Goodbye Jesus

John Lennon...

I'm a huge Beatle/Lennon fan, and "Imagine" popped on my iPod this morning as I was surfing the net. Every Dec 8, I have a "Beatle Day" where I listen to Lennon's tunes all day, etc. Even though it is not quite December yet, I popped on the Lennon playlist and looked John up on Wikki today.

Then I clicked on the link of his killer (I won't use his name, as one reason he killed John was for noteriety), and this caught my attention and I thought I'd post it here as yet another example of xtian compassion and love:

Chapman recalls having listened to the Plastic Ono Band album in the weeks before the murder and stated: "I would listen to this music and I would get angry at him, for saying that he didn't believe in God... and that he didn't believe in the Beatles. This was another thing that angered me, even though this record had been done at least ten years previously. I just wanted to scream out loud, 'Who does he think he is, saying these things about God and heaven and the Beatles?' Saying that he doesn't believe in Jesus and things like that. At that point, my mind was going through a total blackness of anger and rage. So I brought the Lennon book home, into this Catcher in the Rye milieu where my mindset is Holden Caulfield and anti-phoniness."[29] Chapman had begun praying to the devil, as well as to God, for strength.[citation needed] He later stated that, while Holden was not violent, he did "have a violent thought of shooting someone, of emptying a revolver into this fellow's stomach, someone that had done him wrong" despite being "a very sensitive person and he probably would not have killed anybody as I did. But that's fiction and reality was standing in front [of] the Dakota."

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Yeah, Chapman is loony tunes - he had a fantasy love/hate thing with Lennon for years. Then he got obsessed by Lennon's remarks about Jesus and that was a contributing factor to Chapman's psychosis and eventual murder of Lennon. Chapman is also another example of a mentally ill person who is completely ignored until he does something terrible. That's why the prisions are full of mentally ill inmates.

There is no telling how many cases of psychosis got started by religious obsession.

Some of the biggest Beatles fans I know are Xians.

I never know how they reconcile Lennon's remarks with both their religion and their love of the Beatles - or that an obsessed Jesus freak killed John.

Once I heard the craziest conspiracy theory about Lennon's death on a radio talk show a few years back. Some weirdo called in and said that Ronald Regan hated John Lennon for his anti-god remarks, and wanted him assasinated. First he wanted to hire Stephen King as the hitman, but it turned out that King is a fan of the Beatles, so Regan hired some mentally ill guy to do the hit job. When I heard that I thought Where do people get this crazy ideas? :HaHa:

I clearly remember the night John was murdered. I had just boarded a bus to get to my gig at an all-night restaurant, and the driver and a passenger were discussing it. A huge part of my world fell out from under my feet at that moment, never to be recovered.

I never know how they reconcile Lennon's remarks with both their religion and their love of the Beatles - or that an obsessed Jesus freak killed John.

I don't know how they reconcile ALOT of things!

:twitch::shrug:

I clearly remember the night John was murdered. I had just boarded a bus to get to my gig at an all-night restaurant, and the driver and a passenger were discussing it. A huge part of my world fell out from under my feet at that moment, never to be recovered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuknBhy-lN4

The song "God" set to the news of Lennon's death. It's a sad video, but if you look at the first picture after Lennon sings "I don't believe in Hitler"...you'll get a laugh.

I was an art student in college when Lennon was murdered. I will never forget it. It was devestating. For years I had admired Lennon, and I cried for days.

The printmaking classroom where I was working at had black crepe on the door, and black was draped around other places on the campus. My printmaking professor was a big Lennon fan also and he made me a tape of many of Lennon's songs and some of the newscasts on the radio, which were playing nonstop. It is nice to think back on his kindness.

You know, having grown up in a world of 5-minute-of-famers unceremoniously propped up and knocked down by the "entertainment" industry one after the other as soon as their appeal has been squeezed for every last red cent it's worth, I sometimes wonder what it may have been like to grow up in a time when a single person seemed to have been the focal point of the beliefs and culture of virtually an entire generation.

Yeah, Chapman is loony tunes - he had a fantasy love/hate thing with Lennon for years. Then he got obsessed by Lennon's remarks about Jesus and that was a contributing factor to Chapman's psychosis and eventual murder of Lennon. Chapman is also another example of a mentally ill person who is completely ignored until he does something terrible. That's why the prisions are full of mentally ill inmates.

There is no telling how many cases of psychosis got started by religious obsession.

In the future I guarantee they will find some insane way to make John Lennon into a Christian. Just like they made Jesus into a messiah.

In the future I guarantee they will find some insane way to make John Lennon into a Christian. Just like they made Jesus into a messiah.

There is always the possibility that some other type of Christian- flavored, mutated religion could form around him, with Lennon as a messiah figure. The Beatles were certainly seen as godlike figures by many at the height of their fame. I have read interviews with Lennon where he described all the people in wheelchairs that were brought to their concerts. It was one of the most distressing things to him.

It is interesting to think of what religion will develop in the future when Christianity ceases to be believable to the majority.