Goodbye Jesus

Can An Atheist Hold Office In Nc?

par4dcourse

From an article in today's local fish-wrapper, The Charlotte Observer: According to Article 6, section 8 of the NC constitution, "'The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.' This is a constitution that was approved by NC voters in 1970."

Lest we think this is limited to the south, something of this sort is in the constitution of 6 other states: along with the Carolinas, theres Arkansas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Texas according to the article.

Unbelievable that in the 21st century, we still have such an obviously unconstitutional law. :eek:

Comments?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Any Constitution experts out there? Does the ban on religious tests apply to the states or just to the Feds?

Article 6 - Debts, Supremacy, Oaths

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

I guess I just answered my own question.

The Big C always holds precidence over any little state cs. A state can strengthen the Big C, but they can't contradict it. This would be a contradiction I would think and would not survive a challenge.

Not that it matters. Voters in NC would never elect an admitted atheist to anything but the thinnest of offices.

The Big C always holds precidence over any little state cs. A state can strengthen the Big C, but they can't contradict it. This would be a contradiction I would think and would not survive a challenge.

Not that it matters. Voters in NC would never elect an admitted atheist to anything but the thinnest of offices.

Exactly as Vigile says. Unconstitutional laws are always put on the books, there they sit until someone picks up the challenge and fights it. An atheist would have to have the funds behind him/her to be able to challenge this all the way thru. Of course this would be out of principle and to remove it from the books as they won't ever win an election. However, who wants to waste their time, money and attach themselves with the big red letter A in buybull country? The law of course then would be ruled unconstitutional but never the less it stays there until challenged. Much like many of the BS laws Bush and Company have passed.

Voters in NC would never elect an admitted atheist to anything but the thinnest of offices.

This is most likely true in my estimation Vigile. I'd bet the people of my state would rank atheists down there with pedophiles and the like.

I keep a low profile here about my status as an exChristian.

From my understanding of the Big C is that it does say is that the government cannot have an establishment of religion. Often, the governments of europe had national churches...Church of England, Roman Catholic, etc, they were the "Official" churches. That is what it was meant to avoid. It does not say that you can ban the states from preventing a nonbeliever from holding office, just that the state is not to establish a state church.

If you read my direct quote from the US Constitution posted above, it clearly states there can be no religious test or any government office, state or federal.

From my understanding of the Big C is that it does say is that the government cannot have an establishment of religion. Often, the governments of europe had national churches...Church of England, Roman Catholic, etc, they were the "Official" churches. That is what it was meant to avoid. It does not say that you can ban the states from preventing a nonbeliever from holding office, just that the state is not to establish a state church.

Well, they screwed that dog... here, where we have an official church, we really don't give a rat's bottom what people believe or don't... We've had Jews, Athiests... even even a couple of Roman Catholics...

Voters in NC would never elect an admitted atheist to anything but the thinnest of offices.

This is most likely true in my estimation Vigile. I'd bet the people of my state would rank atheists down there with pedophiles and the like.

Well, that comes of living in a place that is like the Balkans...

I haven't had the backlash I was expecting to my de-conversion, just a "poor ignorant thing" attitude. The JW's havent' been back, so that's a plus. I don't introduce myself as "hi, I'm Larry and I'm and atheist" but if religion comes up in conversation, I'll confess. I'm disabled since my heart attack, but if I was trying to fly low on the job radar, I might be a little quieter.

I haven't had the backlash I was expecting to my de-conversion, just a "poor ignorant thing" attitude. The JW's havent' been back, so that's a plus. I don't introduce myself as "hi, I'm Larry and I'm and atheist" but if religion comes up in conversation, I'll confess. I'm disabled since my heart attack, but if I was trying to fly low on the job radar, I might be a little quieter.

Yeah Larry, that's about the way I approach it too. If it comes up in conversation I just say that I am a heathen. Somehow heathen sounds better than atheist.

The thing is though, if I am pressed I will admit to being an atheist but I rarely think of myself in those terms. I am much more likely to say that I am a naturalist or something along those lines. The label of atheist gives no information about what I do believe.

But there are other heathens, humanists, naturalists, atheists and whatnot in NC. The trick I think is finding those people without causing a big stir in the process.

But there are other heathens, humanists, naturalists, atheists and whatnot in NC. The trick I think is finding those people without causing a big stir in the process.

There are many free spirits in Asheville, a city I visit frequently. The visitor cannot help but note a distinct bohemian undercurrent, particularly downtown.

Howdy all you heathen tarheels! Good to know you all are out there. I have known about this law for a while and it does bother me. I live in Eastern NC and have learned to keep my mouth shut. I did express some doubts to some of my xtain friends hoping to start some intelligent dialogue, but I only got that "deer in the headlights" stare. They just could not comprehend..oh well.

As for labeling myself, I kinda like calling myself a "nontheist" sounds a little more fuffly.. :grin: