correct? It happened once in endless time and space for *whatever* reason... So, why do you limit it to only once? You *can* cease to exist, then exist again, in theory. Of course you will have no memory of it, since that's a function of the brain.

No not really. You failed to exist before you existed correct? It happened once in endless time and space for *whatever* reason... So, why do you limit it to only once? You *can* cease to exist, then exist again, in theory. Of course you will have no memory of it, since that's a function of the brain.

Who's theory :)

Somebody's got a hold of the enigma of consciousness ?

Self-awareness is a problematic evolution of our complex organic brains and is just a feature that separates you from an amoeba.

The only way to live after death would be to re-create the supporting organic structure of yourself and then REBOOT your brain with a synaptic image backup of your brain from a specific time of your life. But then would you be yourself or just a copy ? (Shwarzvinegar made a movie about this :)

Well, mine for one. Nobody has gotten hold of the "enigma of consciousness" .

My entire theory is based *solely* on *infinity being truly infinite and endless". If science ever discovers there is an end to it then it would totally destroy the theory, and I am ok with that.

The idea is in a truly infinite universe, the existance of one proves the existance of the same, and countless variations of the same. Prove infinity has an end and its shot in the head.

I cannot prove it does not have an end, so therefore it is theory, not belief.

Every night, when you sleep, you lose all consciousness and then when you wake your consciousness returns. So I see no problem with the idea that someone could in theory cease to exist and then exist again. An interesting idea...

There is something strange about consciousness. during the course of your life every single atom will have changed - and yet there will be an illusion that somehow you are the same person. It's the structure and not the parts that makes someone conscious.

This opens the doors to all kinds of possibilities. Robots could be made that are conscious. A copy could be made of your brain - and some version of you be reanimated after you are dead - and then you would be alive again!

Makes you wonder where the consciousness goes inbetween times...

Isn't consciousness a kind of connectedness anyway? Our brains process information in a particular way - and this makes us aware of the world around us. The subjective experience of being conscious is a potential that always exists in matter and only needs the right kind of structuring to make it happen. In a way consciousness is one tiny part of the universe becoming aware of the rest of it.

There's no need to carry this all the way to some kind of panpsychism or pantheism. After all, there is absolutely no evidence that there is something conscious going on in non-living, unstructured matter. In fact the notion is patently absurd, since it is clear that it is the structure of the brain that causes consciousness.

But on the other hand, matters pertaining to consciousness could be far, far stranger than unimaginative minds can conceive.